“Great way to see the canals ”
Review of Row Venice

Row Venice
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Learn to row like a Venetian-standing, facing forward, just like the gondoliers-in a beautiful, traditional Venetian all-wood gondolina batella coda di gambero. See Venice from a unique, authentic perspective in this unique outing: you can't row Venice if you haven't rowed Venice.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 18, 2018 via mobile

This was a great way to see Venice from the water - we did the evening tour which includes the grand canal. Our guide was great- lots of local knowledge. learning to row a boat on the Venetian canals was a lot of fun- both my teenage daughters really enjoyed it and it was great to see the city from the canals.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,447)
All reviews
"highlight of our trip"
in 64 reviews
"unique experience"
in 59 reviews
"highly recommend this activity"
in 12 reviews
"grand canal"
in 127 reviews

Reviewed January 18, 2018

THE SUMMARY:
Okey, so here is the thing: If you want to be on a boat for the sightseeing, then be prepared to pay high prices for a 30 min Gondola Ride in Venice. However, if you prefer to have a full hand-on ride, adventure and a fun time for 1:30 hours, then book Row Venice!

COMPARISON TO A STANDARD GONDOLA RIDE:
I'd been to Venice before, and got on a Gondola ride with a couple of friends. It was all right. Over priced for the short amount of time (30 minutes), but we did split the cost between 3 of us. However, it was short, and conversation with the Gondolieri wasn't that great either (although this would depend on who you get in all fairness). So, for my second trip to Venice I was delighted to find Row Venice. It looked like a unique experience and we gave it a try. Why not try to row yourself through the canals, learn this amazing way of transport, get some exercise, have fun and do something new that you would have never done any other way!! Plus, you get three times the time as it is around 1:30 hours.

THE EXPERIENCE:
Finding information on their website and on TripAdvisor was easy enough. I did email them before booking to clear some doubts about it. I received a prompt response and I then proceeded to book the session. When we arrived in Venice, it was pouring with rain and we were worried the lesson would be canceled. On the day, I got a text message asking us to go a bit earlier as rain was expected for our time slot. So we rushed there to get as earlier as possible. Unfortunately, it started raining quite heavily. They offered to cancel the lesson or try again the next day. So we did the latter, and when we got there the next day, it was raining again! it was such a shame! Luigina (the instructor) and Francesca (the translator) were super nice and they offered to cancel the lesson or to do it anyways regardless of the rain, as we were leaving the next morning and we couldn't reschedule. And we did!! We didn't want to miss this amazing opportunity so we went out anyways. I felt a bit worried for everyone's health, as I didn't want any of us to get sick because of being soaked for over an hour, but in all honesty, I have never had so much fun in the rain before! If you are rowing, you don't feel the cold and don't mind the rain because you are moving constantly and it is such a workout! However, I would strongly suggest to do it without rain, not only for your sake but also for the instructor's sake. It was a lot of fun, but I am sure it is much better if it doesn't rain. We got to row in the middle of the boat, but couldn't stand in the back to row as it would have been a bit of a risk because of how slippery it was because of the rain. So, as they rightfully suggest in the website, try to book it at the beginning of the trip, that way if it does rain you can still reschedule it for the next day or for when the rain stops. Francesca answered our curious questions about Venice and gave us a lot of information about the city and also good tips on where to go next! She and Luigina had a constant smile on their faces regardless of the rain and the cold. They were absolutely amazing and I can't thank them enough for being so good to us! I will definitely go back in Springtime or Summer and do this again on a sunny day.

Rowing in the Grand Canal, despite the rain and cold, was the highlight of our trip.
I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS EXPERIENCE TO ANYONE WHO WOULD LIKE SOMETHING DIFFERENT AND FUN

Reviewed January 14, 2018 via mobile

I bought the lesson as a Christmas present for my partner and it did not disappoint. Fun to have a go at, lovely to go out into the lagoon, and a really friendly instructor. I was worried about the cold as we went in January but I needn’t have as it was absolutely fine. Definitely do this instead of paying over 100 euro for a quick trip in a regular gondola!

Reviewed January 6, 2018 via mobile

We used Row Venice for our gondola ride in Venice after reading all the good reviews....and aren't we glad we did. We had a lovely time learning to row and being rowed and the staff really make it. Such a relaxing informative ride and a mile apart from the noisy, expensive gondola conveyor belt system (!) that goes on by the main square. The directions are spot on, even though you may feel that you're walking into the middle of nowhere!

See more reviews
Reviewed January 1, 2018 via mobile

Caroline was a friendly instructor who was patient and encouraging throughout. We rowed through tranquil canals and the open lagoon, with views of the Dolomites in the distance! We got to row in the front and back of the boat, and we were amazed to learn about this type of boat and how this group of 20 women are keeping the tradition alive through their non-profit organisation...whereas the normal gondoliers are dominated by men as the licence is handed down from father to son (Only 2 female gondoliers in Venice!) Much more exciting experience to row your own boat than to sit in a touristy gondola. Highly recommended!