“Row Venice was great for kids and adults!”
Review of Row Venice

Row Venice
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Learn to row like a Venetian-standing, facing forward, just like the gondoliers-in a beautiful, traditional Venetian all-wood gondolina batella coda di gambero. See Venice from a unique, authentic perspective in this unique outing: you can't row Venice if you haven't rowed Venice.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 14 December 2017

I can't recommend Row Venice enough! We were there during the height of summer (end of July) during a crazy heat-wave, but a nice long row on the canals of Venice at sunset was just what the doctor ordered. My wife had organized the activity for ourselves and our friends. We have one child, they had two, with ages from 9 - 12. The kids absolutely loved it, as did we. The three instructors divided each family into their own boat, and gave all of us a lesson on rowing the "shrimp tail boats" that they use. Learning how to use the open oarlock was a bit tricky at first, but once you got the feel for it, it became much easier. We had two instructors with us: one steering the boat, and the other sitting in the bow overseeing our rowing and being our tour guide for the trip. We learned so much from these native Venetians in our approximately 1.5-2 hour tour. We thought we might be relegated to side canals, but after a few blocks, we found ourselves on the Grand Canal! I can't really describe how amazing it was to watch my 11 year old row under the Rialto Bridge under pink and orange skies. We enjoyed every moment of our row, and were easily able to switch-off whenever we got tired. It was easily the highlight of our time in the city, and I'd recommend it so very highly. I'd much rather be active in my adventures in Venice than be chauffeured around in a gondola! We also received a great history and culture lesson from the instructors, who were able to tell us about notable landmarks, famous buildings, the different architects of the city, and the history of the city itself. Overall a wonderful experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,319)

Reviewed 9 December 2017

I'm glad that other people have had such a good experience, but our experience less summer was less than stellar. (And I see that a few others have had experiences like ours.) We had two different boats - my husband and son were in one and seemed to have a great time with their instructor. My daughters and I were in the other. I'll be the first to say that I have no athletic talent, but my daughter (15) rows crew and is pretty coordinated. The rowing was much harder for all of us to get the hang of than other reviews suggest. That would have been okay, except that the instructor in our boat was downright cross. She yelled at us a lot and was very critical (not in a constructive sort of way, but more in the "you're an idiot" kind of way). When my youngest daughter tried it, the instructor kept screaming at her that she was going to wreck the boat, and my daughter was near tears for a big portion of the ride. She cried when we finally got out of the boat.

I understand that equipment can be fragile, but this is advertised as something kids her age can do and with some better communication and instruction that might have been the case. There was no real teaching, just a lot of impatient barking at us about how it really wasn't that hard and what was wrong with us? What I hoped would be a memorable family outing on the Grand Canal turned into an unpleasant experience we were all wishing would just end. My son said after we got out of our boat, "I couldn't hear everything your instructor was saying, but she was really mean." Yeah, that about sums it up. I assume she was just having a bad day, but it put a damper on our evening and certainly wasn't worth the money we paid. In retrospect, I wish I'd made a fuss at the time and asked for a refund, but truthfully, I just wanted the experience to be over. I don't like to write bad reviews, but since I depended so heavily on these positive reviews in deciding to book this experience, I thought I should share my experience.

RowVce, Administrator at Row Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy review. We take our customer service and satisfaction extremely seriously. It is a shame, as you note, that is has taken you 5 months to write your complaint as it is difficult to solve any problem with this lapse of time.

With over 3000 lessons a year, it is fortunately very rare that anyone does not enjoy this unique experience; our women instructors are all very keen and enthusiastic about sharing their sport with you. It can happen that a person who is fatigued is perhaps not as charming as usual, which seems to have been the case here; and we (along with the instructor) are quite surprised and sorry to hear your recount.

We normally avoid instructor fatigue by sharing the work out amongst our 20 athletes. On an other consideration a long day of sight seeing can also render someone more tired and tense than usual and the secret to mastering venetian rowing is to have a relaxed fluid movement. We are truly sorry this was not your experience.

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

We spent a fantastic few hours with Anna who is absolutely passionate about the gondolas and canals of Venice and with her support me and my 3 sons learnt how to row a gondola! And most amazing of all no one fell in! It was so good to be an active participant in such a iconic activity.

Reviewed 22 November 2017

My boyfriend and I were in Venice, Italy for a short 3 days - and just like every other traveler (tourist) it was on our Bucket List to "Ride a Gondola". However when you arrive you realize that it is SUCH a touristy thing to do and the thought of overpaying for a short and uneventful ride eliminates all worth of the ride itself.

Therefore, instead we decided to look for an EXPERIENCE and we are very very thankful that we found Row Venice. Our gondolier, Anna, was so friendly and she truly LOVED teaching others about Venice, the history and the gondolas. Not only were we able to escape to canals "off the beaten path" but also into the Venice Lagoon which provided an AMAZING view of the mountains.

This is definitely a memory that will stick with us FOREVER, and we HIGHLY recommend Row Venice to anyone and everyone visiting Venice.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

My husband and I wanted to try something adventurous while in Venice. We found this activity on TripAdvisor and are leaving this review to help others plan a fun time in Venice. Our instructor’s name was Anna and she was a sweet lady and really set the tone for our rowing adventure. I would highly recommend attending the rowing session because of how unique an experience it is and how much appreciation for the sport and technique of Venetian rowing you will walk away with.