Hotel Berna
US$874
US$663
Agoda.com
7,061 results
All reviewscentral stationrubber duckcarrot juicethe main hotelmini barfree soft drinksbreakfast buffetexcellent hotelfree wifiroom temperaturemilano centralesuperior roomtea and coffeeminute walksingle roommalpensa airportvisiting milan
Reviewed April 11, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for the Easter weekend 2012. My first impression of this hotel is the fantastic customer service. All staff was extremely friendly and helpful, even recommended a nearby restaurant where we had the best steak ever. Our single rooms were cosy with a modern and spotless bathroom /shower. Breakfast was a very large buffet spread with lots of good choices. The hotel also had many free little items such as a free mini bar (non-alcoholic) and as it was Easter, chocolates, which were very nice unexpected touches. Excellent location, 1 min to Metro, 3 mins Central Station and Airport buses, Duomo just 4 stops.
The only negative thing for me: on return to my room on the ground floor, for my last night, I found my room covered in Ants, I was immediately given a new room, and was compensated for the inconvenience caused. Despite this mishap I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We booked the hotel based on its reviews, price and location but most of all because the Hotel Website stated “For your Comfort....The air-conditioning system can be regulated individually and will allow you to have exactly the temperature you desire”. That to me means 24/7 365 individual room aircon/heating in a temperature range of at least 16C to 26C. Not in this hotel. The Gold temperature gauge only registered 20C– 24C, not that the aircon worked anyway.

We stayed 4 nights from 2nd April in ‘Quality’ double room 104 which is situated facing the street on the first floor above reception. On entering our room, which had just been made ready, the heat increased rapidly when the door was closed to a rather warm 25C. I went down to reception to ask how to work the aircon as the room was extremely hot, to which I was informed “it was not on and the heat was due to a freak in weather conditions, it should be much colder at this time of year, we have even had snow”. (18C outside - 25C inside???) Stupid me for not knowing when booking that there would be a heat wave outside and an even bigger heat wave inside the Hotel; rather than assuming the Hotel would deliver on its website promises. Paid in advance for all 4 nights, so no refund, so why should the Hotel care.

Despite temperatures in the following days maxing at around 16-18C our room never fell below 25C. Windows tilted open during the day (Tilt & Open windows so no security risk) to try and cool the oven down were shut by the room staff, so it was just as hot when we returned for the day. To cool the room down we had to fully open the window, and leave them tilted when we went out in the evening.

The only way we could sleep was to tilt the window to allow some fresh cold air into the room which of course meant we were continually awoken by street noise, refuse trucks, the odd party, etc. Once the temperature had dropped we could close the window to shut out the noise, only to wake up a couple of hours later dripping in perspiration. Four nights of hell. Even my wife, who rarely complaints about heat, complained here. Had I not paid upfront I would have walked out after the first night.

Clues to Management might point to ‘being above reception’, normally the warmest part of a Hotel (kitchen excepted). Sound proofing technology (100% by the way) keeps sound out but heat in. Ventilation grills at 2.4m and 3m, with no cool fresh air entering below.

Other complaints as I have had to write this review:

-The room was ‘just’ big enough, fortunately very high ceilings added to the illusion of space.
-You could only watch the TV sitting on the bed.
-Coffee/Tea/Kettle provided but no milk!!! (or creamer, Milac, UHT, anything to make your drink turn a shade whiter).
-The bathroom was a joke, all the facilities, but being only around 3 feet wide you had to very carefully negotiate yourself around the toilet pan to squeeze yourself into the very compact shower (No bath – no problem for us).
-The internet connection was spasmodic, but when connected was very fast (website dependant of course). I think the problem may be down to the server or ISP not the Wi-Fi connection itself. As other guests have complained perhaps some further investigation is required.
-On checkout we were not asked if we enjoyed our stay, it was just assumed that we did. I was offered a card with my personal login details for future bookings which I declined.
-An Email address was ‘demanded’ allegedly for internet connection. Not required, as the user id and password are not required either. It was needed by the Hotel to set up a ‘future’ account for me. I find collection of information in this way totally obnoxious.
-An Email sent after we checked out (=unsolicited SPAM) has been responded to.

Apart from all of this the Hotel lived up to its reviews, even exceeding them when returning to collect our luggage and being offered free bottled water for our trip to the airport.

Unfortunately, despite all the very good points, when someone has had such an appalling stay it would be impossible for me to recommend this hotel to anyone but my worst enemy. I have seen some management responses to reviews (some of which seem to have disappeared). Comments on freak weather being outside your control merely amplify your inability to deliver website promises. Comments about each room being different begs the question why the management allocated us such a poor room.

To validate this review HRN 76088797 Octopus.com

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank ncp1951
CarloFontana-GM, General Manager at Hotel Berna, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Dear Guest,

my name is Carlo Fontana and I’m the GM of the Hotel Berna, which my family has run and operated since 1973 with a great pride for hospitality

We are happy to see you just joined the community of Tripadvisor and welcome all customers feedbacks, positive or negative, especially those from which we can learn and hopefully improve upon the quality of our services.

We are sincerely quite saddened and surprised to read your comment, especially because none of your points of dissatisfaction – room temperature issue a part – were ever reported to our Staff during your 4 nights stay.

Upon your arrival we were in fact more then glad to offer you a “free upgrade” and assign one of our Superior rooms (instead of the Quality booked), which was completely renovated in August 2011. If informed, we would have certainly shown you another room, hoping to find one to your liking.

With regard to the warm temperature, we can reconfirm what we explained in a previous feeback.

During the time of your stay, the city of Milan has experienced the warmest temperature in the last 50 years, reaching a stunning 22/25 degrees during the day and 8 degrees at night (usual temperature is considered to be 8/12 degrees).

All hotels in Milan are used to switch on their air-conditioning at the end of May and honestly were totally surprised by this unusual event and not ready to react. On April 12th the climate has returned to the seasonal one and our guests are still requiring the heating. This means that in those very exceptional days the temperatures of some rooms were warmer than usual – mainly depending on the climate change – and were really very difficult to be managed; also the opening of the window could not really help because of the warm temperature outside. For this situation, which was unfortunately unforeseen and out of our control, I truly apologize.

I don’t think it’s necessary and useful for our readers to enter in details into your other points, as they are already mentioned and widely commented in other feedbacks with other ones: buffet breakfast, free analcoholic minibar, free Wifi, free 24 hours coffee corner, service and Staff, etc.

I’m very glad to see you liked our wonderful location, the cleanliness and the general quality of our services, which are also appreciated by the vast majorit yof our guests.

Every single customer is very important to us and, as a hotel manager, I want all of our customer's experiences to be positive from the first moment they pass through our doors so that they will come back again and again.

I’m so sorry this was not your experience and have to accept that our sincere desire to please everyone is not always possible.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Berna for one night on our way back from Venice.
My first impression of Hotel Berna was how friendly the staff were. They were very helpful in regard to restaurants etc. The Breakfast was also lovely. Loads to choose from. We stayed in a double room, which was spacious with lovely big mirrors on wardrobes. The bathroom is a bit small, but its got everything you need. The hotel is 5 min walk to cetrale station and 8 min walk to shopping street(buenos aires) WOrth Your money's stay!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Monique L
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Extremely close to the train station, like a 3 minute walk. The rooms were top notch as was the room service. Breakfast is a very large buffet spread with lots of good Italian breakfast choices. Hotel staff was very helpful with check-in and dealing with luggage after check out. Will definitely stay here again next time I am in Milan.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I just returned from 4 nights at Hotel Berna in Milan. It was an outstanding stay and would definitely return and recommend the hotel to other travelers.

Pros:
- Great location- Very close to central station and the metro.
- Clean, comfortable rooms- Comfy bed, lots of TV stations, nice sized wardrobe, HOT shower with great water pressure.
- Free Mini-bar! No alcohol, but it was stocked with sodas, waters, fruit juice, etc.
- Great breakfast buffet - lots of food! Eggs, meats, cheeses, toasts & muffins, fruit, many drink choices.
- Free wifi - it was a bit hard to connect to at times, but everywhere else I stayed on the trip had the same problem. Good coverage in the whole hotel.
- very nice staff - the front desk folks and the bartender were all great and very friendly.

Cons:
- Not a lot of great restaurants or bars nearby. There were plenty to choose from, but you'll most likely spend your time out in other parts of the city.

I thought the hotel was a very good value for the money. The hotel was clean, the shower was great, the staff was super friendly. I would definitely return to Hotel Berna!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank rp239119