2,418 results
All reviews grand canal train station riviera travel canal view water taxi an upgrade watch the world four nights restaurants and shops loved this hotel gondola ride large bathroom vaporetto stop your luggage piazzale roma on foot st marks square
Reviewed November 16, 2014

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. It is rated a four star hotel, but I would not give it more than two stars.

The only good thing about this place is the location, as it is within a quarter of a mile from San Lucia train station. There are many good restaurants, bakeries and gelato places near the hotel, and the public water transportation is also within a quarter of a mile.

The front desk service was extremely rude. Even though I had paid for three adults, they asked me to pay another thirty euros per night for our child. I showed them the booking confirmation and they backed off, but they were still mumbling about having an extra person in the room. I was told that they'll give me a room with two beds, but this turned out to be not the case.

There was only one bed in the room so our child had to sleep on the couch. The bed was rock hard and it was difficult to make it thru the night without having back pains. The room decor was grungy and dated. The carpet was old, warn out, and had stains everywhere. There was an old TV about 15 inches in size. The room smelled of smoke so I opened the window. This helped a little but the noise from the outside was unbearable. We all got breathing and throat problems the very next day and this all went away a day after we checked out. There was no way to lock the room from the inside so I had to lean a chair against the door at night in the hopes that if someone tried to enter the room, the falling chair would give some warning.

The breakfast served in their restaurant was not of a very good quality. It consisted of croissants that were not fresh at all, the hard boiled eggs were not done properly, and the scrambled eggs were very runny.

At checkout I was forced to pay "city taxes" which were included in the amount I paid at the time of booking. My reservation confirmation clearly stated that all the taxes and fees were included with the price. The front desk staff was extremely rude to me about this.

I have never stayed at a four star hotel with so many shortcomings. Considering the accommodations and the service provided, I would be hard-pressed to give this hotel even two stars.

Needless to say, I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank NHWorldTravelerJay
Reviewed November 15, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights and enjoyed every moment. We arrived by train and the hotel was a short wander from the station. Reception was welcoming and efficient and our room (225) was larger than we expected and with a bathroom. Our room overlooked the Grand Canal yet was quiet and very comfortable. Breakfast was buffet style with many choices. I suggest that for at least one morning you take breakfast outside by the canal, with waiter service its worth the extra 5 euros per person - an experience to remember - a good one! The street outside seems always busy and vibrant with tourists, some in large groups, walking by - it is a popular walking route from the train and the vaporetto. The street also has many hotels, cafes/restaurants and tourist shops - again - great choices. Water taxis and vaporettos are close by allowing access to all major 'attractions'. We also enjoyed easy walks into back 'streets' where you can get away from the busier 'streets' and see some local colour.
The hotel and its location served all our needs and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Canal view rooms are quiet and worth the extra for the views.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2014

Hotel Principe has a perfect location within blocks of the train station. Staff was helpful, but not overly friendly. If you haven't visited Italy, you will quickly learn that many hotels have HUGE key fobs for the room so that you will want to leave your key at the front desk and they prefer that you do so. Kind of a hassle, especially when coming and going often. We were part of a tour, in which this hotel was chosen for us. Again, location was great, breakfast was just so-so, rooms could use updating and the carpet In our room and hallways was yucky. Many good restaurants within steps of our hotel. I did not like that there were hawkers right outside our hotel selling cheap knockoffs of designer goods. They are everywhere along busy streets.

Room Tip: We had a quiet inside room away from the street and were just steps from an outside balcony area where we could see the Grand Canal. If your a/c doesn't work, ask the front desk to turn it on. We spent a warm night before realizing it wasn't functioning.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BirdWord58
Reviewed November 13, 2014 via mobile

Very happy with our stay. Great location for train and bus station. It's always possible to find fault with any hotel but off season buget price four accommodation in Venice this was excellent we would definitely recommend. Breakfast was very good with an excellent view. We were upgraded free of charge. Thanks

Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2014

Hotel is centrally located very near to the train and bus station, ideal if arriving this way. We had a room (230) on the second floor with a small balcony (standing room for one only) with great views down the Grand Canal. Staff were very efficient and extremely helpful. The room was a good size with a wonderful bathroom. Breakfast is self service with a wide range of food and very nice coffee, hot food was boiled or scrambled egg with streaky bacon. Only downside is the charge for WiFi and the Television but there are plenty of free WiFi cafes in the area. Hotel is 30 mins walk to St Marks Square but only 100 Yards to the Water Bus opposite the train station. Overall a nice hotel would definitely use again.

Room Tip: View over the Grand Canal is very nice.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple