All reviews central station milano centrale malpensa bus decent stay complimentary breakfast by european standards cleaned every day one night stay the air conditioning minute walk poor breakfast good size double room excellent location clean rooms milan cathedral breakfast room
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Me and my girlfriend stayed at the Flora hotel for two nights in february and we were very satisfied about our stay there. The hotel is nicely decorated, its clean and has a very nice staff and service. The hotel is located just 100 metres from the central train station where you easily can get to the airport and to the cathedral by metro. I really recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I have been in this hotel in the middle of January. Before that we were living in hotel Berna for 3 days ( which is close to Flora). At first we had planed to visit Bergamo for 2 days, but we liked Milan very much and decided not to go anywhere else, but to stay in Milan for 2 days more. Unfortunately, Berna did not have available rooms (the hotel was fully booked). So, we chose Flora hotel to stay in. We came in Flora hotel and booked the room 1 day in advance (the receptionist told us that we have to pay for 1 night in order to book) and we paid. When I asked the receptionist any document confirming my payment and booking, he answered me that everything is in the computer and at checking out they will give us the neccessary documents. I did not mind. At 12 o' clock next day we occupied our room ( it was ready for us) and everything was OK! The rooms was very clean (even with slippers, toothpaste and brush provided!). The breakfast was good for 3 stars hotel (we liked it) and after breakfast we paid for 1 more night (the last one). We had an early flight, so we went out from our room at 4.10 to catch a bus which departures to the airport at 4.30. When we came up to the receptionist for checking out, he greeted us not politely and asked to wait 1 minute because he cant open the necessary programme in the computer. After waiting of 10 minutes, I asked what is problem. The receptionist (he was young I had not seen him before) told me that he has to check in the computer the payment , but it needs time for opening because it is not set up for a new date yet. But in an exercise book in front of him he said it is marked that we paid, but he must see in computer to be sure! And added that he did not know that we would make check out at night because we did not inform in advance and did not ask for wake-up call. I was not told before that I have to inform before that I will do at night check out! And why I need wake-up call if I have it on my mobile?! His argumentation was very strange! Then he started asking the dates we paid. After 5 minutes he opened computer and said that it is Ok and told us good bye. All this was so unpleasant for me and my mother and we had a big stress because we were afraid that we would not manage to catch our bus and we would be late for our flight. thanks to God, that we cought our bus, but we had to run with bags as dogs! The receptionist did not even apologise for such inconviniences!!!I think the reception must be ready for clients' check out non stop for 24 hours. While booking the hotel I asked whether they offer package breakfast for early flights and the answer was "NO". Then why I must inform in advance that I would leave early morning?! Only in the bus, I got remembered that he did not give me any documents, then why he needed to open the computer if in note book was written that we paid?! It is really sad that we had such terrible check out! because price, the hotel and breakfast we liked! I do not recommend this hotel to anybody! P.S. Big thanks to the man who helped us to carry baggage to our room the first day (we met him on the first floor). Unfortunately I dont know his name and position! He was very polite with us and his English was good!

• Stayed: January 2011
HotelFloraMilano, Direttore at Flora Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2011

Dear Sirs,

We thank you very much for your review. We are very glad you liked our hotel but we are very sad for the mentioned night unconvenience. We guess unfortunately your check out was during our system update (it's a procedure that takes about 5 minutes and it's made every night): during this operation the system it's not available and properly the receptionist wanted to wait till the process was ended to check if your bill was paid...We are very sorry for this unconvenience (even if i would not give 2/5 to an hotel if my stay was overall good as you reported just because the printout of the bill has been slow...)
Having said that we thank you very much for your review and we hope to have you as our guest in the future .

Reviewed January 6, 2011

I have stayed in several hotels in this street and this one was the best one (however believe that interiors of all of them designed the same designer in the same time). The room was suprisingly big as well as the bathroom, everything perfectly clean. The breakfast area is a bit simple, however the breakfast is good comparing to standards in Italy. Probably the only drawback is rather expensive internet - unbelievable in 21st century. The staff is helpfull, the location in nearby to train station (not next to it so it is a safe area), very handy for the bus heading to airport. Would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Marketa from Prague,

thank you very much for your apreciations! We would really like to "lodge" you again in our hotel if you''ll visit Milan again.

...About internet we really believe that 5 euro per day is a reasonable price: instead of rising the rates we left internet wi -fi as an additional charge...

Reviewed December 26, 2010

My wife and I arrived here rather late at night and found the reception was quite cordial. We were given a room of the first floor and at first sight all was well. It was later in the evening that we found that the walls of this hotel must be thick cardboard as the couple in the next room decided to spend most of the night talking so our sleep was interrupted. This happened both nights we spent there, so by the end we were rather pleased to leave.
The location of the hotel is very close to the station, which, if arriving or departing by train is a good thing, but it is about two kilometers away from the main square of the Milan Cathedral.
The room we had was tastefully decorated and very clean as was the ensuite. There is no airconditioning allowed (so we were told) so the hotel must be extremely hot in the summer months.
The breakfast was adequate but hardly adverturous and as the room is small this does not tempt one to stay long over the meal.
We had to pay for three night although we only stayed for two as we couldn’t get out of Barcelona due to a National Strike but this cut no ice with Milan hotel and we had to pay the full three nights. WIFI is available for a fee of 7 euros for 24 hours (I think) and works well up in the rooms.
The hotel was reasonable but I would not rush back to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
HotelFloraMilano, Direttore at Flora Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2010

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for having reviewed our Hotel. We are very sorry for the mentioned unconvenience:

"It was later in the evening that we found that the walls of this hotel must be thick cardboard"

You are right. Our rooms walls are not soundproof ...but we also have rooms that don't border with other rooms and don't face on the street (= less noise). If you complained with our staff about the noise we would be very glad to switch your room into an other one less noisy.

"There is no airconditioning allowed (so we were told) so the hotel must be extremely hot in the summer months."

This just to avoid misunderstanding: OUR HOTEL HAS GOT THE AIR CONDITIONING!!! Problably our staff, correctly, told you that air conditioning (i.e. the possibility to decrease the temperature) is switched off beetwen October and May while is on between the end of May and the beginning of October. During your stay A/C was off because it was the end of October and the system was already off (Milan in October has a maximum temperature of 15 C°!)

"WIFI is available for a fee of 7 euros for 24 hours"

Wrong answer :-)! Wi-fi costs 5 euro per day...it works with prepaid cards you can purchase at the reception desk...

Thank you again for your precious review. We really hope again to have you as a guest in the future...may be during summer so that you can easily test by your own our A/C system...

Reviewed December 17, 2010

Although the hotel is near the Central Station and the subway is near, the position is not a very good one. The cleanliness is average, the room is quite small. The breakfast does not vary from one day to another, and if you stay there more then three days, it might become annoying. The biggest problem for us is that we have been there in winter, when in the night was about -5 degrees C. In the room, there is only a centralised heating system and it is always being closed form 12 Am to 7 Am in the night. After first night, we made a complain to the reception room and ask to let no heat in the day, because we were not staying in the hotel, and to turn it on, all night long. They promised us it would be solved, but in the evening, when we came back to the hotel, we found out that it had been only a lie. When we asked for explanation, a person from the reception room told us that is not his problem that is cold in the room, in the night, and all he could do is to give us another blanket. Also is was very impolite when we asked for an electrical heater, telling us that he does not care and we should go buying any, if we are not content with the cold in the room.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
HotelFloraMilano, Direttore at Flora Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2010

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much to have reviewed our hotel. We are sorry that you did not have a good experience at our hotel .
But unfortunately, in this case, we cannot learn too much from your critics.
Let's see what went wrong:

1) "Although the hotel is near the Central Station and the subway is near, the position is not a very good one"

...Well, this is the very first time we received such a complain as everyone say our position is hardly more convenient: Our hotel is 100 metres far from the Central Station (where the buses to the airports leave too), the subway is 20 metres far from the hotel and the Duomo is 4 metro stops or 25 minutes walk. Moreover, if you say that the hotel is close to the Central Station and to the subway it's strange you say it's not in good position!

2) "The cleanliness is average".

We apologize for that: we train our staff to follow a meticolous procedure for cleaning rooms. Usually our customers use to say this is a very clean hotel rather than just "average"

3) "room is quite small".

Our rooms are the standard size of three stars Milan city center hotels. By the way we also have bigger rooms than the one assigned to you and if you just asked our staff to change your room into a bigger one it would be very glad to change it.

4) "The breakfast does not vary from one day to another, and if you stay there more then three days, it might become annoying".

This is quite funny. Well, we accept this critic but we invite you to ponderate it to our cathegory: a three star hotel, even if it's a very good three star hotel, should be reviewed as a three star hotel. If someone buy an average good car should not complain if it's not fast as a Ferrari...our breakfast has been improved a lot in these last years and basically we now offer fruit, cakes, eggs, salami, ham, toasts, fruit juice etc. in addition to coffe, cappucino, bread and marmalade and butter...yes every day it is still the same but we don't know how many hotel vary their breakfast every day...problably only some five stars hotel. If we reason in this way one could also complain for the noisiness of the clock in the breakfast room...

5) "The biggest problem for us is that we have been there in winter, when in the night was about -5 degrees C. In the room, there is only a centralised heating system and it is always being closed form 12 Am to 7 Am in the night".

Even if the temperature outside during your stay was not - 5 degrees (but that's not the point), unfortunately we are forced by the municipality law to switch off the heater from midnight to 7 Am. The Milan municipality law states that the heater have to be switched on only 14 hours per day: this serves to prevent the waste of energy and avoid too much pollution. Also in the citizens houses heater is off during that period. By the way this provision does not impede our rooms and common areas to reach at least 21 C degrees (we tested it!). In fact we never received such a complain by other guests in 50 years. So this is the law and you can see we couldn't do anything: We are sorry but we couldn't go against the law (and most important against the planet) just because one guest wants his room to be 28 C degrees...

6) "Also is was very impolite when we asked for an electrical heater, telling us that he does not care and we should go buying any, if we are not content with the cold in the room."

No, that's false! Nobody at the reception told you that!

Having said that we are sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay in our hotel.
In any case we hope to have you as a guest in the future...