All reviewswasher dryersuperior apartmentwater taxirialto bridgefull kitchenliving roomlarge bedroompull out couchpiazza san marcogondoliers singingtucked awaygondolas passingminute walkwatch the gondolasperfect locationtop floorsmall canal
Reviewed April 12, 2008

This wonderful hotel added to our enjoyment of this beautiful city. Donatella and her brother Guido are charming and helpful, we felt very well cared for over our 3 night stay. The apartment was modern and yet the decor carried the character of the city. We could see a small canal out the windows, which had wooden shutters. We had a breakfast brought up to our room one morning and I regret not snapping a photo of the presentation before we dove into the variety of breads, yogurts, cheeses, fresh fruit, jams,etc., it was lovely. The bathroom was very large and well appointed, and we enjoyed the nice touch of complimentary slippers. I do not have one negative comment. Excellent on all counts.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank TxBeech
Reviewed April 6, 2008

My wife and I arrived at the Residence Corte Grimani for a quick stay on April 2, leaving for Florence on April 6. In most regards, I cannot say enough about the hotel. For the general overview, I'll start with the fact that we were in a superior room overlooking the canal. This room was superb, especially when you consider that much smaller, worn rooms could easily have cost us double. The room was large, well-appointed and clean. All in all, a very nice place.

Now for the particulars of what made it nice (and, as my boss might say, some opportunities for improvement.:)

Pro:
Location: Right in the center of the San Marco district, 5 minutes or less from St Mark's Square. Everything is at your fingertips and, if you get lost, you can bear in on St Mark's Square to find your hotel quickly. Likewise, the vapporeto stops are close by. (Incidentally, and no surprise for those on TripAdvisor, I would recommend eating at Taverno San Trovaso over in Dorsoduro - a 15 minute walk but nice).

Ambience: It is an incredibly romantic hotel in an incredibly romantic city. Our room opened up right over the Rio dei Fusera (sp?) with views to the Camponile in St Mark's Square. It is done right.

Room: A very sizeable room for the rate ($300 euro/night). This sounds like a lot (and it is), but when looking for a decent hotel in Venice, this is a steal and a half. Venice (the proper Venice, not the outlying areas like Lido or - shudder - Mestre) is expensive, and I mean London/Moscow/Tokyo expensive. To get a suite for $300 puts this in the grand larceny phase.

The staff: Very friendly and helpful.

Cons:
Okay, I'm a tough grader and I don't throw 5 stars around. Here's why Corte Grimani fell short.

Room: Well, the room was nice and all, but there are areas for concern. The bed was two hard twins pushed together with a thin duvet on top (again, not irregular for Europe, but not deserving 5 stars).
Laundry: For 10 euro, you an open up the washer/dryer. A nice touch - a nicer one if it worked well. One of the major problems is that we had things that were hang-to-dry. Unfortunately it is combination washer/dryer in that you start the cycle and it goes all the way through - there is no way to stop it. If you do not let it go through the dry cycle (even after requesting no dry cycle), it will not unlock. The front desk was less than helpful, in that they did not really understand how to use it. We worked it out, but it took a large part of our last evening.
The staff: They're in the positive as well, but at some times, the language barrier kept us from really getting what we wanted - like good restaurant recommendations. A minor ding, and likely to happen in many fine places.

All in all, a very nice place. This was for a romantic trip, but I would whole-heartedly recommend for families. In fact, I can see large families renting out an entire floor.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank whjSeattle
Reviewed April 2, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel back in December for a romantic weekend, actually he surprised me with the trip and booked this hotel because it was number one on Trip Advisor!

It thoroughly desrves it's number one ranking (how can this be rated as a two star?? It should be four stars!), superb value for money, the location is second to none, right in the centre of Venice but hidden away in a quiet corner which admittedly was a bit too hidden away when we were trying to find it, even a local Venetian who took it upon himself to help us find it didn't know of it's existence!! Very close to St. Mark's square and not far from the Rialto bridge.

The staff checked us in and showed us to our apartment very quickly. Throughout our stay they were all friendly and willing to help in any way in which they could. We were stuck for somewhere to have dinner on our last night and they recommended the excellent Bar Centrale which was very swish and sophisticated, sumptuous food, a low-key relaxed atmosphere and somewhere the well heeled in Venice frequent!

The apartment itself was massive! The open plan kitchen living area felt spacious and had enough room for a large sofa and table and chairs without feeling crammed in. The entire apartment was spotlessly clean and neutrally decorated. The bathroom was huge with plenty of toiletries supplied, slippers and even a washing machine! Again the bedroom was large on scale with a king sized bed and plenty of wardrobe and drawer space with a view out onto the canal.

We never got up in time for breakfast but I'm sure it was delicious, instead we went to one of the cafe's nearby and had hot chocolate and croissants!

Just one thing to note, there is a particularly putrid smell at all time in reception from the nearby canals/ drains but once you get in the lift the air is somewhat sweeter smelling.

I would definately go back so if you are thinking of booking, just do it!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank glitterjunkie
Reviewed March 23, 2008

This is a very good place to stay indeed. We had a two bedroom classic apartment on the second floor. It was absolutely spotless - and I mean spotless (not even a hint of mould, dust, stains or marks on anything) - it was in tip top condition and was very stylish - gold and cream everywhere. It felt like somewhere we should be paying twice the price to stay in. They provided lovely towels, bath gels, manicure sets and carpet slippers to pad about in. It cost us 140 euro per night as we had a cash deal. Our child stayed free.

There are a few things that stop me giving this place five stars (and I'm probably being a bit picky here but I think it is useful for people to know these things): the smell of the canal wafting into the reception and also up the stairwells (that's probably why they had beautiful air fresheners in our room), the thinness of the walls (we could hear next door having a heated discussion and then the next night getting amorous at 1 am!) and the incidental things that they did/didn't do, like wanting to charge a supplement for setting the single bed up instead of the sofa bed that was set up for our son in the dining area, not having a tv in our bedroom despite the floor plan showing that we should have one and teatowels to dry the cups and saucers with (there was no charge to make hot drinks). I would suggest that if you have a child and want to watch tv in the evening ask if they can set the single bed up in the second bedroom before you arrive instead of the sofa bed at no extra cost. English speaking tv was limited to CNN - but they have so many nationalities to cater for I can't expect BBC everywhere I go!

The staff were so friendly and helpful, the location was brilliant - we walked everywhere even with a 5 year old in tow. We didn't take breakfast in the hotel but if you are prepared to eat on the hoof at one of the many cafes or bars then you can breakfast much more cheaply. If you stand at the counter it's cheaper than sitting at a table.

Try San Polo for eating and visiting - slightly cheaper than the central area, much less frenetic with less tourists and a more 'authentic' italian feel. You can walk it from the residence in about 20 mins via the Accademia bridge. Be careful of the trattoria Antica Capon in the Campo Sant Margarita! Very friendly front of house/head waiter and when we walked in they guided us to an outside table and then charged us 4.25 euros for a capuccino. We didn't get a receipt which you are supposed to get in Italy otherwise you/the owner can be fined. We'll know better next time. Nice little cafe opposite tho' on the bend in the same square who only charged us 1.60 euros for a cappuccino.

We got the water bus from the airport to San Marco, cost 24 euro for both adults and it took over an hour. On the way back we walked from the hotel to Piazzale Roma and got the express bus to the airport. Took 30 mins to walk (really scenic too) and only 15 mins on the bus - cost us 6 euro in total.

Despite the little niggles that stopped it being absolutely perfect, I would highly recommend the Corte Grimani as fantastic value for money.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Karen D
Reviewed March 20, 2008

Selected this hotel based on the previous Trip Advisor reports. It is hard to fault any aspect of our stay. We were 2 couples and had 2 of the larger apartments with views of the canal. Rooms were very spacious, exceptionally clean and the large beds very comfortable.

Heating was responsive and toiletries of a good standard.

We ate breakfast there on each of the 3 days - a good quality continental style buffet with good supply of fresh fruit.

The reception staff were helpful.

The hotel is very well located just a few minutes walk from St Mark's Square where you can board a waterbus to most areas.

Barry Jones