“Convenient location. Garden Setting very peaceful in crazy city”
Review of Charly

Charly
Ranked #183 of 427 Hotels in Milan
San Francisco, California
“Convenient location. Garden Setting very peaceful in crazy city”
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I chose this hotel partially for the location. Once you locate Vitruvio, and get your bearings, it's a very convenient spot. The Milan street plan is very complicated, but once you figure out how to get to the big sites (Duomo, Galleria, La Scala) you can do well by walking. It is near the train station, but on a quiet street, and if you have a room in the back of the hotel (top floor had a small balcony) it's very peaceful.

The staff was helpful, and the buffet breakfast spread was one of the best I saw in 3 weeks in Italy. And the sunroom/dining room has you virtually in the garden. You need to be down there to use the free wifi, but again, it's a nice spot to spend some time. Someone mentioned how "gay" the hotel was. At least a couple of the desk clerks gave information out to guests, when they were asked. But most of the clientele was straight couples, or other European travellers. Very few Americans have sought this place out, and it's a good deal, when the dollar isn't going too far.

The room, and especially the bathroom were nicely updated, and I think the Air Conditioning was working when I was there, but wasn't needed much, and it was nice with the window open.

Room Tip: Quiet spot, near a major train station.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We only stayed one day/night in Milan prior to our flight out of Malpensa. We arrived at 10 am and were prepared to leave our bags and head into the city, but to our pleasant surprise they had a room ready for us within 10 minutes. During our wait, I was able to use a hallway bathroom to change clothes and my husband waited in the charming garden. The check in process was swift and efficient. The receptionist was pleasant and helpful, giving us a map and showing us where the nearest Metro was located (only 2 blocks away). The room was clean with a double bed, air conditioning and LCD TV. The bed was rather hard, but the pillows soft. A large wardrobe closet was available with a good number of hangers. The bathroom was large and modern. The shower was clean and of good size. A large window in the room overlooked the street (a side street) but we didn't hear any noise as there were also shutters that closed off the noise. The hotel is only 4 blocks from Milan Centrale making it very convenient for our train to Malpensa. And the neighborhood seemed very safe. FYI--Centrale now has a Malpensa Express train to the airport for Euro 7 per person and runs once per hour. The night clerk was also helpful and woke us in the morning as requested. Our stay was brief, but pleasant and I would recommend Hotel Charly for any length of stay--especially since we only paid Euro 75. The only con was that the internet was not working.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My daughter and I just finished our Mediterranean cruise when we decided to stay in Milan for a couple of days before heading back home. We planned to explore Milan in the shortest, most practical and economical way and Charly was a good choice. It was walking distance from the Central station, cozy, with clean crisp linen, and breakfast just enough to start your day and is located a few steps away from our room. We just needed a place to sleep,take our shower and leave our luggage while exploring- with the money I saved staying in Charly instead of a more expensive fancy hotel , I was able to buy a couple of nice jumper for my daughter.

Room Tip: If you have big luggage, request the ground floor
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 18 May 2011

The bed consisted of a mattress on top of metal springs, something like you would find in an army barracks. It was so uncomfortable, my back was beginning to bother me. I ended up sleeping on the support between the two mattresses, i.e. the wooden section. At least it was flat, supported my back and was off the floor. The hotel should invest in better beds for the sake of their guests. At 60 euros per nite, I would have rather stayed in a youth hostel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank sierrarancher
Singapore
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We stop over Milan for one night. The hotel is easy to find. Four blocks away from the train station. The reception is ok but not very friendly. The room is small for three single beds but it come with a balcony. Cleanliness is okay but not fantastic. Everything come with a charge, we had to pay euro 5 for Internet and another eur 5 for air condition. However the air-condition was not working despite the receptionist tried his best to switch it on.

Breakfast serves with croissant/ bread, yoghurt and beverages provided. The dining area is with a garden view hence it is quite enjoyable.

There are few restaurants nearby. Hence you can find food easily. I might consider stay here again if I m on a budget trip and for a short stay at milan.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Jubi_ltc
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Small, elegant, luxurious, comfortable... all these describe this hotel. It is 5 minute walk away from busy shopping street, metro station, but is on a quiet street, so no noise and crowds. Lovely personnel, adorable breakfast area with garden.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Here I am with my review on this "fantastic" hotel though I woldn't even call it a hotel... which I was so stupid to book through the booking com. I booked it let's say starting with the 21th but the situation has changed so I re-booked it 1 day prior to firstly agree date of the 20th of Jan, received the confirmation by e-mail from them and checked in on the 20th as it was no problem at all as I was advised. Having checked in i was chocked with the region it was situated as it looked like it was not safe to leave it after 6 o'clock in the evening, as well as with the general look, and other tourists who looked weird for me. The abcense of an english-speaking concierge and 5-floors with no lift didn't make me happier as well. I tried to find out if there found a way to satisfy my requirement about a smoking room, received the answer that they were not, but I can smoke on a balkony (?! it was about -10 at night- am I a pinguin?) The room I was given was situated straight below roof, it was no mini bar there and it was forbidden to smoke. The bed looked suspiciously, the TV set was fixed under the ceiling and everywhere there were notions not to leave anything decent in the room (mac book, purse, make up, iphone, nokia - jewellery - i coudn't understand if I had to take all of the lugguage with me if I needed to leave it for the town - as well there was no safe box with a pin-code which I suggested every hotel has owed for already a mid of century. When I entered the balcone I was strongly recommended to smoke on, actually the wall which was higher than me was the only thing I was lucky to view.Probably Kalsson would have been the only guest happy to be staying there, but definitely it was not me. So I made up my mind to search for another hotel which would at least look like a hotel - reception, lifts, concierge, you know, so less than in 10 min I found Bristol in just 200 metres from this awful place and which had 4*** and cost only 90 euro per night and where most of extra services were for free - wifi, breakfast in room, bag in the room number, etc. opposite to Charly's cost per night which was was 70 euro. Strange indeed 2 stars difference cost was 20 eoru higher. does it mean each star costs 10 euro? If yes, Charly's cost per night should be reviewed to 20 per night, iMHO. When I came back and told the guy at the reception that I am terribly sorry but I need to move NOW, he who didn't speak english at all instantly let me know that once I leave I will have to reinburse the payment for the whole stay. In english, to my surprise. I advised him to watch me and how I was going to do that. Suddenly he agreed but asked to payed 70 euro for this day as I have already been to "my" room. I agreed and payed him 70 euro cash. I thought that was the end. But 4 days later they have charged my credit card again for the same amount for "not having showed" though I DID. I went mad and called to booking customers service in Italy with the compaint - as I DID appear, and PAYED the first night already - in fact it was my 15 min there that cost me 70 Euro but who cares. And I was really sure that they had no right to charge me for my "non-appearance" twice.. What I found out was that - his activity was absolutely legal, so my mistake was that i did NOT made all my changes through the booking com site - such as checking in the day prior to agreed. So I just gifted this charly hotel with a sum of 140 euro for NOTHING and against my will, as well I was advised I can leave any reviews I like, they don't care, thats what I was told. This was the worst experience of my whole life though I go on business trips practically each month and I have never faced such awful attitude from the personnel to the clients who use their service. I hope not everybody will have to explore this "outstanding service" himself so these ppl who are cheaters and are supplying you with a poor service the best of which are the walls in your room would have to service themselves the way they treating others. All of this is counted on your being a tourist there, not knowing the way how to sue them. Nevertheless I am grateful for this awful experience and I am not going to use booking com neither trust the pictures which promise you the nicest possible views And what if I was short of this sum of 140 Euro? Do I need suchlike situations being outside my native country at all?
Anyway I wish everybody nice trips.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business