On arrival at Marco Polo airport you can choose to travel to the hotel by land bus, water bus, or water taxi. We chose water bus. It costs €25 for a return trip (€15 one way) and it took an hour and a quarter to reach St Mark's Square. From what I understand, a water taxi costs about €70 (one way) but takes less time and will take you directly to your hotel. It's a ten minute walk from the water bus stop at St Mark's to the hotel.
The hotel is five minute walk from both St Mark's Sq and the Rialto Bridge so makes an excellent base for exploring. It has been recently renovated and it certainly shows. The decor is absolutely beautiful. Even the toilets in the lobby are worth a mention they are so swanky!
We stayed in a lovely deluxe room on the fourth floor (411) that had a canal view. The room wasn't particularly big, but was perfectly fine for a two night stay. The only problem we had with a canal view room was the noise. The Gondola's with the music, the power boats making their deliveries and not to mention the occasional building work that went on in the area. They don't have double glazing so you hear everything!
The restaurant in the hotel is excellent and reasonably priced. We honestly didn't know what to choose for lunch, it all looked good! Breakfast was buffet style. The only hot food to choose from was lightly cooked bacon and scambled egg. The rest was continental. We ordered breakfast in our room on the second day and we were given just one plate of bacon and eggs to share along with the cereals and bread. We called down for a second plate, but just got a grumpy waiter that came to the room, looked at the tray and then left! It just made us laugh rather than annoy us.
The lobby and bar have a very relaxing atmosphere and you could happily lounge around for ages. Internet is free in the lobby (not in the rooms) but you have to ask for a voucher code and it only works for 30 minutes.
The reception staff are worth a mention, they were very friendly and helpful :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Splendid Venice hotel is based in the historic centre of Venice, with the city's must-see sights and hidden treasures all within your reach. Just a short stroll or gondola ride will take you to Venice's most iconic sights: San Marco square and the Rialto Bridge. Like the city itself, our 165 rooms and suites are a mixture of styles, but all capture the essence of a romantic Venice holiday. Blending contemporary comforts with details that reflect classic Venetian character, each room has a light, elegant atmosphere, with many offering wonderful views over canals and the Venice skyline with its magnificent San Marco's bell tower in the horizon. Le Maschere at the Splendid Venice is one of the few restaurants near San Marco Square that is popular with Venetians and tourists alike. This authentic Venetian restaurant serves classic dishes with a modern twist. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Starhotels Splendid Venice reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Starhotels Splendid Venice Hotel Venice
- Starhotels Splendid Hotel Venice
- Venice Starhotels Splendid Hotel
- Starhotel Splendid Venice