All reviews retractable roof stock exchange within walking distance fitness center san francesco inner courtyard lovely hotel large hotel our room was spacious tour group breakfast buffet is great position historic palermo beautiful building main sites four star hotel loved this hotel
Reviewed September 23, 2015

The hotel is in a beautiful building which was an old bank. It is located centrally just off Via Roma. The decor throughout is classy & many of the old bank features are still there including the bank vaults. The dining room is in a wood panelled room which use to be where the tellers were located.

As I was traveling as a single, the room I was given was very small (New York City style) but with nice views of the hotel courtyard. It was quite comfortable with a good size bed and with a good size bathroom. If you travel solo you may find it better to pay for a double room.

Breakfast in the morning is a bit of a shambles although the food is tasty. The restaurant doesn't open till 7;30am and with many tour groups at the hotel there is a rush first thing. Where the buffet is set up, it is in a room too small for all the people staying at the hotel although the dining area is quite large. Best to wait till after 8am when the crowds are done.

All up the hotel has a couple of weaknesses but still a nice place to stay. And a tip - there is a great gelato store on the next block from the hotel entrance!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank ozallan
Reviewed September 23, 2015

This is a good hotel which I suspect meets the standard demanded by the average well off person expecting the finer things of life.
It is difficult to be critical of that in quality spacious rooms great breakfast impressive building.
Those of us a bit more basic in style can find it all a bit much - my problem not the hotels!

Stayed: September 2015
Reviewed September 13, 2015

This is a true 4-star hotel by international standards. Our foursome started at another 4-star rated hotel in Palermo, which had a substantial number of highly favorable reviews (300+) on tripadvisor as well as another prominent online booking site, and of course, had appealing photos, rates and location, all of which led me to book there. However, it turned out to be quite shabby and subpar for the rating level. So we searched out something better and found the Grand Hotel Piazza Borsa, which more than surpassed our expectations. The hotel is stately with spacious and well-appointed rooms. The staff is professional and helpful. There is a fitness room and spa facilities, which are unusual for Palermo hotels. The breakfast buffet is fresh and well-stocked, but typical fare for region. You will do better than to dine at the hotel restaurant, which is somewhat dreary with an uninteresting menu, but it will suffice in the event of inclement weather. All told, this is most likely the best value in Palermo--we paid about $200/night (incl breakfast) during peak season. It's doubtful a 5-star hotel would offer substantially higher overall quality, just a lot more $$ per night.

Room Tip: Some rooms have small balconies
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Tina H
Reviewed August 28, 2015 via mobile

I booked various rooms in this hotel during my vacations with friends (I also travelled with my family) in Sicily based in a TripAdvisor info. With more research we found a better hotel in every sense, I booked it and canceled in time the Hotel Piazza Borsa.
While we were in Syracuse I received a letter from the Grand Hotel Piazza Borsa saying they charged me 871€ to my credit card provided to do the booking, for "no show".
Immediately I called the hotel addressing my cancellation. The manager told me that they didn't have such information from BOOKING.COM. I sent them the emails were the cancellation was made properly, they still blaming BOOKING.COM for the misunderstanding. Then wrote me a letter saying that after studying the facts they would proceed with the reimbursement. I requested to do the process as soon as possible for obvious reasons, at the same time I asked the refund to made to the same credit card they made the charged.
After a month! with back and forward emails they said that they finally made the refund but it doesn't it show yet in my records and also they didn't sent me any reference proven that such reimbursement have been made.
What have happened doesn't support any other comment. Don't do business with this hotel at the same time take good care before you do any business with BOOKING.COM which I have been using in it several times with my trips but with this incident there is a lack of management because I have had wrote them three times without receiving any answer. Shame on them.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Fcercare
mario m, Direttore at Grand Hotel Piazza Borsa, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2015

The person who is writing, who never stayed at the Grand Hotel Piazza Borsa, continues to shift rancour on an this matter that was already clarified and which we tought it didn’t need any further words.
After some clarifying mail, we have written to the guest on Thursday August 27th 2015 at 13.03:
“Dear Sir,
in cases of reimbursement made for various reasons, Our Company offers always first, the bank transfer.
Because, in this way we are able to monitor the entire operation.
This is the procedure we followed, and it is the reason we wrote you on August 3rd; asking bank details.
On August 20th, once we realized that you have not answered us, I wrote you from my personal mail account, supposing that you have not got our previous mail, as it happened in fact.
You asked us to refund by credit card, and so we did, the moment that the colleague of my Company has got all the paper, and received the approval of my Chairman’s company, a couple of days later.
Never had any doubts about the mutual good faith, as so we hope you have,
All the best,
Mario Monforte. Mng.”.
Our missed guest insists in the reserch of our inefficiencies and wrote again on Thursday August 27th 2015 at 3.51:
“Hello,
it’s not true what you have said. From the day one you had my credit card details, wich was the way you charged me without any reason or legal support because I canncelled my reservation in the proper way and time. And by the way, I never received any email from you to answer or, do you think that I wanted to wait one mont for this refund? Thanks.”.
We still found the patience of answering with our mail on Friday August 28th 2015 at 10.41:
“We were already apologized for the mistake. And as soon as we detected it, we repaid.
It saddens us that you not take into account of this fact.
These kind of mistakes, are part of a series of 0.2% per year. We were able to reduce them but not to overthrow it altogether. This can not be repaired by us…
I wish you had a good day,
Mario Monforte, Mng.”.
But, as we see, this wasn’t enough for the complaining gentleman.

Reviewed August 24, 2015

Hotel is clean and is as advertised by the photos. You need to know that you will pay about $18 per day for the parking though.

We really had a bad experience from the restaurant, however. We had to have dinner there because we arrived late at the hotel. Here is our experience. First of all, as stated by previous reviewers, the waiters are a bit sinister. As for the food, we found a big black hair in the very dry breadsticks, and the plate of fish I ordered was... really fishy. It was smelling so bad that I could not eat it, being afraid of getting sick.

The morning after, we went for the breakfast. The pastries were very dry and the fruits were too old. In the end, we ended up having toasts with nutella, as it was the only thing edible. The fruit juice was straight Kool aid and, as stated by other reviewers, the coffee was absolutely terrible.

My advice: enjoy the hotel as it is really nice and the staff is helpful. Stay away, however, from the restaurant. Go to restaurants outside for dinner (be careful however, there are many tourist traps in Palermo) and have your breakfast from a bakery.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple