“Danieli fell short”

Ranked #61 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Houston, Texas
“Danieli fell short”
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We booked the Hotel Danieli for three nights as part of a two week trip to Italy in June.It was chosen based on the reviews & It's a Starwood property which I am a Gold member. Booked a deluxe room. The cost nearly 575 Euros a night. Upon entering the room the first time, we noticed how musty & old the room smelled. If you suffer from allergies bring your bronchodilators. Upon entering the room each day, we had to adjust to the smell. The air conditioner barely cooled the room & the temperature outside was hot/humid & in the mid 80's. The a/c could not keep up & we had to keep the shades closed all day to help keep the heat out for a cooler nights sleep. The view out the window was a noisy alleyway & a satellite tv dish. The furnishings were dated & worn. Lighting was poor. The bathroom was tiny. There was a pedestal sink with no counter space for toilettries for three people, my husband, myself & 10 year old daughter. We had to put our stuff on the floor. There was a 4" piece of glass mounted above the sink which served as your "counter". There was no separate shower, The tub was very narrow & dangerous. We used a dingy plastic tub mat to prevent slippage. The carpeting was stained, worn, & filthy. A few comments on the concierge service: the concierge desk is immediately to the right of the main exit door. You get this audacious key that is too "weighted" to carry around, so you must leave it with the concierge desk. The attendants never would acknowledge us as we entered or departed the hotel. They were too busy looking at their computer screens or doing paperwork. In order to get any type of acknowledgement, I had to practically yell loudly "hello" to get them to look up & to simply leave the key. Poor customer service. On the plus side, it's a stone's throw from Piazza San Marco & the basilica. Tons of restaurants within walking distance. Right where the action is. The lobby is a beautiful spot to have afternoon tea or a drink. Drinks run about 3x what they should be though with a Bloody Mary costing about 18-20 euros. They also have a roof top terrace for dinner & drinks as well. As a seasoned traveler, the five star rating that the Danieli seems to have achieved is completely unwarranted and fails to meet the standards of a five star rated hotel. We would not recommend to others nor stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Chianti123
, Manager at Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear Chianti123,
Thank you for your sharing your detailed feedback of your stay.
I am very disappointed that as a valued SPG member your stays gave cause to less positive comments and that we failed to meet your personal expectations in this trip. Your feedback is appreciated as it is helpful to address with the team. I can assure you that - as you can see in other comments - we always strive to provide a great experience for each guest and that our staff is excited to deliver warm and welcoming service. I am sorry that on this occasion we let ourselves down.
Please let me know when you will be back as I am confident we can ensure that your stay will be comfortable.
Christophe Mercier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seaside Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We stayed on the return of a cruise in and out of Venice what a first first class hotel,. Staff are very accommodating. The hotel is wonderful very expensive but well worth the stay

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank seashore1826
ExecutiveOffice72, Manager at Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear seashore1826,
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your favourable comments on the Hotel Danieli and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Reviewed 17 June 2012 via mobile

I was surprised me for my birthday and the hotel itself is absolutely amazing with good staff however if you book your canal tour and water taxes from the hotel they are very very expensive and we paid for one what's taxi one way £120 to airport area drinks also epevaice and t was flooded the square in nov so had to walk on tables but in summer would be amazing

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Angelic999 ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at The Hotel Danieli in Venice.
I am sorry to hear that you found the city tours and water taxi fares very expensive, but, they do not depend from the hotel, they are external services.
On a more positive note, I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed every other aspect of your stay with us.
wimborne
Reviewed 16 June 2012

The Danieli is of course stunning to look at and very luxurious. Very expensive yes but we knew that and so not surprised to pay for example 28 Euros to have a piece of fruit delivered to your room. Bedrooms were lovely and the bathroom was wonderful. View from the roof top dining area is fantastic and to arrive from the airport in a private water taxi believe me is how to do it in style. However the hotel now part of a chain appears to be living on past glories in that the dead hand of bean counters have been allowed to influence. For example the toilet paper is cheap and nasty and we had to cook our own toast for breakfast. We (as Brits) asked why a five star hotel can not offer tea facilities in ones bedroom. We were told its for health and safety reasons which does not fit in at all with the electric hair dryer that is supplied.
As mentioned in other forums, the reception staff are slow and seem to spend ages staring into their monitors with little happening. One of them mumbled something about a slow system which I do not accept and found irritating. Fans of the TV series Little Britain will understand the expression “The computer says No” The concierge staff were helpful and worth asking for advice on Venice.
My wife and I got the impression that the hotel once would have been a place of fantastic service and where nothing is too much trouble but now not quite there any more. Our trip was to celebrate our wedding anniversary and I wanted to surprise my wife with some flowers from the hotel to her in our bedroom. Could I organise that?....could I not. Despite emails from both myself and my agent Thomas Cook nothing happened. So I rang twice from the UK and was told to expect a email that will enable the flowers. The email arrived but nothing on it helped me arrange my little surprise so it never happened.
Venice itself is lovely. Not a car in sight and the various water craft weaving their way past each other is great fun. The vaporetti's (water buses) offered all day tickets and once you have elbowed your way to the back is a great way of watching the city glide past you.
The shops were as in most tourist towns, full of tat and so overpriced that one just did not bother to go in. Eating out is as you would expect expensive and variable. We had two lovely meals in our four day stay, the rest were indifferent and the Italians in Venice have no idea how to do a side salad.
The way to see Venice is not to try and see all the usual attractions as you will just get crushed by the crowds but just to wander off into the side streets and just see what happens.
Back to the Danieli. Its a lovely hotel, staff generally are helpful but not really a five star as I had hoped.

Room Tip: Our room did not face the front. OK we had no views but it was deliciously quite and a good nights s...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
dartford
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I no this is abit cheeky but im not staying at the hotel till march next year .But my wife and i had champagne and coctails in the danieli in january this year.My wife had always wanted to go to venice and i wasnt so keen .But that all changed the moment we got our water taxi to our hotel.Venice is something of fairytales it looks as though it shouldnt be there we arrived when it was alittle foggy and so couldnt see venice until we got closer and then it just appeared. All these old buildings some 800 years just sitting in water they just float on the water its an amazing site to be seen.We had watched the film the tourist and always wanted to visit the danieli.We was all dressed up as venice calls for that its such an elegant city that you want to respect it.We walked in to the hotel and was awe stuck my wife had to tell me to shut my mouth!.IT IS JUST BEAUITFUL.I couldnt take my eyes off of the ceiling murano chanidlers gold everywhere the lobby and coctail area are truly magical we sat down pretending that we were guests there when a waiter came over straight away we thought he was going to ask us to leave or ask for our room number.Instead he ask if we wanted something to drink so i looked at the list and ordered a bottle of champagne as thats our favorite drink anyway and when it came to us it was on a beauitful silver tray with silver pots full of nibbles at no extra charge.I couldnt beileve i was drinking champagne in this most special hotel. My wife had to phone our daughter in uk to tell her what she was doing but when she answered she couldnt speak and started crying for no reason other then the beauty of the place was overwellming ,I must admit i had a cry as well. and i never cry we both cried in the basillia as well and for no other reason than the beauty .We returned to the danieli that night and had cocktails which were very expensive but its one of them things you do once in your life , i so i thought.We returned to the uk and i couldnt stop thinking about the danieli and ive been to lots of countrys in the world but i knew i had to stay in the danieli so i booked it a year ahead for our anniversary as a surprise for my wife. Im so looking forward to staying there for 5 days i hope it is an anniversary to remember so if there is anything that you are thinking of doing different then book the danieli and see this wonderful place

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank james h
Bremerton, Washington
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We savored our lunch at The Danieli every time we visited Venice (way back in the 80s and 90s). Sorry Trip Advisor makes me tell a fib on our visit date. We ordered a first course, dessert and wine for two and savored the view as much as the wonderful food. I can remember we spent about $100 for two which was plenty in those days. I can still close my eyes and imagine very clearly the entire two hours we spent. It was fun walking into that perfect looking lobby, riding the elevator to the open air restaurant and pretending we could have stayed there if we'd have wanted. Even the bathroom was fabulous! It's been years and I hope to go back once more. It's a bit disturbing reading reviews about poor service. We outsiders were treated very well. Thank you for the memories.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Mona2446,
We genuinely appreciate your positive comments. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the culinary delights and ambience of the Terrazza Restaurant and we will certainly share your compliments with the Executive Chef and his team; they will be more than happy to get such a great recognition.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Danieli Terrazza Restaurant on your future visits.
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Excellent hotel, the staff always attentive to the guests demands, excellent concierge and the location...wonderful. This hotel is ideally located for shopping and sightseeing. Everyone was polite, friendly and professional and couldn't have been more accomodating despite this being an extremely busy hotel. Our room was large and the bed was the most comfortable we have ever slept in. Although the furnishings were not as modern as expected, the room was very clean and the size more than made up for it. Everything else about this hotel made our trip memorable. The public areas are truly beautiful and I would recommend staying here to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank danayeah
Dear danayeah,
Thank you for your fantastic feedback regarding your recent visit to the Hotel Danieli. I am very happy to receive such an encouraging review from you. I will certainly pass all of your kind comments on to my team as mentioned and I know they will be delighted to hear them. We will look forward to welcoming you back soon.
kindest regards,