See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed October 13, 2014

This hotel is on a side street in the old town area, just an incredible area. I was told that the building was built in the 1400s. I don't know if that is true or not. The ceilings of most of the building are old, hewn, brown beams and are just gorgeous.

Our room was large by European standards, had tile floors, a queen bed, a large armoire including a safe in it, a small round glass table which we used as a desk, two chairs with the table and a shelf with an analog TV on it. The walls had what appeared to be a hand draw line decor on them. A very nice touch. The windows swung open and there were some substantial shutters which you could open as well. Some rooms had great views of roofs, ours did not. A higher room might be better. There is an elevator which we never used.

There is no Wifi at all in the hotel. They refer you to a hotel about a block in distance away which would sell you internet access in time increments which you could spread out over time. We were there for 3 days and bought 12 hours of access for one Euro. We left time on the clock when we left.

The bathroom was acceptable. A typical prefab European shower about 2 x 2.5 feet. One door kept coming off the rail, but was easy to fix. The bathroom had a bidet and a dual flush toilet. The sink was free standing but there was a tile shelf above the sink to lay items. The bathroom was clean.

At night you have to unlock and re-lock two doors to enter and leave the hotel. This was a pain and to me a fire hazard. I saw no way of getting out of the hotel without sticking a key in those locks in poor light in a difficult situation.

There were multiple three prong Italian outlets in the room.

The door to the room had a key lock, not electronic in any way. It also did not automatically lock behind you. I walked off a couple of times without locking my room.

A free breakfast was provided with a lot of bread, pastry, fruit, fresh juice and types of meat as options. Breakfast was good.

Room Tip: A higher room overlooking neighboring roofs might be interesting.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Randy L
Reviewed October 8, 2014

Inviting location, down a cobbled street, down steps from the parking area. If you drive your car, you must park above the old town and walk down, so plan your luggage accordingly. Even so, the access was not unduly difficult. Nice room, nice breakfast. If I ever return to Orta San Giulio, this is where I will stay.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is in a lovely quiet cobbled street and just steps away from lots of great shops and restaurants. The room was small but very clean with all amenities and so quiet, we only saw one other group of guests. The hotel is really nice, the only thing is that you get given a key to let yourself in and out as reception is not open all day which is a bit weird as they have a lovely reception area where it would be nice to sit and chat. the outdoor terrace could be very nice but needs new furniture to make it more appealing, inside is so much nicer. Breakfast is adequate but very simple and only starts at 8.30 which is a tad annoying if you like to be out and about early.We did like this place and it was very reasonably priced, we would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pixi46
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over a very wet couple of days which obviously influenced our experience. We were given a good welcome however it seemed we were the only guests in the hotel as after our arrival we hardly saw anyone at reception and had to let ourselves in and out with our own key at all hours. The hot water ran out one evening so we had to call to get it fixed which happened surprisingly quickly despite there being no-one in the hotel. It was warm and cosy but we had to walk down the road to the sister hotel Leon d'Oro for breakfast which was a bit of a pain in the pouring rain. Although I can understand this was necessary due to it being a quiet period it may have been better if we were given the option to stay in the other hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HedonisticHiking
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed here for the recent Poetry on the Lake Festival and felt I was in the best place in town. Cheaper than many [nothing in Orta is particularly cheap], loads of character and a gret location. About two minutes from the taxi drop-off point - down some steps and a rather steep hill - and slightly further to the main square. Just round the corner from the main street, lots of shops, restaurants etc. in easy reach, but I didn't find it noisy at all. The room had everything I needed and was very attractively furnished, including some old wooden beams and a comfy double bed. The bathroom had an excellent shower, there was plenty of storage space and I was very comfortable. Don't know if the TV worked or not as I never tried it. There was a lift but it was in the part of the hotel which is locked at night - not a problem as the stairs were easy. Breakfast was adequate, not as good as the Hotel Piccola Olina where I stayed last time but otherwise I much preferred this hotel. I booked direct by email, they replied promptly, gave me a discount as I was attending the Festival and let me pay a deposit by sterling cheque. The staff were all friendly and helpful and mostly spoke excellent English. If I go back again this will be my first choice. Only downside: there are no views of the Lake - but you see a lot of it from almost everywhere else in the town.

Room Tip: The lift is available until mid-evening, but there are ground floor rooms if stairs are a problem.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo