“Excellent food in a refined environment”

Restaurant Zur Kaiserkron
Ranked #7 of 419 Restaurants in Bolzano
Price range: US$37 - US$94
Cuisines: Diner, Mediterranean, Central European
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

I initially spotted the terrace of the restaurant in a lovely square,where the staff looked keen and professional. Despite having no tables available there, I was quickly shown inside and discovered an elegant interior.

The service at the restaurant was impeccable, and the food made up of well-cooked and seasonal dishes. Along with an impressive wine list, I would highly recommend this establishment to all visitors.

1  Thank Sean B

Reviewed 25 July 2017

+ nice fresh food and very very simple
+ tasted well and portions were big

- dessert I have was overpriced with very strong taste of tequila

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Having left Venice 4 hours earlier this last minute choice was most enjoyable for pescatarians looking for a vegetarian night. Our salads were generous. The spaghetti with black truffle was delicious. Followed by a shared warm chocolate. The local Anisos white made like a red is an interesting white wine and delicious. Attention and friendly waiter and luckily an outside table made a nice introduction to this part of Italy.

Reviewed 18 June 2017

A few steps from the main square of Bolzano, Zur Kaiserkron is an oasis of dining pleasure. On our previous visit, (winter), we sat indoors but on this occasion, we had a table on the outdoor terrace. It was perfect, mainly for one reason - a barrier of shrubbery. The public can be so rude, when it comes to interrupting outside diners. If you are lucky, you get away with the simple “stop-and-gawp”, as you try and enjoy your lunch.If you’re not, (and this has happened to me on more than one occasion), your lunch will be interrupted with a question about your meal, from a complete stranger. The ring of well tended shrubs, meant you could sit back and relax ‘al fresco’ without such irritations.

Service from such an establishment is, (as you would expect), impeccable. The food was equally impressive. After a pre-prandial glass of Franciacorta from the renowned Ca de Bosco, we set about our starters of octopus salad and steak tartare - both perfect. For our ‘primi’ my wife had an outstanding risotto, while I had the ravioli-like “schlutzkrapfen”, stuffed with ricotta - both delicious. We shared a main of baccala, served with an orange sauce which was a trifle dry to be honest but tasty. The best was yet to come however - dessert. My wife’s pannacotta was perfect but was utterly overshadowed by my strawberry “soup” with candied olives and asparagus ice-cream. I had forgotten what flavour the ice-cream was by the time it had arrived and as I sat with a puzzled, (but pleased), look on my face after my first mouthful, the waiter said, “It’s asparagus. Weird but great isn’t it?” and he was absolutely right.

The wines supplied with the desserts were matched perfectly, (a late harvest Gewurztraminer and a Recioto), and we had a bottle of regular Gewurztraminer with the meal. Wine prices in Kaiserkron,(for Italy and Bolzano in particular), were a little on the steep side but compared to London - were an absolute bargain. The total cost of all the courses came to €104 - with booze and water taking the total to a final €208.

I’d rank Zur Kaiserkron against any and IMHO, is a “Must visit” for anyone serious about food, who is visiting Bolzano.

2  Thank JandApe
Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

Great food, service was friendly with good humour and smile and quick, good local wines. We were sitting outside and really enjoyed the atmosphere of the square. Our starter was warm polipo ...one of the best I have ever had. The slow cooked lamm shoulder as main course was very good indeed. A bit pricy but worth it.