1,404 results
All reviews gondola station great location gondola service san marco vaporetto stop designer shops water taxi mark's square private terrace gondoliers singing minute walk pastries small canal bottle of prosecco breakfast room grand canal the hotel staff coffee machine
Reviewed January 26, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in January 2012, it is nice, cleane, friendly staff, good breakfast. BUT our room was very small with quiet old furniture, also the hotel has problems with sound proofing...but who want to sleep in Venice))) The location of this hotel is excellence!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lilizav
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed at this hotel four years ago and wrote a review then, however after staying here at the beginning of December 2011,thought I would put my thoughts on a review again.
The Violino d'oro is to me, about the best location you can get in Venice. Over the San Moise bridge, down the sal san moise and you are in St Marks , in the other direction,down calle largo xxii, 10 to 15 minute stroll gets you to the accedemia,passing on the way, my favourite watering hole in all of Venice, Tarnowskis bar, and through a narrow street with the best pizza sold from a little shop making it on site, cant remember the name,but I know where for the next time.
On entering the hotel reception, you are brought back to the real venice, wonderful chandeliers and heavy drapes,and more importantly, great staff.The staff, especially Claudia, who seemed to be working every hour we were staying there are all very pleasent, and always willing to stop for a chat. The room on the second floor was the highlight, like walking back in time, big by venice hotel standards, more chandeliers, heavy drapes and flock wallpaper. there were 3 windows in the room, two looking down over the canal, and one, looking down over the san moise bridge. In the mornings, we would open the shutters and watch venice come to life, gondoliers sprussing up their craft ready for the days work. Then during the day , the bridge came to life with locals dashing back and forth, and the trippers and tourists getting their photo opportunities in,and listening to the singing as the gondolas swept past in a never ending train.We had only been there a few hours,and on return to the room, there was a bottle of prosecco and glasses to welcome us as return guests to our second home(claudias words not mine?)
Breakfast was plentiful and good quality, and mention has been made in past reviews about the tea/coffee making machines, best coffee I had in Venice. there is a small bar, which seems to open at all hours, had a few drinks there in the evening before retiring , and am still waiting for the bill, its that sort of place.The hotel was spotlessly clean,and for 3 star, it is the best, why it is only in the sixties out of four hundred plus hotels in venice in the ratings, escapes me.
In conclusion, for the price, a wonderful place to stay, we WILL return, and hopefully room 203 will be at our disposal again

Room Tip: Any of the rooms looking down over the san moise is the place to be
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dozydai
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Very near to Piazza San Marco. The rooms are ok. Fair price for the location.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Kico_mei
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We stayed in this hotel in late September and loved every minute of it. We had the most amazing room that looked over the square below. We arrived in the morning but were still able to check in early. This allowed us to have a quick nap before going out to explore the city. We had the corner room so it overlooked the canal on one side. We opened up the windows and shutters and could still sleep with the melee outside. And in doing so we were able to have quintessentially Venetian experience of being woken up hours later by an opera singer in a gondola below!

We could NOT stop marvelling at the location and view from our room. I have booked my fair share of rooms online and always been slightly disappointed in one way or another but this hotel FAR exceeded my expectations! The morning breakfast had an amazing selection and they took great care of our luggage after we had checked out and before we left the city.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat and highly recommend you do too!!

Room Tip: I didn't request the corner room, we just lucked out but if you can I would suggest that room. There is lots of natural light and ambiance.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leegns
Reviewed December 26, 2011

This was a great hotel in an even better location! Less than a block from the San Marco Vaporetto stop...we had to ask to get there bc the street signs (if you find any) mean nothing. But no worries bc we asked along the way and people were incredibly friendly and helpful. Excellent location---next to a gondolier stop, 2 blocks from Piazza San Marco, and in the dead center of the most fabulous shopping area! The room was small but very clean and decorated very beautifully. The breakfast was continental but sufficient to start the day. Overall, the hotels's greatest asset was it's location. I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple