“Not really worth it”

Antica Locanda Leonardo
Ranked #116 of 428 Hotels in Milan
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Well Milan being Milan I suppose things aren't going to be cheap. The location itself is within moderate walking distance to the Duomo, Galleria and Via Dante. It is however very close the Leonardo's Last Supper - so thumbs up there. The accommodation itself is nothing very fancy at all (and yes it is quite misleading from a certain travel book and the hotel website). The bathroom was not very functional - small shower/bath combination with those shower curtains that stick to you, toilet paper dispenser out of reaching distance from toilet and to top it off you have to pay for the toiletries. The bedroom was quite small with a gigantic wooden closet that takes up a good chunk of space. They're going for a classy theme, but I really think they're not quite there. For 185 euro a night I found it a little over priced. I agree with most other comments in the 'average' section here.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 May 2012

..right next to Santa Maria Delle Grazie and some great restaurants and cafés. Also, short walk from Cadorna Metro station.
Friendly staff, clean, comfortable rooms and adequate breakfast. Ideal for a short break.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Having only a few days to enjoy Milan on this trip, I had wanted to book at a unique hotel and found Antica Loconda Leonardo. The accommodations were very nice and my hosts were even more gracious than I could have imagined. I had met a friend from Spain and had booked my room for several days. Much to my dismay, my calculations were incorrect and I had needed another night. Returning from my day trip Lago di Como, I was surprised to find my bag at the front desk. Despite my blunder they offered me a room at the same rate and it was an upgrade from my previous room, which was nicely appointed and quite lovely to begin with. While situated on a busy boulevard, this hotel is very serene and the garden tranquil.
I had a drink at the bar and met wonderful travelers and spoke in depth with many of the other residents and staff. The proximity to SMDG is perfect and the train station is within walking distance.

Room Tip: Garden view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank elcamino363
Reviewed 31 March 2012

2 weeks ago I stayed 4 days at the Antica Locanda Leonardo while I was traveling with my cousin ( a University Professor) and her students. Fortunately for me as it turned out, a Congress in their hotel took all the rooms at their property. So I checked for nearby lodging down the block from theirs and after reading positive reviews and the hotel's information, chose the Antica. The reviews were 'right on the money' and was a delightful place I enthusiastically recommend. My large high-ceiling double room opened onto a small garden that was only mine furnished with a table and chairs! The bathroom was generous with very nice amenities and a teddy bear on the door. Not feeling too well the staff was concerned how I was feeling and what they could do to make me more comfortable. When I visited the breakfast area during the evening reception the night manager insisted I drink chamomile tea and fretted about my well-being.
The Santa Maria Delle Grazie Church was less than 5 minutes away and the Science Museum a block away. In a 10-15 minute walk you're at Castello Sforzesco in one direction and the Duomo, the Galleria, Designer shops and La Scala in the other. The staff provided a long list of nearby and local osterias, trattorias and restaurants which we enjoyed trying delicious dishes.

Room Tip: Ask for the garden room
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank sflindad
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed here during a rare Italian snowstorm in early February, 2012. We found this charming small hotel to be centrally located, with easy access to public transportation. It is located in an upscale area, on a busy main thoroughfare, but set back from the street on an interior courtyard, and surprisingly quiet, even at night. Our room overlooked a small (and, at the time, snowcovered), garden. The room was not large, but nicely furnished and maintained, and had a very nice bathroom. We thought the price paid for the room was reasonable, given that Milan is not a cheap town. We managed to snag one of the hotel's own parking spaces, right in front of the hotel, left our car there for the two night stay, and used public transportation...saving us a considerable amount, Milan parking prices are on a par with New York.

The Duomo was very impressive, and we were able to see the Last Supper without a wait, about a block away from the hotel. Would certainly recommend this hotel to those who do not want to spend an absurd amount on a hotel room.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank foodiefromCO
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This is a very basic neat & clean hotel with outstanding friendly service. Quaint & quirky.
The location was perfect in a very peaceful area located back off the busy main road.
Lovely basic breakfast.
Extremely helpful owners & staff who speak lovely English.
We walked everywhere.
Incredible restaurants in the close vicinity which I highly recommend are...
Colonial Cafe - does an amazing happy hour for 15euros, 1 drink & all you can eat from a sensational buffet! cool vibe also.
Cafe Ottilina for the best coffee & snack.
Trattoria Meneghina (almost next door) is sensational & one of our highlight dinners in Italy.
Run by a gorgeous quirky family

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We spent a night here after watching a football game. The room is quiet and clean, the service friendly, the bed friendly and the location plumb for exploring the city. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends