“Excellent stay”

Ranked #40 of 385 Hotels in Venice
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

The flight and hotel was booked through Easyjet - the room worked out at around £100 per night. I booked the hotel after reading TripAdvisor reviews. This is a genuine 4 star hotel and there isn't really anything I would criticise it for. The staff are genuinely friendly, the room (a standard superior) was clean, comfortable and a good size and there is a very spacious and pretty sitting area on the first floor. The breakfast was adequate for a 4* hotel - this is the only thing for me that wasn't quite 4* standard - no fresh juice and the scrambled egg and bacon looked a bit sad after a while - on the other hand you can help yourself to a glass of Prosecco ! The hotel is about a 5 minute walk from the Rialto Bridge.

I would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel again.

A couple of points on the trip:

1. We travelled direct from the airport to the Rialto Bridge stop by boat (called the Alilaguna) - 25 Euros each return - takes about 50 mins - a very nice way to enter Venice.
2. We ate a few times at an osteria called Alpergo (behind Olandaise Volante) which was a good place for cicheti (tapas) and a trattoria called Sandro about 5 mins from the Rialto bridge who do a lovely spaghetti carbonara

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Crickmikey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2012

The location of the hotel is fantastic - a convenient walk to many famous landmarks and in a pretty square. The room that we stayed in was nicely decorated with good quality fixtures and fittings and was clean. The mattress in the room was extremely firm. The breakfast buffet was decent. Front desk staff were formal and helpful, and could speak good English. You have to hand over your room key each time you leave the hotel.

There were a few things that could be better:
- no kettle/tea making facilities in the room.
- the room doors need soft closers, they slammed really loudly so we were woken up by other guests/staff on a couple of occasions.

These two points meant that for me it was pretty good rather than very good.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CWTraveller99
Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We went to this hotel for 4 days Bed and Breakfast and were absolutely delighted with the location as only few minutes from the Rialto Bridge and the hotek was set in a picturesque square with fabulous restuarants close by. The attention at reception made us feel welcome at once and the staff on duty spoke many languages so not speaking a lot of Italian was not a problem. This is and old building which retains a lot of the old characteristics, with modern feel to the bar, reception and the bedrooms. Our room was on fourth floor ( with lift so no problem for those with mobility issues) and have wonderful old beams incorporated into the modern style of the room. The bed is the most comfortable i have ever slept in, in any hotel, and the sheets were spotless, crisp, white sheets changed every day, as were the towels.The bathroom was well appointed with tissues, cotton wool, shower caps, shampoo etc so no complaints there and had a fabulous shower, jacuzzi bath and oodles of hot water. Breakfast in the morning was superb, with yoghurts,fresh fruit, cold meat, cheese, juice,water, prosecco, croissants, scrambled eggs,bread, pastries and tea,coffee, hot chocolate etc in pots to your table. We will definitely come back here again when next in Venice!!!! Do not hesitate to come here it is one of the best i have ever stayed in for value, location and quality.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lori61hall
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Firstly, I must say that we were largely satisfied with our stay at Ruzzini. I bought the weekend break as a treat for my wife's 40th birthday, and together with our 3 year old daughter, and we had a lovely time.

The Good:
- Beautiful palazzo.
- Great location.
- Very friendly staff.
- Service was always correct & efficient. The champagne I pre-ordered was waiting in our room on our arrival.
- Daughter made to feel very welcome.
- Junior suite was visually stunning and was modern but with a real sense of history.

The Less Good:
- As many have said, the breakfast was a bit average. Everything was nice enough, but not very much selection, especially of hot food.
- Bathroom was fine, but slightly on the small side.
- No milk in room - had to be ordered in for us to make a cup of tea.
- No iron in room (could have requested one, but decided not to bother).
- €150 for airport transfer (which we didn't take). Whilst it sounds like a great service, that is an extortionate amount. You can get the water bus into town for €15 and it leaves you with a 10 min (pleasant) walk.

The Worst
- No free wifi. I knew this in advance, but I still think that today, any 4* in the world should provide this.
- The bed was 2 singles pushed together and it was too hard.
- Pillows were thin. 1 extra pillow was provided which isn't enough for a Junior Suite for 3 people.
- Bell-boy was insistent (not aggressively) that he would show us to our room and then bring the bags up. I then waited for the inevitable, and incredibly annoying "linger" while he waited for his tip. When will hotels learn to pay their staff enough so that they can remove this culture whereby everyone expects extra payment for something the customer doesn't find particularly amazing. After all, I'm a big boy and after lugging my bags through the narrow streets and over the bridges of Venice, I think I can get them up a lift to my room. Getting them taken care of is nice, but ultimately disappointing when you spend the first 10 minutes of your stay wondering how much tip will be expected and how guilty you will be made to feel.

OK - so my biggest gripes relate not to Ruzzini alone, but reflect some of my grievances about the hotel industry generally. We had a lovely time, and my wife had a memorable birthday. My advice to Ruzzini would be that your experience is very nearly GREAT. The niggles I have are pretty small, but they add up to be greater than the sum of their parts. Fixing the small things would stop people like me dwelling on whether this was a satisfactory 4* experience and just leaving with a satisfied glow.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Michael D
GMRuzzini, Direttore at Ruzzini Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear the most large satisfaction expressed about your recent stay at the Ruzzini Palace, which has been made so special, not just fron the Hotel itself, but also from your daughter and the occasion of the birthday of your wife together.

Just few of the points of your comment, we would like to clarify; Tea facilities are available in the rooms (not in standard) as a kind of courtesy (for free) and fresch milk or lemon is delivered on request from the Hotel staff anytime. The bathroom of your Junior Suite you had, was on a confortable size and fully equipped.

Ironing facilities are not allowed in the rooms (for safety reason) while the service can be provided on request from the made.

About the transfer service and its convenience: in quite a lot of occasions could be the best solution (see old people or if you have a lot of bags), in any case is up the Guests decision and just an option, that in any case you didn't choose.

Since 4 months, Wi-fi internet connection is available for free; next time better ask at the front desk and we would have been pleased to advice you.

About the tips, they are a kind of culture, especially when you travel on superior cathegory Hotels, there's not a fix percentage, is up to your consideration, if you particularly agree the quality of the service or something that was just "special".

This wish we have for all our Guests stays: to be just personal and special.

Kind regards
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I cannot fault the Ruzzini, from the moment we arrived we were treated with the very best service! Our room was fantastic, with two small balconies and a lot of space, this was by far the best hotel we stayed during our three weeks in italy. The hotel is very quiet at night but it is still close to everything you need. I enjoyed getting lost in the backstreets of Venice and the Ruzzini was always easy to find my way back to. Not too close to the Grand canal so it wasn't noisy, but close enough to walk everywhere. The Ruzzini is my hotel of choice for any future visits

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aussieontour42
sydney
Reviewed 13 January 2012

The Ruzzini Palace Hotel, like many of the hotels in Venice, is a restored, very old building with magical period architecture. It fronts on to a large and peaceful piazza, with a few restaurants half way down, and backs on to a narrow canal.

You can choose to arrive from the airport via water taxi, which will transport you directly to this back entrance. I would strongly recommend you take this option if you have had a lengthy trip. After several flights and 30 hours of travelling from Australia, together with my young son, I was barely able to stand upright let alone negotiate public transport and luggage and was very relieved that through this option I was delivered so quickly and smoothly to my hotel. Taxi tickets can be purchased at the airport terminal. There is a taxi desk there that charges 110 euros for the trip. I was originally quoted 150 euros for the same trip at the tourist desk but looked out for a better deal. I'm not sure whether you would get an even cheaper price by approaching the taxis directly at the docks. The water taxi docks were accessed by turning left on exiting the airport terminal and following a covered walkway down to the water, probably about 500m away. Alternative transport possibilites would have entailed some walking along cobbled streets with luggage as, apart from the canals, the inner streets are for pedestrians only, and ferries run down the larger canals only.

We were exhausted from our trip and barely able to focus on writing when checking in. The wonderful counter staff were cheerful and helpful and smoothed everything away. We were escorted to our room, a Junior Suite, and were happy to escape the strong heat outside and sink into the king sized soft bed and comfy chairs.

The room was very spacious and stunning in cheery red and white decor. The high, stucco ceiling was just gorgeous. The large windows overlooked the piazza. The windows were double glazed so that any noise from outside was shut out when they were closed. The air conditioning was reliable and there was no feeling of stuffiness when windows were closed. I had chosen one of the better rooms as I had anticipated spending more time in it as the jetlag wore off. We were shown another smaller room to compare to ours and I think it was definitely worth the extra money. One downside of the aging building is that the bathroom had a sewage type smell that I could recognize from the canals around Venice. This may be offputting for some people. Otherwise you can choose to see it as part of the historical experience.

The internal layout of the hotel, as a converted palace, was unlike the modern international chains, which have constructed purpose built buildings from scratch. The entrance and reception areas were small, the lift was tiny (room enough for just a few people) and the corridors short and windy. Notwithstanding the fact we were there in high season, we did not experience queues for the lifts or noise from other patrons as it is a small hotel and the rooms are spread out. Near our room was a huge period sitting room overlooking the piazza. Next to it were much grander stairs down to the lobby. All these things added to the charm of being in such an ancient and atmospheric city.

The hotel was nicely located in the piazza just off the main walkway about halfway between St Mark's Square and the Rialto bridge. It was an easy walk to the main sites whilst remaining a respite from the crowded streets. We were travelling in August (this review is a little late) and the streets outside were hot and crowded.

Breakfast was just fine, if not of a similarly wide range to much bigger hotels. My son had dietary difficulties that restricted what he could eat. The chef very kindly cooked up a meal and drink to suit his requirements. We were told that they can make extra accommodations if they are given advance notice. They are used to catering for gluten free and dairy free diets. (The front desk staff also made recommendations for restaurants that would cater for dietary difficulties for other meals, and this was very helpful for us). The quality of the food was lovely. The breakfast room was a little dark, but intimate and welcoming.

The best part of our stay here was the gregarious and charming staff who were genuinely caring and helpful. They were happy to chat and provide assistance whenever required. They helped make our stay a real experience and one which my young son remembers as the best on our Italian trip.

Room Tip: It's worth paying extra for a Junior Suite. Overlooking the Piazza is best.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank laillo
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2012

From the moment my wife and I arrived at the Ruzzini Palace we were put at ease with the friendliness and smiles from the staff at the establishment. The rooms were wonderful and the breakfast spread was simply great! The efficiency of the room cleaning is highly commended. The technicians of the breakfast spread are a delight. The front desk, Massimiliano, Francesco, Marco and whose names I have temporarily misplaced in my memory bank...Thank You for making our stay such a wonderful experience.

The location of the hotel is a huge plus as it is central to the 2 main attractions, The Rialto and St. Mark's Square. Although it is conveniently located it does not feel at all like in a tourist zone. The square in front of the hotel gave us the sense of space which in Venice is a rare commodity. Within minutes to great food and shopping is at almost every corner.

On our next visit to Venice, The Ruzzini Palace will be on our radar for sure. We highly recommend this establishment.

Room Tip: We loved the room on the ground floor..unit #2 but if you are a light sleeper then it's not for...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple