“Great central location and superbly decorated”

Starhotels Splendid Venice
Ranked #65 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 5 March 2012

On arrival at Marco Polo airport you can choose to travel to the hotel by land bus, water bus, or water taxi. We chose water bus. It costs €25 for a return trip (€15 one way) and it took an hour and a quarter to reach St Mark's Square. From what I understand, a water taxi costs about €70 (one way) but takes less time and will take you directly to your hotel. It's a ten minute walk from the water bus stop at St Mark's to the hotel.

The hotel is five minute walk from both St Mark's Sq and the Rialto Bridge so makes an excellent base for exploring. It has been recently renovated and it certainly shows. The decor is absolutely beautiful. Even the toilets in the lobby are worth a mention they are so swanky!

We stayed in a lovely deluxe room on the fourth floor (411) that had a canal view. The room wasn't particularly big, but was perfectly fine for a two night stay. The only problem we had with a canal view room was the noise. The Gondola's with the music, the power boats making their deliveries and not to mention the occasional building work that went on in the area. They don't have double glazing so you hear everything!

The restaurant in the hotel is excellent and reasonably priced. We honestly didn't know what to choose for lunch, it all looked good! Breakfast was buffet style. The only hot food to choose from was lightly cooked bacon and scambled egg. The rest was continental. We ordered breakfast in our room on the second day and we were given just one plate of bacon and eggs to share along with the cereals and bread. We called down for a second plate, but just got a grumpy waiter that came to the room, looked at the tray and then left! It just made us laugh rather than annoy us.

The lobby and bar have a very relaxing atmosphere and you could happily lounge around for ages. Internet is free in the lobby (not in the rooms) but you have to ask for a voucher code and it only works for 30 minutes.

The reception staff are worth a mention, they were very friendly and helpful :-)

Room Tip: Don't choose a canal view room if you want complete peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank charliesangel02
splendidvenice2011, Direttore at Starhotels Splendid Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

Dear Charliesangel 02,
thank you very much for dedicating a bit of your time to us ad for your preciosus feedback.
It's really a great pleasure to read your comments.. thank you so much.!!. I will pass your comment to all or associates in a way of awarding such great service, and personaly to our Reception Staff . Again thank you and looking forward to welcoming you back soon,
Salvatore Pisani

Write a ReviewReviews (2,769)

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed here recently during a 3 day visit to Venice, was lucky that I was able to get a combined flight/hotel deal from expedia which reduced the cost.
The hotel is in a good position for the main tourist attractions and therefore in the middle of the venetian tourism and shopping district! It's a short walk from the Rialto water bus stop which is easy to get to from the airport and makes it hard to get lost as can always follow the signs back to Rialto.
The hotel is expensive, has a nice bar area but charges 10 euros for a beer, states it has free wi-fi in the lobby but to get this you have to get a voucher from reception everytime you want to use it and then is around 10 euros to use the wi-fi in the rooms.
The rooms were comfortable, with great beds and linen but not very spacious, the furnishing of the superior room I stayed in looked nothing like the web photos.
Seemed to be alot of large groups staying at the hotel when I was there, I would only recommend if for people for first time visits to Venice.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo

Dear wavesBondi,
Thank you very much for your your nice comment and for choosing The Starhotels Splendid Venice as place to stay. Thank you also for recommend our Hotel, we sincerely hope to welcome you back soon at th Starhotels Splendid Venice.

Reviewed 1 March 2012

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for a short break to celebrate her 50th birthday and we were not disappointed. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a luxury suite, free of charge, with a view looking over the small canal 4 floors below The interior has been renovated extensively and our room was very comfortable with a king size bed. The bathroom was beautifully furnished with marble with his and hers slippers and dressing gowns provided adding a touch of finesse. The lounge bar area of the hotel is very relaxing and gondalas can be seen cruising along the canal whilst sipping bellini cocktails served with delicious canapes. The restaurant area has been built around an atrium with a glass roof. Breakfasts consist of croissants, fruit salad as well as the usual hot buffet fayre. We had a wonderful meal one evening and the candlelit dining area added to the ambience of the setting. The wine list is reasonably extensive as well. The location is superb as you are 5 minutes either way from the Rialto and St Marks Square with excellent shopping thrown in for good measure just outside the hotel. The receptionists were helpful to us in locating the Venice Jazz club and a small deli "Alle Arco"

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the canal!

Dear Blackholer,
It's really a great pleasure to read your nice comment !! Thank you so much.. We are very happy that your stay was both "nice and enyoyble" .. I will make sure that all our associates will be aware of your nice comment. We look forward to welcome you back soon at the Starhortels Splendid Venice and remain,

Reviewed 25 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days during the recent Carnevale. Although it's well located between the two craziest places in Venice, Piazza San Marco and Rialto, the hotel is situated next to a serene and tranquil canal - quite lovely really. It's a little tricky to find coming from Rialto but much easier when approaching from San Marco.

The hotel is modern and the lounge area is very nice indeed. My deluxe room with a canal view was reasonably spacious by Venetian standards. I enjoyed the spotless modern feel to it. Internet access in the room is charged but free wifi is available in the public areas.

The hot breakfast was quite good by Italian standards (remember locals don't do the hot bacon and eggs stuff) and apart from the cheese and cold meats, bacon and eggs were also served in the buffet.

The concierge was helpful in arranging dinner reservations.

My main criticism is that the in-room dining prices were more steep than I had expected. Overall a strong recommendation in Venice, especially for those looking for a modern hotel.

Dear kahkityoong,
thank you so much for taking the tiem to leave your nice comment about the Starhotels Splendid Venice and for staying with us..
Just two words: Thank you..I will make sure our concierge and alla ssociates will be informed of the excellent service.. We sincerely hope to welcome you back at teh Starhotels Splendid Venice and remai,

Reviewed 25 February 2012

My stay at this hotel was just that ... Splendid! I booked a double superior room for the carnival weekend. I arrived February 16 and stayed for 3 nights. My room overlooked a narrow street which was not noisy. The music from the tv was piped into the marble bathroom ...I loved the bathroom. There were complimentary toiletries i.e. lotion, shampoo and bath gel.. The hotel staff were wonderful. My room was so comfortable and of course being that I live in Rome and have only a shower, the bathtub was heavenly. The bed was super comfortable... and I also had a kettle with complimentary coffee... nice touch for first thing in the a.m. I loved the lounge. It over looks the small canal and the seating is really plush and full of pillows. I discovered this hotel the weekend prior when a friend had taken me there for cocktails. It is a very romantic setting and something I will never forget...the Gondola's stream by slowly like some sort of Discovery video. The bartender Marco is courteous and professional and the staff in the restaurant went out of their way to make me comfortable when I had dinner...I've never had so many men waiting on me. The hotel room was pretty quiet the only time I noticed noise was on my last evening when a Japanese tourist was yelling from his bathtub to another family member (for heaven's sake). For those that are particular with hotel room details I will provide the following information: the hotel room floor was a bit beaten up and there was a large crack on the mirror frame that surrounds the flat screen tv. The doors on either side of the hotel room I was in slammed shut quite loudly and it would shake my room as I am sure mine did although I would try to stop it from slamming. I am only mentioning this to give an honest review. I slept really well ... LOVED the bed. One morning I had breakfast in my room...amazing...they brought it right on time, the lady was courteous.. they had put an orchid in a small glass and I had ample food. I would definitely stay here again!!!... Location CENTRAL. Do not hesitate to contact me if you would like more info or photos.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel to enjoy Carnivale in Venice. We were given a room upgrade on arrival and treated wonderfully. The hotel is on a canal and our room overlooked another canal. The staff were wonderful, our room was beautiful and the breakfast was also excellent. It was a splurge for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Room Tip: Not sure if any rooms had balconies, but a room with a canal view was fun!
1  Thank Istanbulgal
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed in this hotel in November 2011, hotel was clean and modern and in a perfect location would recommend. The hotel was easy to find and positioned between St Marks square and the Rialto bridge. Lovely hotel bar which overlooks the canal. Would recommend a trip on the gondolas.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
splendidvenice2011, Direttore at Starhotels Splendid Venice, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Dear George Uk 12,
thank you so much for dedicating a bit of your time to us and for your nice comment...
It's really important for us to know you had an excellet experience!!.. this is our mission..
Thank you so much and we hop to welcome you back soon at The Starhotels Splendid Venice.