All reviews easy access two nights supermarket bedroom canal luggage
Reviewed October 13, 2015 via mobile

First off, Alex is super nice, accommodating (let us keep our bags later on checkout day due to a camera left behind at a restaurant that didn't open until 7pm) and knowledgeable (gave us a great recommendation for a free walking tour). He started off our visit with a map and circled some must-see items, good restaurants and easiest routes. He offers a small breakfast in the morning of pre-packaged items like croissants plus toast, coffee and juice. Secondly, the place can be VERY difficult to find only because Venice calls walkways streets. Took us about 15 min to walk from train station. We stayed in a 4-bed room and towels were 2 euro to rent. Lockers weren't big enough for our bags so we locked up what we needed to. Locks and chains were free of charge. My con relates to the facilities ... They are old (as everything in Venice is) and could be cleaner. Maybe we had messy roommates, but the bathroom wasn't as clean as I'd preferred and for the price to stay. The shower has tape on part of it and the medicine cabinet is full of stuff from I don't know where (maybe this is meant to be accommodating?). With that said ... Our view from our bedroom was right on the water so facilities not ALL bad.

Date of stay: October 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2015

I stayed for 7 nights there in a 4-person female dorm room. It's on the 3rd floor with 4 twin size beds. You get a small locker with lock and key provided for camera, handbag, and valuables but not for luggage.

The breakfast is provided but is continental and rather skimpy. It's also within a narrow time frame if you want to catch it.

The location is steps from San Basilio vaporetto stop (line 2 and 5.1). It's also steps from Conad, a grocery store. It's right on Dorsoduro's water front therefore if you stay in the dorm room (mixed dorm in on 2nd floor), you will hear boat horns, people talking, and all kind of noise from outside. It's fine with me because I am a heavy sleeper.

Owner Alex is a friendly guy and would allow you to use the kitchen to make your own dinner. However, there are quite a few decent restaurants in Dorsoduro that I'd rather dine out than cooking.

The bathroom is outside of the room and shared by maximum of 6 people (there's a 2-person private room on 3rd floor, too).

The wifi is free and strong because not many people sharing it (maximum 10 people if fully booked).

I highly recommend Silk Road for its location. In Venice where everything is expensive, this is one bargain you should not overlook if you are a budget traveler.

Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank S J
Reviewed September 7, 2015 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here in a 4 bed dorm. All single beds, no bunks and a huge room. A big cupboard to put everything and the lock was supplied which was good.
The best thing is the view! Omg the view from the room is amazing! If you paid for that view in a hotel you would be charged an arm and a leg.
The location was ok interms of all touristy things, but the location was actually one of my favourites. Can definitely walk everywhere.
The water bus stop is right out the front, and that's definitely a must do in Venice. Easy to get from the train station or bus stop.
By far the best hostel we have both stayed in! Would recommend it.

Date of stay: September 2015
1  Thank daniellesE5288AH
Reviewed August 28, 2015 via mobile

If you catch the water taxi turn right follow the water along 50m there's a gelato shop just before it, look at the numbers. No.s jump from 1470 to 1419 it's in the lane between. Alex was an awesome host with great tips for eating & seeing. Place was clean & inviting we really enjoyed our stay. Location was great to walk everywhere. Pic's are the lane between & front door.

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rajashree I
Reviewed August 16, 2015 via mobile

I stayed at this hostle for two nights. It's right on the water so you always have some noise from the canal, but it is relatively quiet. No bunk beeds here, they are all singles in spacious rooms with free lockers. The breakfast is included, basic but sufficent. It is about a 20 min walk to St. Marc's square, right next to a supermarket, water taxi and ATM. Restaurants are close by and walking around the district is full of surprises.
The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms and bathrooms are clean and tidy.
The prices are really good for Venice and you will have a hard time finding a better deal!

Date of stay: August 2015