“Nice room in the main building at a reasonable price.”

Hotel Messner Palace
Ranked #300 of 385 Hotels in Venice
New York City, New York
“Nice room in the main building at a reasonable price.”
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I stayed at Hotel Messner for 4 night in early October 2011. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised with the room, which was on the 1st floor of their main buildings. The room overlooked the canal and had 3 windows with shutters and a small balcony facing the canal. The room was clean, neat, and well kept. The bathroom was small, but had everything in it. The restaurant was o.k., but sometimes when it was busy service was rather slow. The people at the reception were as helpful as they could be considering their limited English. The only thing I am not happy about is the inadequate response to my inquiries regarding items I accidently left in a drawer in the room. I inquired twice by phone and on the receptionist's suggestion send the hotel one inquiry by e-mail. However, a week after my initial inquiry, I still have not been able to find out whether my property was found.

Room Tip: Reserve early and ask for a room in their main building. I have read many negative reviews about the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Wilhelmina87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lancaster, Ohio
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Just stayed at the Hotel Messner for 10 days and found it delightful. I had a beautiful corner room overlooking the Rio Fornace and looked forward to 'coming home' at night. The staff was very accomodating, helpful, kind, and friendly--they never turned down any of my requests for assistance, and in fact, went out of their way to be of service. The location is great, just behind Salute and across the Grand Canal from San Marco. I would happily send any of my friends there.

Room Tip: Rooms 9, 10, and 11 in the main building were nice.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank OverworkedMom48
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Stayed there during the mask carnival. Room was specious and clean, so the bathroom. Breakfast was OK, they have also good restaurant. The Location is pretty good - close to the canal - and one boat stop from S. Marco. Although the hotel was rated as 2 star - in my opinion it was better than most of 3 star hotels that I visited in Europe. They have one more building, I stayed at the one with the reception and the restaurant, so, I can’t tell about the other.

Room Tip: Book several months in advance. See my note about the two buildings.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Dillon, Colorado
Reviewed 30 May 2011

The staff at the Hotel Messner were rude and surly. Although we loved Venice, I would never recommend that anyone stay at the Hotel Messner. The only good thing I can say about it was the location on a small canal resulted in a quiet place. We stayed in the annex (described in one guide book as elegantly decorated). It was a dump!! None of the doors or windows closed properly, the tile was coming off in the bathroom, the furniture, decor and TV looked like 50s vintage. Believe me, it was a dump! We dreaded coming back to that room. On our last night in Venice, we wanted to eat a light meal at the Hotel Messner. First, the waiter put us in a booth inside and forgot about us. When I noticed that a couple of people left the garden area, we asked to be seated out there. My husband ordered a pasta dish and I ordered a salad. At that point, I was told I could not sit in the garden area if I was only ordering a salad. I informed the waiter that were we staying at the hotel, and he reluctantly let us stay. We have never been treated so rudely in all our travels. This hotel should be removed from all the guide books. Oh by the way, we observed other guests being treated the same way.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Snow1961

Travellers are raving about these Venice hotels

Runcorn
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Disagree with previous reviews, we stayed in the annex and it wad fine, clean, Maid came into room each day, left clean large bath towels. We paid £368 for 5 nights for two of us (including flights)with Travel Republic, so £200 for the room which was excellent. Few mins walk from Salute Vapoetto stop, 5 mins walk to Acadamia bridge from where you can walk to San Marco square, the Zattare and Grand Canal at either end of the street. Hotel staff friendly and helpful, breakfast good, coffee and croissants were nice. We had set meal 15 euros each and wine 10 euros in the restaurant, it was our best night. I would highly recommend and would stay again. Go to Burano for a great day out.

• Stayed April 2011
Irvine, California
Reviewed 23 October 2010

The room was $160 a night and was not worth it except for the location. The room was infested with mosquitos and was not clean. The bathroom was tiny, and had to ask for towels. The room was also dark and dreary in the annex. The main problem with the hotel was the staff. They were unfriendly and went out of there way to be rude/sarcastic. The location was good because it was in walking distance to a local market and restaurants. Don't waste your money at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sos90
Wirral
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Great location close to Salute vaporetto stop and therefore St Marks. Very welcoming and helpful manager and public areas OK for this grade of hotel. I've read elsewhere that the rooms in the main building are fine but we were given a room in the annex which was grim and should be avoided at almost any price.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple