“Perfect Position walking distance to City Centre” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Porta Palio

Hotel Porta Palio
Ranked #41 of 79 Hotels in Verona
Fossano, Italy
“Perfect Position walking distance to City Centre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Hotel was very good. Position was excellent, right outside the city centre. When you arrive from the highroad you gor straight on 7km then turn right after few minutes you see the hotel. For getting to city centre it takes about 20 minutes to Arena, about 10 minutes and you are already in the city. In the attached resturant there are good agreed prices. With 11 Euros you have a complete Pizza meal but remember to advice the waiter at the beginning and respect the meal agreed. Owner will make everything possible to charge you with regular prices. Hotel treat you very well, ask a room in the backyard. Obviously you are inside the city of Verona, Room is not noisy but neither completely silent.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Korean first
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

My husband and I had gotten lost getting to the hotel and wandered around with heavy backpacks for almost an hour so we arrived exhausted and in need of time to relax. We checked in to the hotel at 4 and went up to our room, I had asked for non-smoking, and the floor didn't smell like smoke but once we went in our room it had a weird chemical smell that immediately gave me a headache. We opened the window and hoped the smell was just air freshner or something.

After 20 minutes(it was now 4:20) I couldn't stand it and was starting to feel really sick so I went down to the front desk to ask for a room change. The lady at the desk rudely told me that there was so cleaning staff and we should have come down right away because she had no other rooms and it was completely full and now our room was used since we had been in it for an hour. I told her we hadn't touched anything and had only opened the window. Then she asked if it smelled like smoke. I said no, it was something else. So she finally found us another room and we went up to the 3rd floor to look at it. I noticed on the third floor all of the rooms had little 'no smoking' stickers, so we had obviously been put on a smoking floor. But the 3rd floor smelled like smoke and the room was small and no nicer than the one we already had, so we stuck with the original room.

Verona was lovely and we headed out for dinner and the evening. It is at least a 20 minute walk to the cute downtown touristy part. We don't mind walking, but this was not a nice walk, it was along busy streets and hot without shade. Verona was perfect and I loved it.

When we got back the man who was at the front desk rudely asked us our room number and told us we were never to take the key out with us, almost to the point of yelling. It had never been mentioned to us not to take the key, and he was not nice about it.

On the way back to the hotel we noticed that there was an underground parking garage right where our room was, so I think that it must be poorly ventilated because during the night the smell disappated but came back in the morning when cars started going in and out. Unfortunately we realized we were absolutely on a smoking floor because all night every time our neighbours lit a cigarette we could smell the smoke. The rooms are also very noisy, you could hear people coughing and toilets flushing.

The breakfast was okay, nothing special. No clean plates, and the tables weren't kept very clean either. We had checked ahead of time that we could leave our bags during the day, but there was no special spot for them they just had to be left in a phone booth!?!?

Wireless was not free, but I paid 1EUR for 30 minutes and it worked well in our room.

I usually love a good deal on a hotel, but this time it would have been worth it to pay more to be closer to the centre of Verona, and not on a busy road. This was the worst experience we had in the 3 weeks we spent travelling Italy, with all of the hotels in about the same price range (this one actually being one of the more expensive places we stayed).

Room Tip: Avoid room 107 and make sure you are put on a non-smoking floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Verona hotels

goteborg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

It's quite a walk from the central station and the hotel is situated besides a 4-lane motorway. Ridiculous traffic situation in some parts of Italy. Rooms are basic with uninspiring view, even though a small river flows by rapidly. Staff is very helpful, but gave us sponsored replies on what restaurant to choose. After pressing for other alternatives the clerk more sweepingly suggested something on the hill viewing over the old city center.
Nothing special with this hotel, but you'll get your nights rest. The breakfast is actually very good and breakfast staff keeps the buffet filled. Internet use is not free.

Room Tip: Traffic is intense so make sure your window faces rear side.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Port Republic, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Freedom Treks booked this room for my husband and me as a part of a seven day bike tour of Italy, The staff was friendly and helpful. Our luggage was waiting for us when we arrived, and the pleasant desk clerk showed us where to stow our bikes. The room was clean and relatively spacious. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was very clean. The breakfast was filling, but just average. The coffee was fine. We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Porta Palio.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Grass Valley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

The outside of the building is cute and the room was a good size. That's all the good things I can write. Two of the Staff people were quite unhelpful, one of them downright surly. The breakfast, included in the per-night price, was barely adequate (low quality items) and the coffee was HORRID! (They're happy to provide unlimited, free coffee for breakfast but all the coffee varieties are brewed in a vending-style machine - just push the button of your choice. Caffe Americano is not supposed to have 0.5cm of foam on top!) The shower was okay for me because I'm a small person but it would not accommodate a larger person - it's really very small. There were some loud, probably drunk people walking down the hallway at 2:30AM. And the food in the adjacent restaurant did not sit well on my stomach. I definitely would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Japax, Proprietario at Hotel Porta Palio, responded to this review, 5 August 2011
Dear Guest,

you complain about the breakfast,, well... almost all our guest find it very good, much more than what they expected from a 3 star budget hotel
You complain about our restaurant because the food 'did not sit well on your stomach', well... maybe it is because you are not used to the italian cooking
You complain about the shower that is too small, well... it is for normal people!! I'm 190cm and i have no problem at all to use it.
De gustibus non est dispuntandum, but... maybe you have not the right expectations about our 3 star budget hotel, or maybe the holiday is not as it should have gone for you
About drunk people in the street, I think you can find everywhere. I was in London and in the Us and I've seen so much more drunk people that here in Italy at night.
About the unpolite staff, maybe they were tired about all of your complaints, because usually our guest make compliments before leaving!
Prague, Czech Republic
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

For me it was the worst "100 Euro per night" hotel. The room was very dirty with molds in the bathroom, all around the shower. It was really disgusting to take a shower there. And the room smelled like molds as well. It was also quite far from the centre (not really a walking distance, even, if we walk a lot). I would never go there again.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Japax, Proprietario at Hotel Porta Palio, responded to this review, 20 July 2011
Dear Guest,

you stay here (maybe, but I have serious doubts) at August 2010 and you write now your review??? There are no traces of molds in all our Hotel, I'm sure that you have done a big mistake.
And no one of our guests complain about cleanliness of the rooms and the bathrooms.
Rather, they compliment!
This review is very very suspect.
Germantown, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

unless you have a car - I wouldn't recommend this. The entire hotel needs some serious updating and although it was a budget hotel - I wouldn't recommend it or ever stay here again. Wifi didn't work, had to take a taxi everywhere, breakfast was just OK - had much better and the staff was not overly helpful. Look elsewhere if going to Verona.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Japax, Proprietario at Hotel Porta Palio, responded to this review, 30 June 2011
Dear Guest,

I can't understand guests that complain about the location of the Hotel: when you've done the reservation haven't you seen where the Hotel was located? If you preferred an Hotel at a few steps from the Arena why haven't you booked one of those? There are several! I can tell you why: because of the price, my friend!
About the wi-fi that didn't work, I'm sorry, but the system was broken due to circumstances beyond our control and we were waiting for a spare part.
About the Hotel that needs updating, I can tell you that every year the hotel is the subject of careful renovation and maintenance.
But the question is always the same: if you want to pay a little (as you notice we are a budget Hotel) you can not expect the services and treatment of 5 stars.
When a guest comes to us with the correct expectations can only go away satisfied.
Thank you very much.