“Excellent base for exploring Venice”

Hotel Antiche Figure
Ranked #10 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Bratislava, Slovakia
“Excellent base for exploring Venice”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The hotel has a good location near the train station Santa Lucia. This is extremely convenient for travellers ariving by train because carrying one's luggage over the steep bridges of Venice / using water bus with luggage during the busy season may not be an easy exercise.

In contrast with what one may expect from accommodation near the train station, there are no homeless people or "weird people" in the surroundings of the hotel. There is no noice in the rooms comming from the outside as the hotel has new windows. Vaporretto stop is just 2 minutes from the hotel and water taxi stop is just outside the hotel. Location is clearly one of the most important assets of this hotel.

The hotel is very clean and the bedlinen are changed on daily basis. There is adjustable air condition / heating in every room. There are two small rooms for breafast. There is a buffet for breakfast and the choice is adequate to approx. 5 day stay (you can eat something else each day).

The staff of the hotel is extremelly welcoming and helpful with orientation in the city as well as with booking tickets for concerts etc.

We visited the hotel during the Carneval. As wearing a costume was obligatory for some events occured during the Carneval and we did not manage to arrange one before our arrival to Venice we were glad that the hotel lent us cloaks which we could wear over own clothes.

I would certainly choose hotel Antiche Figure again if comming back to Venice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MichaelaSt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
USA
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Our first visit to Venice and we chose Antiche Figure based on Trip Advisor reviews. It was everything we had hoped for. Charming hotel. We came in by train and it was great to look across the Grand Canal and see our hotel. Venice is small enough that we were able to walk everywhere. The staff really went out of their way to make sure our stay was perfect in every way. (especially Anka) Restaurant recommendations were spot on. One of our favorite days was spent visiting Burano and Torcello (a very special place).

2 Thank UsaTraveler2009
Notts, UK
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Third trip to Venice and third time at Antiche Figure. Still so clean, friendly and value for money. Great location on the Grand Canal and 2 minutes from the vaporetto.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Alessandro was most helpful by email and all was ready exactly as requested, When in depths of Venice you meet people hauling bags across bridges or from the waterbus we realised how lucky we were to have found Hotel Antiche Figure, And you can get anywhere from there quickly by waterbus. Good advice and very helpful with tickets for a concert.

2 Thank Beaver5
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My husband Elliot and I arrived at the Antique Figure one day before our 9-night cruise aboard MSC Magnifica was due to leave. We arrived from a long trip from JFK in NY ready to take a long nap to recover from having taken 4 trains which took 5 hours from Philadelphia to JFK because our flight from Phil. to JFK was cancelled. We left our house in Drexel Hill in a snow storm. When we arrived in Venice it was around 50 degrees, warm and sunny. We were greeted warmly by Francesca and Alessandro, and later by Antonio and Anka. They gave us a map of Venice and marked on it different places which were very helpful to our learning what water taxi to take to arrive at Piazzo San Marcos, where we visited the church with no lines and for free. The Water Taxi #1 was only 6 EURO each, and the trip was about 45 minutes from Antique Figure to Piazzo San Marcos, we stayed outside in the back of the boat, snapping picture after picture of gorgeous Venice, Alessandro recommended the boat ride to us, and we loved it!!! We took a 2 hour nap first, after they finished cleaning our room. We had asked for an early check-in and our flight arrived an hour earlier than expected. It took us only about 10 minutes to walk to the hotel with our luggage from the Piazzo Roma, where the airport bus left us off, the airport bus took only about 15 minutes and cost us only 2 EURO, best deal in town!!! Why pay more? We had to cross two bridges, and my husband lugged my luggage up the stairs and then it was easy to take my luggage down the stairs after my husband showed me how best to do it, just bumping it lightly down the stairs in front of me. Some aggressive Italians tried grabbing the luggage out of my hands to "help" me (hoping to get money from us, or just to be helpful), but they made it harder and once the luggage dropped from my hands when a man tried to help me lift it. It was easiest when my husband and I did it ourselves. A nice man from South Africa helped take my husband's suit case down the stairs at one point. It was not a bad trip walking from Piazzo Roma to Antique Figure, even with two suitcases each. Our room was so comfortable, the bed mattress was firm the way I like it. The bathroom had a hanging heater for our towels, which made our towels warm, it is a great invention, we should have them in the U.S., so efficient for heating the bathroom with the added benefit of warming our towels. I washed my long johns in the sink and laid them over the hanging bathroom heater, and they dried in less than 10 minutes!!! We had an excellent breakfast at Antique Figure, which included Kiwis, fruit yogurt, cheeses, cereal, hard boiled eggs, orange juice and snack cakes which I took for later, for an afternoon snack. I would warn travelers planning to take a "free" water taxi to the Ducaly Show Room on the Murano Island, the water taxi ride was fun and indeed free, set up by our hotel, who had a contract with the water taxi service, but when my husband made an emotional purchase of some expensive glasses at the show room and wanted to cancel his purchase less than 2 days after signing the purchase order contract, which said no cancellations (we did not notice this and the salesman did not point out the no cancellation clause before my husband signed), the Ducaly Show Room refused to cancel, and there is no law in Italy allowing purchasers three days to cancel if they change their mind like there is in the USA, and salesman did tell us that in Italy there was no consumer protection law like in the USA and that was why salesman did not work on commission as it would make them too aggressive. The salesman was not aggressive, but we could not cancel the contract, so just make sure if making a purchase that you really want the glass items. They are beautifully made by very expensive. Our staff tried to help us get a discount or cancellation after the sale but the Show Room did not agree to cancel or to give a discount. We posed with staff Alessandro, Francesca and Anka on the final day of our stay. We visited the Science Museum the final day while keeping out luggage in the ground floor luggage room since we had already checked out of our room, the staff was so very helpful to us at every turn, the friendly atmosphere of the Antique Figure truly made it a home away from home for us, and we would definitely stay there again if ever in Venice in the future. I sure hope we come again, but hopefully it will be warmer next time, as what a difference it made in just 9 days, when we arrived back at Antique Figure after our cruise for an additional 4 day stay in Venice it was snowing and in the low 20's, and with the wind chill, it felt like less than 0 degrees. Our guide Hilaria told us that she had not seen cold weather like this in 30 years. We met some nice girls from Brazil our final day at Antique Figure who were headed to Rome (a three hour train ride they told us), and Rome was covered in snow at that point, the girls from Brazil told us that they had never seen snow before so I bet they loved Rome in the snow!!! Thanks Antique Figure for the most wonderful time in Venice!!!! We visited the Jewish Ghetto while in Venice, had a tour of 3 old and well preserved synagogues and toured the museum there too. I highly recommend this as a very interesting visit. We did not enjoy the Ducaly Palace in Piazzo San Marcos, the palace was not heated and it was freezing cold inside. We later visited another palace, Ca' Rezzonico, which was furnished and heated, and also contained an amazing collection of art work, we enjoyed that palace much more than the Ducaly Palace, because Ca' Rezzonico was furnished you could more imagine what life was like back then -- than in the Ducaly Palace which did not contain furnishings. We enjoyed a very tasty lentil soup which the Italians call in English "Cereal," which cost us 9 EURO. We ate twice at a very good restaurant that served excellent Lasagna and vegetable soup, each entry was around 7.5 EURO, not cheap but more reasonable than other restaurants. This restaurant was called Magdalena or something like that, and it was pet friendly, they had small dogs sitting right on the chairs at the tables.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 4th floor, it was very nice, the view was above the neighboring roofs, so you w...
2 Thank Deborah S
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Perfect place if you are taking a cruise, or just visting.

The hotel is so lovely, charming, clean and helpful! We paid a couple of extra euro to move to the front of the hotel so we had views of the Grand Canal. It was perfect!

1.It is right on the grand canal right across from the train station and the water bus stop so you can get ANYWHERE easily.
2. It is two small bridges from Piazzale Roma which is where you can take the bus from the airport for only a couple of euros. Once you get off the bus, head towards the Grand Canal. Do NOT take the large glass bridge over the canal, turn right and go over two small bridges. The hotel is right before the bridge you would take to cross the Grand Canal to get to the train station or water buses.
3. To get to your cruse ship, depending on where it is docked, you can go back to the Piazzle Roma and use the people mover or use the water bus to drop you off at the dock. We used the bus as our ship was not docked where most of the larger ships are placed.

I booked this hotel because of trip advisor's reviews and it was not wrong! My travel agent wanted to book me somewhere else and the price was going to be twice as much. She also wanted to get us transportation from the airport and also to the cruise ship. If we had gone with her, the transportation alone was going to cost us (family of 4) about $700. You do not need any private transportation. The bus from the airport and the regular bus service is convenient and perfect.
The front desk people are so helpful and speak beautiful English. I called them directly to find out about transportation, they told me everything I needed to know.
Can't say enough good things about this hotel and the staff.

Room Tip: upgrade to the front for the view!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank CatherineChicago_IL
Monroe Township, NJ
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I'm looking forward to a return visit to the Antiche Figure. I totally enjoyed this hotel last year--the owners, Francesca and spouse, the servers at breakfast and the bartender were so, so, accommodating. I hope to renew my experiences there.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo