All reviews disney store rialto bridge canal view private bathroom beautiful city would recommend this hotel to anyone fantastic location hotel room quiet at night st marks square pastries grand canal euros hairdryer sink alley taxis
Reviewed October 21, 2017 via mobile

In the centre of Venice (near San Marco or Rialto) you can expect to pay at least £100+ a night, so in comparison Caneva is good value for money. Don’t expect luxurious glamour, but do expect to be 5mins from Rialto bridge and a decent place to stay. If you can get a room with a private bathroom, do so, it’s worth the extra. The staff are helpful, our night receptionist recommended 3 local places to eat and the two we managed to get to were absolutely brilliant. He also looked after my Boyf when he was ill on our first night. October is still full of mozzies so be careful when leaving the shutters open, you can see the historic swatting on the walls still, which led me to remove a star rating. For a one star hotel we were pleasantly surprised that the beds were made daily and toiletries replaced. All facilities were covered, anything you need you can just ask and if they can help you, they will. Thank you Caneva!

Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed October 10, 2017 via mobile

Venice is so expensive. This place (relatively) isn't. That tells you something about the hotel and the expectations you should have if you book it.

Pros - very clean, great location near San Marco square / Rialto, canal views, wifi was decent, they do left luggage, and (most importantly) cheap. Also, the lady who checked is in was polite.

Cons - the place is (understandably) old and probably sinking like the rest of Venice, which meant our room was on an angle making it hard to sleep. This was compounded by the noise that was coming from the rubbish collection boats that seemed to operate in the canal every morning groom 6.30am onwards (no this isn't a problem everywhere in Venice btw).

On balance, for the price we paid it was much better than we expected, but I was pretty happy to leave after two nights of limited sleep. Recommend this place for short stays and heavy sleepers.

Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed October 2, 2017

I stayed at the Hotel Caneva for three nights at the end of September. I was travelling with my 16 year old daughter.
First of all, three nights is not enough time for Venice so we will just have to make sure we return and when we do we will seriously consider staying in this hotel again.
We booked it in a hurry as we had already booked our flights and a lot of the hotels we looked at were fully booked for our dates. After booking we looked at reviews and wondered if we had done the right thing. Ok, so the hotel is a little dated in terms of décor and the carpet on the stairs is threadbare. However, our room was very spacious with a double and a single bed and a fairly large bathroom. The whole room was spotlessly clean. We didn't have a great view but then Venice is too beautiful to spend much time in your hotel room. Plus the upside of this was that it was really quiet at night and we slept very well. The two gentlemen we saw when we checked in and every time we came in and out of the hotel were polite. They were both very patient with my poor attempts at guidebook Italian and their greetings to us were always friendly. The wifi in the room worked fine - we just used it to look for recommended restaurants and to check emails. The location was excellent - tucked away off a little alley by a pretty church. We could walk to St Marks Square or the Rialto Bridge in minutes. There were a lot of lovely places to eat or have a drink within very easy walking distance and we felt very safe walking around at all times of day and evening.

So - don't be put off by the negative reviews. Hotel Caneva may not have the charm of some of the more expensive places but if you want a good value clean hotel in a beautiful location then this hotel would be my recommendation.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank Murphy939
Reviewed September 20, 2017 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews for this hotel we booked into the hotel with some trepidation
But we we were very pleasantly surprised,we were booked into the hotel by a very friendly gentlemen.
Who proceeded to help us with how to get to a meeting point as we had a tour booked just after we had got there
Our room was really nice ,it even had a little balcony which was fantastic as we were able to watch the gondolas go by
The bathroom was a decent size looked quite new and the showers was very good.
We paid for breakfast €5 euros each , it was good value as much as you wanted coffee ,tea ,pastries cereal, bread cold meats etc
It's location was perfect, couple of mins from Rialto Bridge and from St Marks Square
It was easy to find with the instructions the hotel send you.
It was perfect for us and would stay again.
Room number 34 is the room with a balcony .

2  Thank barbaraWales
Reviewed September 9, 2017

I didn't read any reviews of Hotel Caneva so I had no idea what to expect. Gloomy penal institution was the first thing that sprang to mind on leaving the bright glare of the Venice sunshine. All hard shiny surfaces - an interior with the charm of a filing cabinet. In my room, I was happy to overlook the punched-in wardrobe, the stiff peak of an alleged towel and the blind encrusted with pigeon feathers but the manager's rudeness was quite something else. He has been compared online to Basil Fawlty but that is to do Basil a disservice. Asked about the lack of wifi in my room he went off at the deep end, utterly refusing to do anything at all to help - sneering dismissively that I was the only one who had ever complained. His hapless sidekick Manuel just stood there. I have to say that apart from this grim, rude little manager and the lack of wifi - despite publicising that it's available in all areas - the female staff, including the cleaner, couldn't have been more helpful. If your idea of a holiday is to have to deal with someone who has a serious anger problem and who treats you with complete contempt then this could be just the place for you.

• Trip type: Travelled solo