“Great Easter in Milan”
Review of Hotel Berna

Hotel Berna
Ranked #11 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My friend and I stayed here for the Easter weekend 2012. My first impression of this hotel is the fantastic customer service. All staff was extremely friendly and helpful, even recommended a nearby restaurant where we had the best steak ever. Our single rooms were cosy with a modern and spotless bathroom /shower. Breakfast was a very large buffet spread with lots of good choices. The hotel also had many free little items such as a free mini bar (non-alcoholic) and as it was Easter, chocolates, which were very nice unexpected touches. Excellent location, 1 min to Metro, 3 mins Central Station and Airport buses, Duomo just 4 stops.
The only negative thing for me: on return to my room on the ground floor, for my last night, I found my room covered in Ants, I was immediately given a new room, and was compensated for the inconvenience caused. Despite this mishap I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 April 2012

We booked the hotel based on its reviews, price and location but most of all because the Hotel Website stated “For your Comfort....The air-conditioning system can be regulated individually and will allow you to have exactly the temperature you desire”. That to me means 24/7 365 individual room aircon/heating in a temperature range of at least 16C to 26C. Not in this hotel. The Gold temperature gauge only registered 20C– 24C, not that the aircon worked anyway.

We stayed 4 nights from 2nd April in ‘Quality’ double room 104 which is situated facing the street on the first floor above reception. On entering our room, which had just been made ready, the heat increased rapidly when the door was closed to a rather warm 25C. I went down to reception to ask how to work the aircon as the room was extremely hot, to which I was informed “it was not on and the heat was due to a freak in weather conditions, it should be much colder at this time of year, we have even had snow”. (18C outside - 25C inside???) Stupid me for not knowing when booking that there would be a heat wave outside and an even bigger heat wave inside the Hotel; rather than assuming the Hotel would deliver on its website promises. Paid in advance for all 4 nights, so no refund, so why should the Hotel care.

Despite temperatures in the following days maxing at around 16-18C our room never fell below 25C. Windows tilted open during the day (Tilt & Open windows so no security risk) to try and cool the oven down were shut by the room staff, so it was just as hot when we returned for the day. To cool the room down we had to fully open the window, and leave them tilted when we went out in the evening.

The only way we could sleep was to tilt the window to allow some fresh cold air into the room which of course meant we were continually awoken by street noise, refuse trucks, the odd party, etc. Once the temperature had dropped we could close the window to shut out the noise, only to wake up a couple of hours later dripping in perspiration. Four nights of hell. Even my wife, who rarely complaints about heat, complained here. Had I not paid upfront I would have walked out after the first night.

Clues to Management might point to ‘being above reception’, normally the warmest part of a Hotel (kitchen excepted). Sound proofing technology (100% by the way) keeps sound out but heat in. Ventilation grills at 2.4m and 3m, with no cool fresh air entering below.

Other complaints as I have had to write this review:

-The room was ‘just’ big enough, fortunately very high ceilings added to the illusion of space.
-You could only watch the TV sitting on the bed.
-Coffee/Tea/Kettle provided but no milk!!! (or creamer, Milac, UHT, anything to make your drink turn a shade whiter).
-The bathroom was a joke, all the facilities, but being only around 3 feet wide you had to very carefully negotiate yourself around the toilet pan to squeeze yourself into the very compact shower (No bath – no problem for us).
-The internet connection was spasmodic, but when connected was very fast (website dependant of course). I think the problem may be down to the server or ISP not the Wi-Fi connection itself. As other guests have complained perhaps some further investigation is required.
-On checkout we were not asked if we enjoyed our stay, it was just assumed that we did. I was offered a card with my personal login details for future bookings which I declined.
-An Email address was ‘demanded’ allegedly for internet connection. Not required, as the user id and password are not required either. It was needed by the Hotel to set up a ‘future’ account for me. I find collection of information in this way totally obnoxious.
-An Email sent after we checked out (=unsolicited SPAM) has been responded to.

Apart from all of this the Hotel lived up to its reviews, even exceeding them when returning to collect our luggage and being offered free bottled water for our trip to the airport.

Unfortunately, despite all the very good points, when someone has had such an appalling stay it would be impossible for me to recommend this hotel to anyone but my worst enemy. I have seen some management responses to reviews (some of which seem to have disappeared). Comments on freak weather being outside your control merely amplify your inability to deliver website promises. Comments about each room being different begs the question why the management allocated us such a poor room.

To validate this review HRN 76088797 Octopus.com

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank ncp1951
CarloFontana-GM, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Dear Guest,

my name is Carlo Fontana and I’m the GM of the Hotel Berna, which my family has run and operated since 1973 with a great pride for hospitality

We are happy to see you just joined the community of Tripadvisor and welcome all customers feedbacks, positive or negative, especially those from which we can learn and hopefully improve upon the quality of our services.

We are sincerely quite saddened and surprised to read your comment, especially because none of your points of dissatisfaction – room temperature issue a part – were ever reported to our Staff during your 4 nights stay.

Upon your arrival we were in fact more then glad to offer you a “free upgrade” and assign one of our Superior rooms (instead of the Quality booked), which was completely renovated in August 2011. If informed, we would have certainly shown you another room, hoping to find one to your liking.

With regard to the warm temperature, we can reconfirm what we explained in a previous feeback.

During the time of your stay, the city of Milan has experienced the warmest temperature in the last 50 years, reaching a stunning 22/25 degrees during the day and 8 degrees at night (usual temperature is considered to be 8/12 degrees).

All hotels in Milan are used to switch on their air-conditioning at the end of May and honestly were totally surprised by this unusual event and not ready to react. On April 12th the climate has returned to the seasonal one and our guests are still requiring the heating. This means that in those very exceptional days the temperatures of some rooms were warmer than usual – mainly depending on the climate change – and were really very difficult to be managed; also the opening of the window could not really help because of the warm temperature outside. For this situation, which was unfortunately unforeseen and out of our control, I truly apologize.

I don’t think it’s necessary and useful for our readers to enter in details into your other points, as they are already mentioned and widely commented in other feedbacks with other ones: buffet breakfast, free analcoholic minibar, free Wifi, free 24 hours coffee corner, service and Staff, etc.

I’m very glad to see you liked our wonderful location, the cleanliness and the general quality of our services, which are also appreciated by the vast majorit yof our guests.

Every single customer is very important to us and, as a hotel manager, I want all of our customer's experiences to be positive from the first moment they pass through our doors so that they will come back again and again.

I’m so sorry this was not your experience and have to accept that our sincere desire to please everyone is not always possible.

Best regards,

Reviewed 10 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Berna for one night on our way back from Venice.
My first impression of Hotel Berna was how friendly the staff were. They were very helpful in regard to restaurants etc. The Breakfast was also lovely. Loads to choose from. We stayed in a double room, which was spacious with lovely big mirrors on wardrobes. The bathroom is a bit small, but its got everything you need. The hotel is 5 min walk to cetrale station and 8 min walk to shopping street(buenos aires) WOrth Your money's stay!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Monique L
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Extremely close to the train station, like a 3 minute walk. The rooms were top notch as was the room service. Breakfast is a very large buffet spread with lots of good Italian breakfast choices. Hotel staff was very helpful with check-in and dealing with luggage after check out. Will definitely stay here again next time I am in Milan.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I just returned from 4 nights at Hotel Berna in Milan. It was an outstanding stay and would definitely return and recommend the hotel to other travelers.

Pros:
- Great location- Very close to central station and the metro.
- Clean, comfortable rooms- Comfy bed, lots of TV stations, nice sized wardrobe, HOT shower with great water pressure.
- Free Mini-bar! No alcohol, but it was stocked with sodas, waters, fruit juice, etc.
- Great breakfast buffet - lots of food! Eggs, meats, cheeses, toasts & muffins, fruit, many drink choices.
- Free wifi - it was a bit hard to connect to at times, but everywhere else I stayed on the trip had the same problem. Good coverage in the whole hotel.
- very nice staff - the front desk folks and the bartender were all great and very friendly.

Cons:
- Not a lot of great restaurants or bars nearby. There were plenty to choose from, but you'll most likely spend your time out in other parts of the city.

I thought the hotel was a very good value for the money. The hotel was clean, the shower was great, the staff was super friendly. I would definitely return to Hotel Berna!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank rp239119
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I let myself be influenced by reviews I read here but I was really dissappointed for what I got from this hotel. I don't understand the reason for the hype as, at its best, I think it's just average.
It's true that the location is excellent, 5 minutes walking from Milan Central Station, no problems to find it. But there is a plethora of other hotels around the area to choose from, this is just another one. Whether those others may offer better service or cheaper rates, I don't know, I should have researched more.
Their PR is fantastic. They send you emails welcoming you as soon as you make your booking and some days prior to your arrival. They also create a personal page asking for your preferences. Too bad that information you provide may not be used to make your stay more comfortable.
I had a quite uncomfortable stay because my room was too hot. I don't know whether that was unseasonal in Milan or not, as it was my first time there (I may receive that as an excuse) but I had stayed at several less pretentious hotels in Italy that did provide air conditioner all year round.
Because room was too hot (not to mention the small size, as that is quite normal for single rooms), I had to keep the window open to cool it and try to sleep, but many noises from the street outside woke me up several times through the night. I could barely sleep in this hotel.
I tried to use the wifi internet provided, (which by the way is becoming also the standard, nothing extraordinary about it), but it was too slow! And it stopped several times. Even worse, had to work uncomfortably seated with laptop on the bed, as there was no power point available around the desk, which could be just used then as a table.
On arrival, the first bad impression was the patronizing attitude from reception staff toward guests. However, I have to say that some of them were nice sometimes, but I never saw them really going out of their way to be friendly with guests, as mentioned by other travelers.
Breakfast was not included in my room rate. This was the only one of the 7 hotels I have stayed during my 2 week holidays in Italy were I had to pay extra for breakfast. It was also the most expensive but certainly not the best one. Ah! but I should have known better and paid a higher rate, may be the response I will receive, let's see.
In all, I agree that 3 stars should be the rating for this hotel, and that includes their great efforts at public relations.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank AusverGeorge
CarloFontana-GM, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Dear AusverGeorge

We carefully read your comment, which certainly comes from an experienced traveler, and realize that when expectations run too high because of others guests comments, it becomes more and more difficult to surprise and satisfy our guests and that is always harder to fully meet and please everyone.

It seems that the main reason of your unsatisfactory experience was related to the room temperature, for which I clearly apologize.

In effect, during your time of stay, the city of Milan has experienced a very unusual climate, with temperatures reaching during the day an incredible 22 degrees (the warmest for this period in the last 50 years), which is normally expected at the end of May / beginning of June.

Honestly, as almost all hotels in Milan, we have been totally surprised by such unusual event and were not jet ready to start the air conditioning. Just imagine that at the beginning of April
– and we have already turned on our air-conditioning - we are experiencing the opposite situation with a minimum temperature of 7 degrees , having guests requiring heating instead of air-conditioning.

Unfortunately it’s more and more difficult to promptly react to such sudden climate changes, which are unfortunately unforeseen out of our control.

We were instead a bit surprised to read that you consider us not to be a four star hotel. We are a small family owned hotel, rooms are all different and not standard like found in chain hotels. We wish you would have reported your dissatisfaction with your room to the Reception Staff and we would have certainly shown you some of our upper categories (we offer 6 room categories that vary in size, furniture, upholstery, and amenities), helping you finding finding for only a small supplement the right typology.

Following your comment we provided to check the quality of our WiFi connection (we were the first Hotel In Italy to offer this service free of charge) and no particular issues were found.

Our main goal is to make all our guests feel welcome and comfortable while they are with us. We are very proud of our staff. They are always on hand to assist our guests in any way possible. We know there are areas where we can always improve and it seems, the majority of our guests appreciate our customer service.

Another major point of strength is considered to be our buffet breakfast. It is offered in all room rates (except the Room only product) and tries to satisfy the tastes of our international clientele.

We invite you to come back and on your next visit, should you wish for a better and larger room, do not hesitate to ask our reception staff at time of booking. They will be happy to assist you in booking a room that best suits your needs.

You are a valued guest and you feedback is important to us.

Carlo Fontana, GM & Staff

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Me and My wife stayed at this hotel for 5 days and it was great experience. Location is great close to the station. Rooms are nice and comfortable , we stayed in new wing, I found them a bit clustered but very comfortable. Breakfast is awesome with so many choices. Staff was very very nice and helpful in guiding us were all to go. At first I and my wife was skeptical but when we stayed at this hotel it was great. Room had large windows and great view of the street. We really enjoyed the stay and any time in Milan we will blindly choose this hotel. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple