Hotel Genius Downtown
US$157
US$135
Melia.com
  • Restaurant
Radisson Blu Hotel, Milan(Milan)(Great Value!)
US$110
Radisson Blu
  • Pool
US$275
US$266
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsvia dantegreat locationquiet side streetcastello sforzescocadorna train stationwalking distancesmall hotelminute walk from the duomomain shoppingbreakfast was includedlast supperclean roomscroissantsbreakfast roomcity centrevisiting milanwifi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Staying for a 4 night break we booked this hotel because it is in central Milan. We enjoy wandering around without having to rely too much on the public transport - this small hotel was perfect for this.
As with previous posters we feel the hotel & indeed our room is in need of a makeover. Our room on the 3rd floor had a double bed in and not much more space! The bathroom was so small, a tiny shower tray with a ill fitting curtain which once wet struck to you - making a shower a fairly unpleasant experience !!
The breakfast was the worse - served between 7-10am OK but when you arrive at 9:15 and find 2 rolls & a few pieces of ham left - I asked for cheese as the plate was empty & was told none left. This happened again the following day & although I explained I'm a vegetarian the waiter told me to eat "ham"! We went down to breakfast at 8am on the 3rd morning & it appears 1 plate of cheese & 1 of ham is put out early & once gone - well you've had it!
The night person was kinda rude although I get he didn't understand much English & didn't like the breakfast staff but Natalie was delightful so helpful with directions & just generally nice to talk too without her I wouldn't have been so good on this review.
Overall see passed the small rooms & rubbish breakfast the hotel is ideal for Central Milan & set in a lovely cobbled street - 2 mins walk from the castello & 5 mins walk from duomo.

Room Tip: Ask for the best room!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank boo5
Marco_ferreira, Direttore at Hotel Genius Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2011

Dear Guest
thank you for your pleasent review. As you already mentioned, hotel suffers from high levels of occupancy throghout the year, and repairings are made constantly to maintain our standard. Renovation like most would like (us first) would harm our philosophy of the unbeateable prices. One key to our success. Regarding breakfast, we serve continental breakfast, regardless if guest is vegetarian or muslim. In our case, we include cheese and ham. Because continental breakfast does not includes this items, the buffet layout itself is not ready to hold a platter of cheese for the entire 3 hours of service. Cheese and other items that need to be kept cool would go bad. This is the reason we serve smaller portions each time and replenish buffett more often. You might need more patience at peek times when everybody decides to have breakfast at the same time.
Every single item is guaranteed until the end except for croissant. We have them delivered and when our forecast is not accurate they might finish before expected time. Our coffee shop associate does not speaks fluent English and incomprehensions may occur. But there are many more items available. At the end, perhaps you noticed the upgraded buffet regarding to the continental breakfast that you paid for. This will be further more improved starting next month. Hope you can try it then. See you soon
warmest regards
Genius Downtown

Reviewed 6 August 2011

I had a mix up on a business trip and booked this via a late booking site as I was close to travel date.

THe hotel is located down a cobbled side street. Reception was friendly. Apart from the reception the public areas were much in need of redecoration. My room was cramped and almost completely filled by the double bed.

The furniture was old, and the bathroom was a bit of a a mess. There was a shower fitted but no drip tray, just a a drain in the bathroom floor with a shower curtain, so taking a shower meant flooding the bathroom floor. In addition the bathroom windows were not frosted and the curtains were inadequate to cover the windows so showering involved potentially making a public display of yourself.

The breakfast was included, and reasonablew if nothing to write home about. THe hotel only provides breakfast. Incidentally turning left out of the hotel and walking to the bottom of the street bringds you to a small but homely restaurant. THe manager is a chess fan, and after eating late there one night I stayed on and played chess with him and his chess pals until far too late.

Overall the Hotel Genius is good value if you get a late booking typee price. I would not be as happy to stay there if I were paying the full rate. Having said that it's in a graet location, and about 300 metres from a metro line, so great for budget traveleers.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We travelled to Milan in June 2011 and stayed at Hotel Genius Downtown. The hotel is central and in a quiet little street. The rooms are clean and large for an Italian Hotel, the breakfast is also good. The night person does not seem to be a happy person he never smilesand if you ask him anything its all too hard. We could not get into our room with the key he gave us we tried for about 5 mins. When i informed him of the problem he kept on insisting that it was the correct key but infact he had give us a different key and never apologised for being wrong. We booked a transfer with the hotel to pick us up from the airport Malpensa to the hotel for 80 euro but the driver tried to rip us off and wanted 120 euro just be aware and don't let them over charge you. Never the less we were happy with the hotel as these minor issues were resolved.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Marco_ferreira, Direttore at Hotel Genius Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Dear Guest
thank your for the time you took in sharing your thoughts with the travelling community
Regarding our night shift, made by Shovan from 24:00 to 07:00 every day, he gives his best in doing is job. He loves it and the attention and effort he puts is remarkable considering his background. Besides this, he has difficulty in communication in English and this puts a lot of pressure on him. Because all this, there is a sing next to the elevator stating our limited services at reception between times that where mentioned. We are working on this in order to deliver always more. I will show your review to him.
Regarding the car transfer it costs € 80,00 for a private deluxe sedan that seats four (less than a public taxi) and 120,00 for a mini van that seats seven. However, when car transfer is confirmed also the price is communicated in advance. and there are no more changes.
This is a serious issue and I woul like to go deeper on this. Our supplier is on the market many years now and serves the biggest hotels in milan. I never had problems on this and I would like to keep it this way. Get back to me to tell me more about the issue. If refund is due, I will do it gladly. Thank you once more for your time
Marco Ferreira

Reviewed 14 July 2011

The hotel reception seemed recently refurbished and so are the rooms. We had a four bed room which was not of the most spacious but considering the price we paid it was well worth it. The hotel is located close to Cairoli metro station which was optimal since we went to see a concert at San Siro which is on the same line. It is also about a 10 minute walk from the Duomo and close to nearby sites. Breakfast was also included and is what one would expect of a hotel of this standard.

The only drawback was one of the receptionists, a long haired guy who seemed to be working much against his will and who was picking his nose when we entered the hotel on one occasion and continued doing so even as I remarked sarcastically in Italian that he was doing little soldier statuettes (piccoli soldatini).

Overall I wanted a place where to sleep, cheap, clean, ensuite and breakfast included and very central - I got it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Good place, nice price, very well situated but management was a bit grumpy, never had a smile to us.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple