“Hotel Antique Figure is the best place to stay in Venice!!!”

Hotel Antiche Figure
Ranked #10 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
“Hotel Antique Figure is the best place to stay in Venice!!!”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My husband Elliot and I arrived at the Antique Figure one day before our 9-night cruise aboard MSC Magnifica was due to leave. We arrived from a long trip from JFK in NY ready to take a long nap to recover from having taken 4 trains which took 5 hours from Philadelphia to JFK because our flight from Phil. to JFK was cancelled. We left our house in Drexel Hill in a snow storm. When we arrived in Venice it was around 50 degrees, warm and sunny. We were greeted warmly by Francesca and Alessandro, and later by Antonio and Anka. They gave us a map of Venice and marked on it different places which were very helpful to our learning what water taxi to take to arrive at Piazzo San Marcos, where we visited the church with no lines and for free. The Water Taxi #1 was only 6 EURO each, and the trip was about 45 minutes from Antique Figure to Piazzo San Marcos, we stayed outside in the back of the boat, snapping picture after picture of gorgeous Venice, Alessandro recommended the boat ride to us, and we loved it!!! We took a 2 hour nap first, after they finished cleaning our room. We had asked for an early check-in and our flight arrived an hour earlier than expected. It took us only about 10 minutes to walk to the hotel with our luggage from the Piazzo Roma, where the airport bus left us off, the airport bus took only about 15 minutes and cost us only 2 EURO, best deal in town!!! Why pay more? We had to cross two bridges, and my husband lugged my luggage up the stairs and then it was easy to take my luggage down the stairs after my husband showed me how best to do it, just bumping it lightly down the stairs in front of me. Some aggressive Italians tried grabbing the luggage out of my hands to "help" me (hoping to get money from us, or just to be helpful), but they made it harder and once the luggage dropped from my hands when a man tried to help me lift it. It was easiest when my husband and I did it ourselves. A nice man from South Africa helped take my husband's suit case down the stairs at one point. It was not a bad trip walking from Piazzo Roma to Antique Figure, even with two suitcases each. Our room was so comfortable, the bed mattress was firm the way I like it. The bathroom had a hanging heater for our towels, which made our towels warm, it is a great invention, we should have them in the U.S., so efficient for heating the bathroom with the added benefit of warming our towels. I washed my long johns in the sink and laid them over the hanging bathroom heater, and they dried in less than 10 minutes!!! We had an excellent breakfast at Antique Figure, which included Kiwis, fruit yogurt, cheeses, cereal, hard boiled eggs, orange juice and snack cakes which I took for later, for an afternoon snack. I would warn travelers planning to take a "free" water taxi to the Ducaly Show Room on the Murano Island, the water taxi ride was fun and indeed free, set up by our hotel, who had a contract with the water taxi service, but when my husband made an emotional purchase of some expensive glasses at the show room and wanted to cancel his purchase less than 2 days after signing the purchase order contract, which said no cancellations (we did not notice this and the salesman did not point out the no cancellation clause before my husband signed), the Ducaly Show Room refused to cancel, and there is no law in Italy allowing purchasers three days to cancel if they change their mind like there is in the USA, and salesman did tell us that in Italy there was no consumer protection law like in the USA and that was why salesman did not work on commission as it would make them too aggressive. The salesman was not aggressive, but we could not cancel the contract, so just make sure if making a purchase that you really want the glass items. They are beautifully made by very expensive. Our staff tried to help us get a discount or cancellation after the sale but the Show Room did not agree to cancel or to give a discount. We posed with staff Alessandro, Francesca and Anka on the final day of our stay. We visited the Science Museum the final day while keeping out luggage in the ground floor luggage room since we had already checked out of our room, the staff was so very helpful to us at every turn, the friendly atmosphere of the Antique Figure truly made it a home away from home for us, and we would definitely stay there again if ever in Venice in the future. I sure hope we come again, but hopefully it will be warmer next time, as what a difference it made in just 9 days, when we arrived back at Antique Figure after our cruise for an additional 4 day stay in Venice it was snowing and in the low 20's, and with the wind chill, it felt like less than 0 degrees. Our guide Hilaria told us that she had not seen cold weather like this in 30 years. We met some nice girls from Brazil our final day at Antique Figure who were headed to Rome (a three hour train ride they told us), and Rome was covered in snow at that point, the girls from Brazil told us that they had never seen snow before so I bet they loved Rome in the snow!!! Thanks Antique Figure for the most wonderful time in Venice!!!! We visited the Jewish Ghetto while in Venice, had a tour of 3 old and well preserved synagogues and toured the museum there too. I highly recommend this as a very interesting visit. We did not enjoy the Ducaly Palace in Piazzo San Marcos, the palace was not heated and it was freezing cold inside. We later visited another palace, Ca' Rezzonico, which was furnished and heated, and also contained an amazing collection of art work, we enjoyed that palace much more than the Ducaly Palace, because Ca' Rezzonico was furnished you could more imagine what life was like back then -- than in the Ducaly Palace which did not contain furnishings. We enjoyed a very tasty lentil soup which the Italians call in English "Cereal," which cost us 9 EURO. We ate twice at a very good restaurant that served excellent Lasagna and vegetable soup, each entry was around 7.5 EURO, not cheap but more reasonable than other restaurants. This restaurant was called Magdalena or something like that, and it was pet friendly, they had small dogs sitting right on the chairs at the tables.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 4th floor, it was very nice, the view was above the neighboring roofs, so you w...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Deborah S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Perfect place if you are taking a cruise, or just visting.

The hotel is so lovely, charming, clean and helpful! We paid a couple of extra euro to move to the front of the hotel so we had views of the Grand Canal. It was perfect!

1.It is right on the grand canal right across from the train station and the water bus stop so you can get ANYWHERE easily.
2. It is two small bridges from Piazzale Roma which is where you can take the bus from the airport for only a couple of euros. Once you get off the bus, head towards the Grand Canal. Do NOT take the large glass bridge over the canal, turn right and go over two small bridges. The hotel is right before the bridge you would take to cross the Grand Canal to get to the train station or water buses.
3. To get to your cruse ship, depending on where it is docked, you can go back to the Piazzle Roma and use the people mover or use the water bus to drop you off at the dock. We used the bus as our ship was not docked where most of the larger ships are placed.

I booked this hotel because of trip advisor's reviews and it was not wrong! My travel agent wanted to book me somewhere else and the price was going to be twice as much. She also wanted to get us transportation from the airport and also to the cruise ship. If we had gone with her, the transportation alone was going to cost us (family of 4) about $700. You do not need any private transportation. The bus from the airport and the regular bus service is convenient and perfect.
The front desk people are so helpful and speak beautiful English. I called them directly to find out about transportation, they told me everything I needed to know.
Can't say enough good things about this hotel and the staff.

Room Tip: upgrade to the front for the view!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank CatherineChicago_IL
Monroe Township, NJ
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I'm looking forward to a return visit to the Antiche Figure. I totally enjoyed this hotel last year--the owners, Francesca and spouse, the servers at breakfast and the bartender were so, so, accommodating. I hope to renew my experiences there.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Gmarotta12
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 4 February 2012

This hotel is literally across the Grand Canal from the train station. You just turn left out of the train station and go one block, cross the Ponte Scalzi and then go one block to the right and voila! you're there. Super clean and great rooms. Wonderful breakfast included. The staff of Alessandro, Anka, Francesca and Antonio were all super helpful and friendly. Defintely consider this hotel when you're booking for Venice. I loved my stay here. I wish it could've been longer.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a less than great room. Super place
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank georgenmiller
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 1 February 2012

It's just opposite to the train station San Lucia & 10 mins walk from Plaza Roma Bus station which extremely convenient for travelling between Venice & other parts of Italy. for inner city travelling, just 30mins walk to San Marco Square!

With it's relatively low room charge, the services provided there are excellent and professional. City map will be provided and detail info will be explained. free wifi & one desk top available on the ground floor made us keep connected with our families.

I would say that the "software" (ppl) in this hotel is excellent! of cos' the "hardware" (decoration) cannot be compared with 5 stars chained hotel but as a frequet leisure traveller, i could say that this is really a nice place to stay in during the time in Venice.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MeanVivi
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We had a weekend in December at this hotel. I was concerned as it was rated as a 3 star but was very surprised. There was a little pickle with the booking but it was quickly resolved. The quality of accomodation is lovely and with 2 children with us our room was perfect. The staff were helpful, attentive and friendly and were only too willing to help. I think the staff really make this hotel special and why so many people enjoy their stay. We do hope to go back to Venice one day and wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: A balcony room is a definate bonus with beautiful views
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank farm75
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The hotel stuff everyday would ask you 'is everything ok?'. Beautiful set up, particularly the bathroom facilities. Very convenient location, right opposite the Santa Lucia station (the main one in Venice) between the canal.
Good range of buffet breakfast.
Very good value for money.

Room Tip: No swimming pool in this hotel, sorry, don't know how to delete this option on the page.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple