“Clean, centrally-Located, but not a whole lot of charm”
Review of Ai Tagliapietra

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Venice
Ai Tagliapietra
Ranked #56 of 476 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed here in November 2011 and had a good time. The location is wonderful, the price was fair and the breakfast was tasty. Lorenzo was helpful, albeit stiff compared to some of the other b&b owners we encountered on our trips through Italy. My boyfriend laughingly and ironically refers to Lorenzo as "Mr. Charm." He was nice, but kind of awkward. My only small suggestions:

Lorenzo RUSHED to the b&b when he picked us up at the vaparetto stop. I could barely keep up or get ahold of my bearings with how quickly he marched us to the b&b through the twisting streets. I was lugging a huge suitcase as well, and it was a stressful journey. Wish he would have been slower so we could catch our breath and let our brains soak in the layout. I didn't expect him to carry my ridiculous suitcase, and wouldn't have let him, however I was surprised he didn't even offer.

The rooms could be a little brighter with some stand-alone lamps. The overhead lighting was very dim and yellowish, and it was not pleasant. The room itself is bare, clean, and decent.

We had an AWFUL experience on the first night though and I caution others. It was very rainy and very late, and we could not find the door to the B&B for the life of us. It took us 2 hours in the rain to find the place again, even though we were in the right area and literally steps away from it. The problem was that the place does not have a sign on it (at least a visible one), and we walked past it at least 10 times before stopping a lady, who graciously let us call Lorenzo to come out and find us. If we didn't take his business card, we literally would have slept outside in a puddle. We are college-educated, and self-reliant travelers and we're pretty good at navigating around cities, but this was ridiculous. I don't blame Lorenzo for this at all, but it would help to have a light or a distinguishable sign on the door. We were so desperate that at one point we were just putting the keys in random doors, hoping it would work.... o_0

You can't beat the location however and while I wouldn't stay here again, I would recommend to a friend.

On another note: Traveling to Venice in the winter is definitely eerie and I imagine, a very different experience than if you go during spring or summer. It felt isolated, abandoned, lifeless, especially at night when the throngs of tourists leave and you realize the city has very few inhabitants. At some points while walking around at night, we felt like we were in an apocalyptic Twilight Zone zombie movie. Venice, in our well-traveled eyes, is not the gem it must have been centuries ago. It was actually rather sad.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danielle O

Reviewed 8 May 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our 2 nights in Venice and our stay at Lorenzo's B&B played a big part. Located in San Zaccaria, it was a mere 5 minutes away from San Marco's Square and a short distance from the San Zaccaria water taxi station for our rides to and from the train station. Lorenzo picked us up at the station at 10 in the morning, and during check-in gave us lots of useful information on how to best make use of our limited time in the beautiful city. The room itself was not big but adequate for the both of us, decorated in warm orange tones with a comfortable bed. The bathroom was new and scrupulously clean. Our bedroom opened up to a small alley where you could sometimes hear people walking past, but Venice is in general a very quiet place. Breakfast was simple, just some pastries, orange juice and coffee but that was what we came to expect while traveling in Italy.
At 100E for a couple, it was good value in Venice particularly after throwing in the intangibles such as Lorenzo's help in booking restaurants and the bookcase of travel guides at our disposal. We would definitely recommend the B&B to other travelers.

3  Thank lafemmemange
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Lorenzo was a most helpful host, making us feel at home from the moment he picked us up till our departure. His gentle nature and helpful tips were appreciated at breakfast time as he served us juice, coffee and pastries each morning. Our room was large and very comfortable, and the bathroom was also more than ample. The guidebooks available in the common room were a great resource as we were able to borrow them throughout the day. The location was excellent. We felt really fortunate to have spent our time in Venice here - outstanding value.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

I forgot to review this one during our 2011 travels, so here goes.
The host, whose name escapes me, was a gem. Met us at the water taxi stop, and walked us to his place. Luckily too, because we wouldn't have found it, even with a map.
Rooms are smallish, but big enough, with reasonable showers.
The common area (breakfast, etc) is right outside some of the rooms, ours included, but presented no problems.
Host (Lorenzo??) was extremely helpful, making queue-jumping bookings for us and others. This B&B is so central, and the nearby eateries are excellent.
Overall...very, very good. Make that excellent.

Room Tip: You could ask to be away from the kitchen, but it's not an issue really.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

A perfect B&B experience. From the first email exchange, to being greeted at the San Zaccaria water ferry stop at 0800 (after an all night train ride from Munich), Lorenzo went out of his way to ensure we had a wonderful time in Venice. Dont pass on his dining recommendation - we thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant directly across the street.

We highly recommend the B&B; great service and location. You won't go wrong.

2  Thank NHMBCM
Reviewed 20 April 2012

There is very little I can add to previous reviews, except to say that Lorenzo deserves each and every one of them. From my first enquiry to my day of departure, he could not have been more helpful. As other reviewers have mentioned, you don't have to worry about finding the B&B; Lorenzo will meet you at San Zaccaria and take you there himself. When we got there, he told me that as I was a single occupant, the room rate was 65 euros, rather than the 100 euros I expected to pay. I was grateful for that and impressed, as there are plenty of people who would not have been as honest. He took the time to mark out routes on a map for me, as well as the location of restaurants that he recommended. Then he checked on what I preferred for breakfast; coffee or tea and when I said that I didn't actually drink either, he offered me hot chocolate instead. He also checked that had an adaptor with me.

I had the room straight across from the entrance, and it was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. I could hear people talking and, on one occasion, singing in the street outside and while this actually appealed to me, it might be a problem for others. However, I can honestly say that it's nothing a pair of earplugs won't solve, as that's what I did when I wanted to go to sleep and I didn't hear a thing. The location of the B&B is fantastic; you're so close to St Mark's Square and the Rialto Bridge but you wouldn't know it. The area is mostly very quiet.

All in all, you couldn't ask for a better place to stay in Venice, nor a better host than Lorenzo. Staying at Ai Tagliapietra allowed me to experience Venice exactly how I wanted to experience it, and I'm already making plans to come back.

Grazie mille Lorenzo. :)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Lynsey C
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed at the B&B for 3 nights and found it to be a wonderful experience. Lorenzo was really warm - he met us right on time from where our water ferry took us and was really helpful with directions and insights. The B&B is in a central location with many fine restaurants all around it. I really miss Venice!!!

The room and bathroom were nice and clean. I would highly recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family