“Good food”
Review of La Motta

La Motta
Price range: US$17 - US$46
Description: Restaurant & Bistrot, appetizer, wine bar, lunch and dinner, appetizers, cocktails.
Reviewed August 20, 2018 via mobile

Stopped in for lunch after disappointing island trip. Sat outside - don’t know if there is inside seating or not.
Best dish was the monkfish rapped in pancetta - perhaps not a classical pairing but it was delicious. Also had the trout and orange ravioli which I liked again for its difference. Some may think that the orange overpowers everything else which in a sense it does but I liked the difference of it. Started with an octopus dish which was well constructed but let down by the quality of the octopus - it may be that this is meant to like it was but I have been left without an outstanding octopus dish so far on my trip.
Had a couple of different white wines by the glass which were fine without being outstanding.

Cost around 60 eu

Would come back.

1  Thank Syd M

Reviewed August 20, 2018 via mobile

Creative Italian restaurant just off the main square of Orta san Giulio. Interesting menu offering meat, fish and pasta with skilled recipes and an extensive wine list. Basic pizzas and burgers also offered at lunch. Very popular so book ahead and ask to see the ancient cellar if they are not too busy.

Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

We booked a table for lunch yesterday and had an excellent meal. The menu is diverse with an additional bistro menu with more European options. We didn’t want a huge meal so opted for something from the bistro menu; the husband had their take on fish and chips and I had the homemade hamburger. Oh my word! What superb food! Washed down with an excellent bottle of Verdicchio! The terraced courtyard is so pretty with much more room inside the main building. Staff were very knowledgeable and pleasant. Overall, it was excellent. I hope to return to try their trout ravioli! Highly recommended and a touch of class.

Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

This is place is stunning. The food is exceptional. Original not touristic well organised. Classy service. Wonderful choices. Everything was at perfection. High class

Reviewed August 5, 2018

We had arrived from Cannobio on Lake Maggiore already bearing the scars of several desultory restaurant experiences (save one outstanding exception)so having carefully researched the restaurants at Orta San Giulio we were hoping that our already diminished view of Piedmont cuisine would be rescued by La Motta. Unfortunately this was not to be . Despite a beautiful and elegant setting and (mostly) kindly attentive service, the signal that our hopes were to be dashed was already forewarned by the amuse gueule : an unidentifiable planty tasting pale puree of what may have been alfalfa sprouts but we couldn't be sure.Comparisons to the compost heap leapt too easily to mind so we passed it by. Stuffed ravioli was ordered, overwhelmingly flavoured with orange: a nice idea but zestily outweighing everything else on the plate. A piece of lamb so gamey tasting my husband asked the manager if it was ok: we were sternly informed that the dish typified the essence of Piedmont cooking -what did we know ?(perhaps more than we let on having eaten a melting and excellent lamb two days before at Ristorante Grotto S. Anna in Cannobio). The tour de catastrophe, however, was the dish of monk fish cheeks wrapped in bacon. Already unpromisingly lacklustre on the plate as fork met flesh my heart plummeted to lower depths: tough,accompanied by the kind of tastelessness which results from the wateriness of the deep freeze,the two slices of greasy,limpid bacon offering a witless form of compensation for the utter absence of flavour but appearing more like an aggressive salty two fingered salute in return.
This was a family occasion and not wanting to dent the atmosphere we headed out of there rather than complain . It lay heavily on my mind though(I needed some real insights -not money back . How was what ended up on my plate deemed acceptable? Was this really flag waving for Piedmont ?) The manager was found and,perhaps not surprisingly defended his restaurant. It is a shame that he was unable to understand that giving food back affects the spirit of an occasion and that really what we wanted was acknowledgement that visitors from outside Italy (tourists!) aren't as dim witted as we maybe taken to be .There is only so much food which can be returned after all.
Disheartened (and risk averse) we shortened our stay in San Guilio by two days and took the train to Milan where,thanks to the locals who would never accept such dismal fair , the spirit of honest,untampered and soulful cooking survives.

2  Thank susan k
LaMottaRestaurant, Proprietario at La Motta, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2018

Susan good evening, I do not dwell on personal tastes or opinions of others, that I always respect, if they are constructive. I am very regretted to read a similar review after we spoke extensively (more than 15 minutes) in my restaurant. To be precise, her husband started with a question at the end of the dinner asking where our lamb came from, after I explained to you the selected supplier who brings us the meat we discussed the taste that is strictly personal, all other customers like much, but there may be an exception ... Then we said goodbye and you left. After half an hour you came back and first wanted the attention of my room manager and then he wanted to talk to me about his dinner explaining his needs, his tastes and his philosophy of cooking. We have listened carefully (even if we were full of work with many people at the tables) and I replied that I understood it but if all the comments had made them before dinner I could personally verify what he said and possibly remedy to his problem. More than that, believe me I could not do it. To conclude, I do not think it is right that you use TripAdvisor in this way because it is a powerful weapon, especially when we are confronted, I have listened to it and have always been nice to you, I repeat such destructive reviews and this treatment could be reserved only to those who are behaved badly or was rude, but it's not my case! Best regards, Vittorio