“Good price-quality for longer stays”
Review of Hotel Royal Torino

Hotel Royal Torino
Ranked #108 of 130 Hotels in Turin
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I was in Turin visiting friends who were actually not that far from this hotel so it worked out nicely. And for the price I thought the Royal was a good deal. One thing my room had was those double doors--you know, you go in the door and there is the bathroom on your right, then there is another door to the bedroom. For sound and noise-conscious people like me those double doors are a godsend. I don't know why people feel the need to shout and scream and hold long cell phone conversations in hotel hallways but they always seem to, not to mention door slamming. Whatever happened in this hotel corridor, I don't know about! And that is thanks to the double doors. Also the walls seemed to be relatively thick so I could never hear my neighbors. Also the room was very clean. On the downside, the a/c wasn't working. That's kind of the American traveler's theme song by now when reviewing continental hotels. The a/c never works. Half the time it is due to some archaic city laws about when you can turn on the heat and when you can turn on the a/c and the other half of the time the hotels are just pretending the a/c doesn't work so they can save money. I don't know which it was in this case. I asked for a fan, they said they'd try, but the fan never materialized. Also the Mercure chain has a nice little feature which is the electric kettle. Coming in from America it always takes me a while to get over the jet lag and I really like being able to brew myself a cup of instant coffee at 3 a.m. Do I like instant coffee? Not particularly, but it is warm and comforting. Anyway the Royal Mercure didn't have them. When I asked, the desk person rolled their eyes and murmured something about "an internal policy." I insisted and eventually got my kettle but those things are annoying. If the kettle comes with the Mercure then they should provide the kettle and the internal policy can go to the devil. That's one of the reasons people choose a particular hotel chain, like Mercure, over Joe's Hotel. I have to say in passing though that having stayed in Mercure hotels both in Italy and in France, the Italian Mercures are not at the same standard. The staff was mostly really good. Great pizza shop right next door if you want a snack.

Room Tip: I liked the street side room better. When they gave me a courtyard side room for a few days some idi...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Not near the centre of Turin by any means, this hotel nonetheless offers very affordable accommodation at a decent standard, just not a 4 star one. The drop off zone is basically non existent, if more than two cars are using it you have to drive around the block to find a park and walk back to the hotel with luggage. Staff at reception were courteous and spoke good English, I would have expected more help with bags and directions as far as using their parking lot, being a 4 start hotel. Also to go to your room there are some steps to climb and I would have liked the offer to help with bags. Rooms are good, not big but clean. Don't open your balcony door if your room is facing C.so Regina Margherita as the smog and dirt will get in. Also, if you have a room on that side you will wake up with the first tram in the morning (at around 5:45 am), the tracks are right in front. At 65 euro/night I'll use it again but will ask for a room at the back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Hello,
we send a couple of days (and one night) there: very good hotel, relatively well located (10 minutes away from the downtown by bus, which is passing in front of the entrance).
The breakfast in the hotel is quite expensive (10€/person... I suppose it makes sense for the people staying there for a business purpose) and we could afford a good one outside the hotel, in a bar just 500 meters away, for half this price.
I was a bit disappointed by the price for the parking (14€), not mentioned at the beginning (and therefore, I thought it was for free) but the service is excellent, the room is excellent, the decoration in the lobby is nice and there's a good internet access in the room through Wi-Fi.
Therefore I recommend this hotel to you.
Philippe

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I stayed at Mercure Torino Royal as a part of a group: we were there for a conference at the nearby university. The hotel has lights and shadows, I'd say.

First of all, the negatives:

1) They mismatched a booking of one of us, so it was just for luck that they had a free room for the night - and we couldn't know until late the following morning if he could have stayed the next days or would have been moved to another hotel.
2) Another one of our group arrived at the hotel and was given a room which was already taken, and where one guy was sleeping when he entered. They changed his room but the other one smell of smoke, so they changed it again and power plugs were not working; at last they changed it for the third time and everything was OK.
3) One person entered our room while we there, as he was given our room by mistake (as in point 1, it seems, so it wasn't an isolated case)
4) The first day the maid did not do our room until 19.00, when she showed up but we were using the room so asked her to come back the following day.
5) WiFi Internet connection was so slow that it was nearly useless.

So, the hotel does not seem well organized at all, but the are some upsides
as well:

1) Some of the staff, especially Silvia and the other girl, are professional, helpful and very kind. One might ask why the hotel has all these problems with such good staff.
2) Even though the building is old, the hotel is nice and well kept.
3) Prices are good for a 4 star; even though it might look like 3 and 1/2 stars the prices are still good. Breakfast was however not included and it's a steep 10 €, so I always had it at the nearby café.
4) Even though located somehow outside of the centre, the bus/tram stop is just outside the front door.

The hotel has a car park: it's not cheap (starts at € 14 per day), but it has surveillance and costs less than parking in the street anyway.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room and be sure you are given one of those.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2011

We booked through late rooms so only paid about £70 for the night. The location is okay, you can get a tram from the train station which takes about 10 minutes but it runs frequently. The staff were very helpful. The room was nice, spacious and clean. The bathroom was clean. The internet connection isn't great, maybe a bit overloaded.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2011

One of the perils of travelling in Europe is the wide variation in hotel standards. Four star means nothing, OK one city, pretty average the next. The same can be said of the Accor Group, their hotels vary from surprising to very average. Royal Mercure Turin is definitely very average. The decor is dated and tired and the lobby daunting at best. Stairs in front of the elevator means a short struggle with baggage and certainly no assistance from the front desk.

The rooms are well proportioned but the bathroom small. To use the loo you need to put your feet in the bide, which I guess means that you have clean feet as well as a clean posterior. Shower cubicile was antideluviam

Most rooms are on the road, so be prepared for traffic noises, overall room insultation is average and yes a SLAM hotel (Stop loud ambient motions ~ guest doors close very noisily)

In room safe box was excessively complicated to operate (yes I have stayed in thousands of hotes, so I do know what I am doing).

Free internet which worked well. Good coffee in the lobby.

Neighbourhood was suspect and the hotel is poorly located for the tourist area, albeit reached in 15 minutes by bus or tram.

This said the front desk was very helpful and even telephoned after our checkout to tell us that we had left an item behind which was appreciated.

Overall three stars would be a fairer description, but fair value for the price we paid Euro75

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple