“Very good-not expensive place!”

Osteria Vineria San Martino
Ranked #32 of 632 Restaurants in Trento
Price range: US$9 - US$29
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The inn and winehouse S. Martino is situated in the ancient ward of San Martino, that was formerly an harbour of Adige river, and is located 656,17 feet from the famous Buonconsiglio castle. San Martino is contemporary furnished with 30 seats. The peculiarity of this place is the daily seasonal menu with a restrained but tasteful wine list. We use only fresh ingredients and desserts and pasta are all homemade.
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Excelent food, regional and italian meals.
Served by the very sympathetic owner...very nice place, I would strongly recommend it!

............................................................................

1  Thank aredonda

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is the sort of place I love eating in. A simple, clean, no-nonsense establishment (including, when we were there, Santana recordings running discretely in the background) offering tasty local dishes without pretence, nice wine, all at a very reasonable price. Be sure to check opening hours (+39 0461 263975, +39 320 1118541).

1  Thank Tagg2244
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was one of the best dinners we ever had -and at a very reasonable price. We were very lucky: the owner offered that day a 5 course menu , every course made with Nosiola wine, and every course with a different glas of Nossiola wine! All included for 38 Euro per person! Excellent dining! Absolutely recommendable!

1  Thank PinktPanther0489
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Whenever I travel I love to look for authentic restaurants that are able to give a taste of the local cuisine and culture. If this is what you are looking for and you are visiting Trento, this is the place where you want to go.

I found high standard food prepared with seasonal and fresh ingredients, and affordable prices. I was in Trento for work and went to the restaurant on my own quite late at night, the owner Fulvio was very welcoming and clear at explaining all the different options in the menu that night. There is no written menu as it changes daily but there is a board with a list of what you can find that day, and the owner will help you understand all the different traditional dishes.

I had the "strangolapreti with gorgonzola" and they were just fabulous.

I had a great meal and a fantastic chat with Fulvio. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in experiencing the authentic Trento!

2  Thank Marzia A
Reviewed April 1, 2013

To preface, this place is almost never open - which right away diminishes their chances of having a good business, and makes those who live in Trento wonder why they are even in the restaurant industry if they're never open. Upon walking in, I was overcome with the most delicious smell, and so I had had high hopes that the food and service were going to be up to par with what I had expected. Wrong-o.

First off, there are no menus, so when the waitress walked over she just read aloud what they had available. Normally, I might find this charming - but in this case it was a bit annoying. There were more than just a couple of specials that she listed off, and she seemed annoyed when I asked her to repeat the list. Then when I finally ordered a mixed salad (which I mistakenly assumed would be similar to an appetizer in size and price) she asked bewildered, "That's all?" When I said "yes", she seemed annoyed again and then went about her business. She said, I might add, that they did not make the more common types of salads that you find here in Italy, those with mozzerella or corn or chicken - just a plain salad. Normally in Italy they're pretty happy to accommodate you; so even if it's not on the menu, they might just throw a little something extra on your plate to make you happy - and for your return business. This place didn't seem to take the time to care to do that.

When the salad came out it was dry and not appetizing at all, and even after I put olive oil and some salt on it, it was barely edible. To add insult to injury it ended up being a whopping 7 euros - for just some lettuce, a few slices of carrot and red cabbage. When we asked for more bread at our table she didn't seem happy about that either - perhaps this was more work than she had anticipated today, considering there had only been one other couple in the establishment, before we arrived.

All together we had a plate of pasta (which was reportedly average), a very small beer, a small plastic bottle of water, a coffee and my salad and spent a total of 20 euros. In some cases this is a fair price, but in the end the salad was inedible, the service was poor and the fact that there was no one in there, also says something.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone and particularly not for tourists who are looking for something extra special while they are on vacation in Trento or in Italy in general. There are much better places!

Fulvio L, Proprietario at Osteria Vineria San Martino, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear maiden,
1. What makes you tell that our restaurant is always closed? We didn't make you have a seat by accident at 2.40 p.m. : two tables at this time are a real crowd in our city, when lunchtime normally ranks from 12 to 2 p.m...
2.If you were "overcome with the most delicious smell", why did you order a mixed salad?
3.It seems to me that your friend ate more or less 4,23 oz of homemade pasta (tagliatelle) with salted smoked raw ham (speck), asparagus and little tomatoes without striking a blow.
4. As for the beer, it was a regular 0,2L bottle.
5.In Italian language the expression "restaurant for tourists" is not really a compliment.
6.Not to mention the combination of pineapple and chips...
7.In good old times every inn used to write their menus on a blackboard, and we do so also because we change menu every day!
8.You say that my assistant seemed annoyed: well, I didn't know that in the US you know Lombroso (but maybe it's too difficult for you).
9.A heartful "thanks" to Francesco and, if not too busy taking pictures, to Kyoko ass well.