“A place suitable for royals”

Grand Hotel Des Iles Borromees & Spa
Ranked #8 of 115 Restaurants in Stresa
Price range: US$0 - US$31
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Restaurant of the Grand Hotel des Iles Borromees - Elegant - Gluten free - Reservations welcome.
Reviewed August 7, 2018 via mobile

Old building which gave known a lit in its history but renovated many times and know has a mixed of ancient and modern
Very big room with lake view fantastic furniture
Excellent service
Breakfast in a class of its own
Bar very good
Highly recommend to anyone

2  Thank draramon

Reviewed July 29, 2018

What's not to like - probably the best food in Stresa - €56 for a well balanced and deliciously cooked three course menu. Views are as to die for as the food. There is a choice of two for each course - between us we had all 6 options - all good. Menu changes daily. Wine reasonably priced. Waiters all very polite but not overly so. Overall our best meal of our holiday.

Do ask for a terrace table - but these cannot be guaranteed.

4  Thank gerbilsontour
Reviewed July 22, 2018 via mobile

This is what I have said every morning of our week stay here. The hotel is absolutely splendid and Grand in every way. We loved:
The ever changing lake view from our room
The complimentary massage
The breakfasts with the little birds on the terrace
And
The sumptuous dinner in the restaurant.
The staff are delightful, nothing is too much trouble and they are all cheerful and truly welcoming.
A beautiful view of the islands and an ideal spot for strolling into Stresa or touring by car.
We must come back, I cannot bear the thought of not staying in this wonderful hotel again.

1  Thank Janet R
Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

Myself and my husband went for lunch here. We were very excited with the Hemingway connection but I would advice people not to get their hopes up.

As you walk in the “Hemingway” bar is closed and apart from signage, there’s nothing really to it.

We decided to try lunch and whilst the food was lovely; the service and the cost let the whole experience down.

When asking for a table we got a grunt and we followed a gentleman to our table. My husband needed to use the facilities and whilst he was gone the same man told me the kitchen was closing, checked his watch and sighed.

I rang my husband to get back and he got back very quickly. We then waited whilst the waitors attended other tables and all of a sudden did not seem in a hurry to take our order.

We ordered drinks and water. We got 2 small glasses of water and our drinks we served. The food arrived and was tasty but still not worth the total cost of the bill. This one course lunch came to 100 Euro and to add insult to injury it took ages to take our credit card payment through their system.

I also slipped coming back from the facilities (before my 1 drink) and the man at reception gave me a dirty look. All in all a truly disappointing experience.

I’m sure if you are staying there and considerably wealthy you will be treated a lot nicer than we were.

2 stars are for the food only!

Reviewed July 7, 2018 via mobile

Lovely dinner on the terrace with view of the lake. Excellent waiters. Wind knocked a wine glass over with small amount of wine. Waiter promptly filled it with prosecco.

Lovely pasta. Also a dish with 4 pieces of different lake fish. Prices expensive but worth it. There was a daily 3 course menu for €56.

1  Thank drichia