“Little things add up”

Jolly Aretusa Palace Hotel
Ranked #68 of 75 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed 30 September 2011

On first sight we were pleasantly surprised by our room, but the place was let down by several annoying, if minor defects. The worst of these was that the tap in the wash basin was installed too near the wall, so that the plunger for the plug could not be fully raised and the plug not fully fitted. This was also the case in at least one other room. Then the shower was positioned relative to the shower screen in such a way that it was impossbile to shower without soaking the floor. Other irritations included one light bulb not working and a lack of tissues in the dispenser.

We were in a party and had fairly basic and unexciting food at dinner, but the breakfasts were fine. Our last dinner was nearly ruined by a waiter straight out of Fawlty Towers, whose antics caused a delay of about half an hour in our being served.

Having said all that, the hotel is well positioned for the archaeological sites and okay for a gentle stroll down to Ortigia. It is clean and the common areas are modern, if rather uninviting.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 September 2011

good position
friendly reception
standard breakfast

ottima posizione
accettazione amichevole
stanze larghe ma un po datate
ottima qualita prezzo

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2010

This hotel is very recommended especially if you arrive the city by car. It is in the modern part of the city, but within walking distance from the charming old town. Service is friendly and rooms spacious.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2008

stayed three nights in what would here be called a junior suite. the room was large, yes large, with a sitting area containing a full size couch, two chairs and a table in addition to our twin size beds. There was a large balcony with two chairs as well. The view was not impressive however it was fine for people watching. As breakfast was included, we encountered very personal dining staff who brought me my cappacino each morning - no extra charge.One server, Marina, was especially delightful. Of the four hotels we stayed in during our two week trip this was definitely the best.

• Stayed: March 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 14 January 2007

There is was one good thing about this hotel: the bathroom. Shower pressure was fantastic and the bathroom was not cramped.

When our car pulled up, we were confronted with a steep flight of steps to get even into the lobby. And the hotel had no one out front to offer assistance. The lobby looked nice enough as we checked in. However, our room was on the top floor of the hotel and the elevator stops two floors short of the top! From the elevator, we had to climb two flights of metal steps to our floor!

The hallways were covered in worn orange carpet. The room decor can only be described as "1970s modern". The room was clean, but had very strange built in furniture and the walls were covered with something that looked like a cross between burlap and carpet to about 4' up the wall.

On our first evening I stepped in something unpleasant on the sidewalk and wound up getting it on the cuff of my pants. I placed my pants in the plastic laundry bag in our room as per the directions on the bag and placed the it on the floor outside our room that night. The next morning when we left the room, my pants were still there. So, I left the bag on the floor inside the door, where I figured housekeeping would be sure to see it. When we got back to our room that night, the room was straightened, but the laundry bag was unmoved. Figuring that I would just have to have my pants washed in our next hotel, I threw the bag in the bottom of the closet. Two mornings later, as we were packing for our departure to the next town, I noticed that my pants were gone. Frantically I went down to the front desk to inquire if they had been laundered. After a few minutes, the manager told me they had been taken the day before to be washed. I explained that we had a train to catch in an hour and I needed them back right away. She said she would have them brought to us. 20 minutes later we decided to stop pacing our room and start pacing the front desk. A woman arrived with my pants in a plastic bag about 10 minutes later. They were clean, but wet. It seemed like maybe they tried to quick wash them after I asked to have them back. The worst part was, they charged us for the laundry on our room bill (it was expensive, along the lines of 10 euros, I think), but by then we were running so late we didn't have time to argue!

The location was probably about halfway between the archeological park and museum in Syracuse and Ortygia, about a 15 to 20 minute walk to each. As we are walkers, this was not a problem.

If we ever make it back to the Syracuse area, however, we would pass on Jolly and stay in one of the wonderful looking b&bs on Ortygia.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank DestWed
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed 6 June 2004

This hotel is incredibly overpriced, with the services you would expect from a one or two star hotel. Front desk staff were disinterested at best. There was one bath towel in the bathroom ( for $200/night ), and it took 45 minutes and a trip to the front desk to get another. I was reprimanded for going to my room by a commercial photographer who was apparently given free reign in the hotel. I was assured of internet access and later shown to a completely inoperabe computer. The front desk was unable to give me a map of the city. Yes, there are not many good hotels in this city; but there are alternatives which are more than acceptable and in which you won't feel incredibly ripped off.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 May 2003

The Jolly is your typical chain-style hotel, which may not seem like much to recommend it - however, after staying in unairconditioned pensione with tiny bathrooms and no CNN for a week or so, it was just the little splurge we needed to regain our strength. It actually wasn't even much of a splurge - make sure you inquire about weekend specials. We were able to stay at the Jolly for half price because they were empty on the weekend.Rooms are well furnished and ours was huge, with a very large bathroom/tub as well. It was nice to take a relaxing bath and catch up on the news, especially since the heat in Sicily can be taxing. The hotel is a 20-min walk from Ortygia and is on a safe major shopping street. I actually preferred staying here to Ortygia as you are also just a short walk from the archeological park/museum with the famous amphitheater. It's also only a 15-20 minute walk to the train station, so it is a good location for those without a car. Hotel also has a small bar and a restaurant (breakfast was included with our room).While it's not the Ritz, the Jolly is a respectable chain that will be a welcome relief for people on a modest travel budget.

13  Thank inkwave17