“Lovely place with a caring host.”

Porta Garibaldi Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 273 Milan B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Lovely place with a caring host.”
Reviewed 25 September 2011

This was our first experience in a B&B. We've always stayed in hotels and I normally don't feel worried if my kids play in the hotel. I was worried of staying in a home where I've to be extra careful that my kids don't get hyper but I didn't get any room at any good hotel in Milan for the day I planned to stay. I had no choice but to take the B&B and we are happy that it happened so. We enjoyed our stay perfectly at Porta Garibaldi. My kids were co-operative and felt happy staying there. They loved the cup cakes the host had thoughtfully kept in the kitchen. If we are to go to Milan again I'll now book at Porta Garibaldi knowing that there is a place that will be safe and nice.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Shoba_R
portagaribaldi, Proprietario at Porta Garibaldi Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your kind review. We are very happy that
you had a pleasant stay at Porta Garibaldi. Our aim is to make everyone feel at
home and we understand that travelling with children can sometimes be
tiresome...we believe a freshly baked muffin will make any kid smile :) Looking
forward to having you and your nice family again with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed at Porta Garibaldi B&B in Milan for 2 nights in May 2011.
After being delayed at Glasgow airport for 7 hours due to high winds we didn't get to Porta Garibaldi until 5am! We had got in touch with the owner, Alessandra to let her know we were delayed so she was expecting us at that time! Even though it was 5am Alessandra was very welcoming and showed us around the apartment.
The Apartment is spotless, very modern and the bed is very comfortable. The fridge was well stocked with food and Alessandra had even made some home-made cakes. The coffee in the morning was fantastic!!
The B&B is in a great location, very close a piazza with a few bars and really nice restaurants. It is only a 5-10 minute walk to the city underground which will take you right into the city centre in 5 minutes.
Our train to Padova wasn't leaving till 6pm but we had to check out of the room at 11am as there were other guests coming. Alessandra was kind enough to keep our luggage for the day to allow us to do more sightseeing around Milan before catching our train to Padova.
We can't thank Alessandra enough for her help and hospitality. We had a wonderful time and highly recommend Porta Garibaldi to anyone travelling to Milan.

7 Thank GraemeandClare
Dear Guest, thank you for your appreciative review of our Bed & Breakfast. We
try to attend to the personal needs of each client, making sure that you enjoy
your stay in Milan as much as possible. Our service is individual and friendly
and we were very glad to help out. See you again soon!
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We loved the Porta Garibaldi so much that we stayed twice. And we are looking forward to our next trip to Italy so that we can return. Alessandra was the warmest and most helpful host. She made certain that we had everything we needed and answered any and all questions so that we were oriented from the minute we arrived at her B and B. She had maps and books on Milan for us to use as well as fantastic wi-fi and TV (CNN, BBC and over 200 channels). Now about breakfast-- the scrumptious home baked goodies and full breakfast (the refrigerator was stocked with everything you could possibly want) to the Nespresso coffee machine; all of these touches made us feel so welcome. The bathroom was huge and felt like being in a spa. The towels were plush and large (very difficult to find in most European hotels). There was plenty of storage for clothes, luggage, etc. Most importantly, the bed was a king and was fantastic. It was clearly new and very comfortable. When we were in Milan (mid May) the weather was unusually warm and humid. We were quite worried that we would not be comfortable as our previous hotel in France had air conditioning that was not adequate which was unfortunate as it impacted our sleep quality. We were so relieved that the air conditioner was perfect (clearly new). It kept us cool and comfortable and was a welcome relief after touring.
The location was spectacular. We loved the proximity to all of Milan's sites. We were walking distance to the Duomo and the Brera (very trendy area of shops, galleries, cafes and restaurants) as well as right next to a supermarket (Casino) for any needs. There were great restaurants and gelateria's on the same block as the B and B.
Finally on our departure day, I became quite ill with a stomach virus. It was not clear if I could make the 12 hour flight home. Alessandra was so caring and helped us immensely. It was like having a family member to guide us. The Porta Garibaldi and Alessandra will forever remain in our hearts. This place is a gem.

5 Thank ParisP68
Thank you for your wonderful review! It's gratifying to know that our constant
strive for high service and impeccable quality actually translates into making
you happy!
Best wishes and come back soon.
London
Reviewed 6 August 2011

This place was similar in concept to Bed and Ex, the B&B apartment we stayed at in Turin - see my review if interested - the idea being you get self-contained rooms/apartment next door to the owner's flat and they leave breakfast for you to prepare and eat yourself. I really like this idea, it feels like you have your own space and can come and go as you please but local advice and help are a door knock away. Should be more examples of this in the UK I think.

So, Alessandra's place is lovely. Bright, light, modern and cleverly designed to maximise space. It has everything you need for a city break to Milan and is in a great location, amongst a block of locals and around the corner from the Corso Como. There are a couple of decent-looking restaurants on the street itself (one recommemended in the guidebook in the flat) and it's also a 15-20 min walk from the Duomo and centre along some pleasant streets with chic shops and plenty of bars, cafes and restaurants to watch the Milanese strut their stuff. You can also easily get to other areas of Milan using the Porta Garabaldi metro, also close by.

So to the room. The bed is comfy. There are a couple of shelves of guide books etc in different languages, one English Lonely Planet which was very useful. There's a flat screen TV/computer screen and Wi-fi is available. In front of the bed, you have a small but perfectly-formed kitchen area with a Nespresso machine (really must get one of these!), all the crockery/utensils you'll need and lots of nice things to eat for breakfast. You'll find everything in the fridge or cupboards and we were very grateful for the fruit and homemade cakes we found - just the thing with a cup of coffee after you've dropped your bags.

The windows can be opened in the main room - you'll notice the difference in noise but that's an Italian city for you I s'pose. The double glazing is OK but there was still a bit of noise. There's a tram line on the street but this was out of action due to roadworks when we were there so don't know what noise levels would be like with it running. If you sleep normally, you'll be fine I reckon. I had my ear plugs as I sleep lightly and didn't have any probs.

Before you enter the bathroom, there are some great built-in wardrobes - that I would actually like in my flat!

The bathroom is spacious with a good shower and there are plenty of fluffy towels in the cupboards.

Other random stuff:
- If you happen to be driving, ask Alessandra if you can use her garage when booking. It was great to keep it safe off the streets. I think there was a small charge but obviously check this with her.
- There's a tiny lift up to the top floor. I'm a little claustrophobic so walked up the many flights of stairs the first time round. Needless to say I got over that pretty quickly and it was fine!
- The entrance to the block is a huge wooden door, there are lots of buzzers so find her name and ring and she'll buzz you in.

I thought this place was pretty good value compared to other soulless-looking places we looked at in Milan and it's clear that others think so as after us, the place was pretty much booked solid through the rest of the month. Good work Alessandra! I'd stay here again if I was in Milan.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank aligs
portagaribaldi, Proprietario at Porta Garibaldi Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 August 2011
thank you very much for your detailed review of my Bed & Breakfast. I am happy
that you enjoyed your stay with us and the you appreciated all the services we
offer.
For your information, when the tram line is finished the street will be even
more quiet than it is now because the new trams are electrical and almost
completely silent!
We look forward to having you with us again.
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Our stay in Porta Garibaldi B&B was so consummately delightful that it made Milan one of our favorite cities this summer, and we went back twice! The location is tip-top, with a residential feel and serenity, but within minutes walking distance to everything- restaurants and shops right down the block, Corso Como, the Brera district, Porta Garibaldi train station. The apartment is modern, beautifully and artistically set up, and eminently comfortable. The king-sized bed was, in fact, far and away the best we found in our two months in Italy and France. The kitchen is fully equipped, including a high-end cappuccino machine, abundant breakfast choices, and many thoughtful touches for guests’ pleasure and convenience. It was quite hot when we were in Milan this summer, but the air conditioning quickly cooled the flat to our comfort and relief. The best part about Porta Garibaldi B&B was the wonderful proprietor, Alessandra, who is kind, welcoming, and genuinely caring about her guests’ enjoyment. Along with ensuring that we had everything we needed, Alessandra provided cheerful travel advice and directions, and went out of her way to help us with our travels. When we returned to Milan, of course, we stayed in Porta Garibaldi B&B, and we were so happy to be back – it felt like coming home. Bravissima to Alessandra, who has made Porta Garibaldi B&B an absolutely outstanding accommodation!

4 Thank giselleSanFrancisco
Dear Guest,
I am deeply pleased to read your review and to hear that you had such a
pleasant stay with us. We try our best to make every guest feel at home because
the most important thing for us is that you feel comfortable and that you enjoy
your holiday. We will be glad to see you again at Porta Garibaldi.
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We decided to stay here after the good reviews, but were slightly disappointed. It was average. The location is good but the noise from the streets made it a bit hard to sleep, especially if you are a light sleeper like me.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank SMDgo2010
Dear Guest,
thank you for your review. I regret however to hear that you found the
apartment too noisy, considering that we put a lot of effort into modernizing
the apartment with the latest sound-proof windows. Most of our guests find that
with the air conditioning and, when necessary, with the use of ear plugs (which
we can provide upon request for light sleepers!), there are no problems at all.
Milan is a typical old Italian city and if you live in the centre you should be
prepared for some Mediterranean sounds! In any case, if you decide to stay with
us again, we will try our best to guarantee a perfect stay in Porta Garibaldi.
Hunter Valley NSW Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2011

My husband and I spent 5 busy wonderful nights in Milan staying at Porta Garibaldi. Firstly I’d like to let everyone know how much we both enjoyed Milan and to be honest, 5 days was not enough. There is so much to do just outside of the city and all make great day trips from the B & B. My husband spent 2 days at the bike race at Monza (easy to catch a train from the apartment) and took a day trip down to Bologna on a fast train to visit the Ducati factory. He caught the train down from Porta Garibaldi station, just 3 mins walk from the B & B.
I meanwhile enjoyed 3 lovely days doing day trips to Lake Como (very relaxing and scenic tour), Lake Maggiore (this area and Island Isabella is the most beautiful place I have ever visited) and the real surprise – Bergamo. We spent just half a day in this gorgeous medieval town but it wasn’t long enough to be able to really explore this interesting place. I am going back next year to do it myself and then I can spend even longer gazing at the stunning ceiling and wall art in the unassuming local church. This church to me is second only to the Sistine Chapel for its beauty and we also visited Venice, Florence and Rome, so saw many pretty churches.
I walked each day into nearly the centre of town to catch my day tours. Took about 30 mins and was a really delightful stroll. I also walked home each evening and never felt anything but completely safe and comfortable. It is a really pretty walk past all the old buildings with bright flowers on balconies, past in the evening busy vibrant cafes and I also found a good sized supermarket to buy some wine and nibbles for dinner along the way. The trickiest part is crossing the streets, have your wits around you when doing this but at 8am on a weekend it was very quiet, not so on week days however.
We also walked into town to the Duomo. Do make the effort to find the way up onto the roof top. Is well worth the effort. We climbed the stairs as we could not find the office that sold the tickets for the lift (it was in another building, not within the church complex at all).
We didn’t realise initially what great value this B & B was as it was our first one of 5 & b &bs that we stayed at through out Italy for the month we visited. What I particularly loved about Porta Garbaldi was the set up. It was like we were living in Milan amongst all the locals. As it is a self contained apartment, we discovered picnics on the floor looking out to the street after a long busy day sight seeing, was just perfect most nights. There was a little supermarket about 2 mins out the front door, but if you wanted to eat out heaps of cafes and restaurants located within 5 -10 mins walk.
The apartment has a well set up little kitchen, big bathroom and heaps of storage space with hanging provisions and even an iron. The free internet connection is excellent and the little table makes a perfect place for the computer. Alessandra is wonderful and speaks very good English indeed. She met us when we arrived, answered all our question, gave us a map, circled good places to eat and told us to tell her when we needed the breakfast goods restocked and then she left us be. It was really nice to be able to get your own breakfast at the time that suited and eat it in your pjs if that took your fancy. There was a good selection of cereals, yoghurt, fruit, breads, spreads and bacon and eggs to cook if you wished. But the absolute best part was the coffee machine! Don’t worry it is super easy to use but makes brilliant expresso. Almost forgot to mention the yummy home cooked cakes and pastries that Alessandra makes. They go so well with the coffee.
I hope that Alessandra never changes this set up as it was wonderful to be so independent but have someone just there (next door actually) if you needed them. We will be back next year in Milan and I would not consider looking anywhere else but here to stay.
One last tip if you arrive at either Cardona or Central station definitely take a taxi to the apartment. It costs less than 10 euro (we arrived at Cardona from Milan airport and left from Central). Also the taxi ride is worth it just for the thrill of being in the traffic in Italy. Our first taxi ride which was less than 10 minutes involved, shouting, hand waving, whizzing around little windy side streets, u turns, checking of a map whilst in motion, but all done in a friendly, happy manner. We knew we were truly in Italy after that ride! The big plus is they will drop you off right near the door, (well ours did) and even point to where you need to enter. It is a bit tricky as it is just a big wooden door with a bunch of listings and gold buttons to buzz Alessandra to let her know you have arrived and she can let you into the complex.
Enjoy Milan and Porta Garibaldi like we did, you won’t be disappointed.

5 Thank Suz003
Dear Guest,
thank you for your positive review and for all the useful tips you share with
other fellow travelers. It is a great pleasure to read that you have enjoyed
your stay with us and that you will return soon to Porta Garibaldi, we are
looking forward to having you again!