“Wow beautiful but extortionate” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel

Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #58 of 385 Hotels in Venice
“Wow beautiful but extortionate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012 via mobile

I was surprised me for my birthday and the hotel itself is absolutely amazing with good staff however if you book your canal tour and water taxes from the hotel they are very very expensive and we paid for one what's taxi one way £120 to airport area drinks also epevaice and t was flooded the square in nov so had to walk on tables but in summer would be amazing

• Stayed November 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ExecutiveOffice72, Manager at Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Angelic999 ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at The Hotel Danieli in Venice.
I am sorry to hear that you found the city tours and water taxi fares very expensive, but, they do not depend from the hotel, they are external services.
On a more positive note, I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed every other aspect of your stay with us.
Best regards,
Christophe Mercier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
wimborne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

The Danieli is of course stunning to look at and very luxurious. Very expensive yes but we knew that and so not surprised to pay for example 28 Euros to have a piece of fruit delivered to your room. Bedrooms were lovely and the bathroom was wonderful. View from the roof top dining area is fantastic and to arrive from the airport in a private water taxi believe me is how to do it in style. However the hotel now part of a chain appears to be living on past glories in that the dead hand of bean counters have been allowed to influence. For example the toilet paper is cheap and nasty and we had to cook our own toast for breakfast. We (as Brits) asked why a five star hotel can not offer tea facilities in ones bedroom. We were told its for health and safety reasons which does not fit in at all with the electric hair dryer that is supplied.
As mentioned in other forums, the reception staff are slow and seem to spend ages staring into their monitors with little happening. One of them mumbled something about a slow system which I do not accept and found irritating. Fans of the TV series Little Britain will understand the expression “The computer says No” The concierge staff were helpful and worth asking for advice on Venice.
My wife and I got the impression that the hotel once would have been a place of fantastic service and where nothing is too much trouble but now not quite there any more. Our trip was to celebrate our wedding anniversary and I wanted to surprise my wife with some flowers from the hotel to her in our bedroom. Could I organise that?....could I not. Despite emails from both myself and my agent Thomas Cook nothing happened. So I rang twice from the UK and was told to expect a email that will enable the flowers. The email arrived but nothing on it helped me arrange my little surprise so it never happened.
Venice itself is lovely. Not a car in sight and the various water craft weaving their way past each other is great fun. The vaporetti's (water buses) offered all day tickets and once you have elbowed your way to the back is a great way of watching the city glide past you.
The shops were as in most tourist towns, full of tat and so overpriced that one just did not bother to go in. Eating out is as you would expect expensive and variable. We had two lovely meals in our four day stay, the rest were indifferent and the Italians in Venice have no idea how to do a side salad.
The way to see Venice is not to try and see all the usual attractions as you will just get crushed by the crowds but just to wander off into the side streets and just see what happens.
Back to the Danieli. Its a lovely hotel, staff generally are helpful but not really a five star as I had hoped.

Room Tip: Our room did not face the front. OK we had no views but it was deliciously quite and a good nights s...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
dartford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

I no this is abit cheeky but im not staying at the hotel till march next year .But my wife and i had champagne and coctails in the danieli in january this year.My wife had always wanted to go to venice and i wasnt so keen .But that all changed the moment we got our water taxi to our hotel.Venice is something of fairytales it looks as though it shouldnt be there we arrived when it was alittle foggy and so couldnt see venice until we got closer and then it just appeared. All these old buildings some 800 years just sitting in water they just float on the water its an amazing site to be seen.We had watched the film the tourist and always wanted to visit the danieli.We was all dressed up as venice calls for that its such an elegant city that you want to respect it.We walked in to the hotel and was awe stuck my wife had to tell me to shut my mouth!.IT IS JUST BEAUITFUL.I couldnt take my eyes off of the ceiling murano chanidlers gold everywhere the lobby and coctail area are truly magical we sat down pretending that we were guests there when a waiter came over straight away we thought he was going to ask us to leave or ask for our room number.Instead he ask if we wanted something to drink so i looked at the list and ordered a bottle of champagne as thats our favorite drink anyway and when it came to us it was on a beauitful silver tray with silver pots full of nibbles at no extra charge.I couldnt beileve i was drinking champagne in this most special hotel. My wife had to phone our daughter in uk to tell her what she was doing but when she answered she couldnt speak and started crying for no reason other then the beauty of the place was overwellming ,I must admit i had a cry as well. and i never cry we both cried in the basillia as well and for no other reason than the beauty .We returned to the danieli that night and had cocktails which were very expensive but its one of them things you do once in your life , i so i thought.We returned to the uk and i couldnt stop thinking about the danieli and ive been to lots of countrys in the world but i knew i had to stay in the danieli so i booked it a year ahead for our anniversary as a surprise for my wife. Im so looking forward to staying there for 5 days i hope it is an anniversary to remember so if there is anything that you are thinking of doing different then book the danieli and see this wonderful place

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank james h
Bremerton, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

We savored our lunch at The Danieli every time we visited Venice (way back in the 80s and 90s). Sorry Trip Advisor makes me tell a fib on our visit date. We ordered a first course, dessert and wine for two and savored the view as much as the wonderful food. I can remember we spent about $100 for two which was plenty in those days. I can still close my eyes and imagine very clearly the entire two hours we spent. It was fun walking into that perfect looking lobby, riding the elevator to the open air restaurant and pretending we could have stayed there if we'd have wanted. Even the bathroom was fabulous! It's been years and I hope to go back once more. It's a bit disturbing reading reviews about poor service. We outsiders were treated very well. Thank you for the memories.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Mona2446,
We genuinely appreciate your positive comments. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the culinary delights and ambience of the Terrazza Restaurant and we will certainly share your compliments with the Executive Chef and his team; they will be more than happy to get such a great recognition.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Danieli Terrazza Restaurant on your future visits.
Best regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

Excellent hotel, the staff always attentive to the guests demands, excellent concierge and the location...wonderful. This hotel is ideally located for shopping and sightseeing. Everyone was polite, friendly and professional and couldn't have been more accomodating despite this being an extremely busy hotel. Our room was large and the bed was the most comfortable we have ever slept in. Although the furnishings were not as modern as expected, the room was very clean and the size more than made up for it. Everything else about this hotel made our trip memorable. The public areas are truly beautiful and I would recommend staying here to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank danayeah
Dear danayeah,
Thank you for your fantastic feedback regarding your recent visit to the Hotel Danieli. I am very happy to receive such an encouraging review from you. I will certainly pass all of your kind comments on to my team as mentioned and I know they will be delighted to hear them. We will look forward to welcoming you back soon.
kindest regards,
Kidderminster
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

Important trip for my Wife and I so booked this hotel as one of the best in the world - got to the hotel expectations running high - checked in - went to the room with a member of staff and low and behold other peoples luggage in our room - apologies asked to wait 5 minutes have a drink and go back which is what we did - before we went back we spoke to the chap at the bar - can you check our room is ready - he could not get a response from reception - not impressed so far - we went back to our room - after about 45 minutes not 5 minutes and the luggage was still there - now we are alone in a room with someone elses luggage at this hotel - we could have tampered damaged stole from it anything - we obviously did not - but would you like your luggage handled in this way at a supposed top hotel!!

We then went back to reception explained the position and it took the head conceirge himself who was understandably embarassed and had no dealing with this situation before this point and a services manager to actualy go to the room and take the luggage out. Now you think this would be the end of the situation but no about an hour later my Wife noticed a set of keys on the side in our room - they had been left by the services manager - it turned out this was a set of master keys to the hotel rooms - we dutifuly returned these to the hotel also.

After our return you are asked to rate this hotel to them directly which I did explaining the problems - I then received an email from Chritophe Mercier the Hotel Manager apologising - OK I thought however he then asked me to return to the hotel to and I am quoting directly "demonstrate you that we deserve your trust" - now this hotel is £1000 plus per night - you expect perfection at that level - however we received far less than that and they wanted us to return to them at this rate for them to demonstrate they were as they should have been previously. I therefore emailed them on the 24th May asking why I should pay them to repair their lack of previous service - or at least has some discount etc - well as of today 5th June 2012 13 days later I have not even had the courtesy of a response from them.

Hotel building - wonderful - food - wonderful - service during and after your stay - more budget hotel than prestige hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank IanKidderminster
Thomasville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

The Hotel Danieli is probably my second favorite hotel stay ever (the first is Ballynahinch Castle in Recess, Ireland, outside Galway). It absolutely fulfilled every wish I could imagine. The location is superb, a few steps away from Piazza San Marco and you can access a gondola from the side of the hotel. The old world charm, furnishings and atmosphere took my breath away: I can't imagine a more perfect hotel. The view from the terrace offers an amazing view of the Grand Canal and our meals were all quite delicious. We stayed in a small suite and it was so charming. Wherever I turned, I would see another beautiful, meticulous detail in the hotel millwork, glass, etc., that would knock my socks off! The staff is fabulous and will attend to your every need. Although it's touristy, do take the gondola. It's fun and the architecture of Venice is delightful. Also, visit the Peggy Guggenheim museum if you enjoy art and check out the Dali gallery but my favorite experience in Venice? Walking through the Piazza late at night when very few people remained. An orchestra was playing a lovely classical tango and it was such a special moment of a lifetime. The Hotel Danieli and Venice are bewitching!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ExecutiveOffice72, Manager at Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Smiles4miles,
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guest! Your comments have been received with great appreciation and we are so pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Warm regards,