“Unexpectedly lovely lunch ”
Review of Malvasia

Malvasia
Reserve with
Malvasia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 279 Restaurants in Taormina
Price range: US$31 - US$37
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Locale piccolo e riservato, attento ai piatti del territorio e della tradizione siciliana.
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

We were planning to go to tiramisu across the street, which was shut. We tried this place instead and weren't disappointed. My mum was very happy with her minestrone, she was dying to have a decent vegetable-based, low-carb meal after a week in Sicily. I got the mussels ravioli with little shrimps from the specials and absolutely loved it. I liked the house white, but not my mum's prosecco. The staff were not particularly communicative but we got everything we ordered without problems. The prices were ok for Taormina.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,574)

Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

Great linguine with scampi (cream and tomato sauce) and spaghetti vongole - and big portions. The prices are very reasonable too. It's a nice setting and the staff are friendly. Worth a visit, especially if your budget is tight and you are hungry!

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

I looked online and it said they were open until 11:30. We walked up at 10:30, yes 1030 in Italy and they said the kitchen was closing. That was a first here. 10:30 is prime dinner hour in Italy.

Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

Returning from a day trip around 7pm, we decided to eat early, rather than return to our hotel first. We tried Trattoria Tiramisu, but they were fully booked, so we tried Malvasia across the street. The head waiter asked if we had a reservation but found us a table at the edge. He was disdainful and offhand. We thought this was his way, but sat down as we were tired and hungry, but then he proceeded to effusively greet returning customers whilst maintaining his aloof frostiness to us. It was a shame, what had we done? The food was well prepared and flavourful - my linguine alla scampi was excellent as was my wife's food. My sons were less impressed with their pizzas however. Generally the quality of the food, the presentation and the service was very good, but still the head waiter's attitude bothered me, with his bipolar behaviour reminiscent of Basil Fawlty. Maybe it was snobbery - or maybe because my family have a variety of shades of skin? That is alien to us as we are always treated well.
It's a real shame, because otherwise the meal was very good. I'm sure the people he likes will give glowing reviews, but I could not take my family there again. Maybe Sybil should have a word with him?

2  Thank David S
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Very friendly family restaurant with great home made pasta. Good service and choice on the menu. Outdoor seating is quite close to the road compared to some other restaurants in quieter areas