“Fantastic view - shame about the breakfast”
Review of Hotel Villa Angela

Hotel Villa Angela
Ranked #7 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I recently returned from a short stay at the Villa Angela. We had a nice room and the balcony terrace offered fantastic views of Mt Etna and the coast. The staff were friendly and offered us helpful advice on where to eat. However, breakfast on both occasions really let it down terribly - on both days more than 3/4 of the offering had been eaten and not replenshed - coffee had gone and the fruit juice was so watered down it was diabolical. It was a shame as the hotel does have good qualities and this is an area that really did let it down and something that should be addressed quickly!
The restaurant doesn't offer evening meals on a daily basis but we did find two recommended restaurants in Taormina to visit which were excellent. Near Porta Catania is rosso peperoncino - this was our favourite and offered tasty Sicilian food at very reasonable prices and had attentive waiters. The other was Tiramisu at the other end and had great pizzas and Tiramisu!

Room Tip: Upgrade to get a big balcony terrace
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Justin O
toryglen, Manager at Hotel Villa Angela, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

We are delighted that you appreciated your room with terrace and views of Mount Etna and the coast, also the hotel’s friendly staff with helpful advice on where to eat…...it’s just a shame that you did not feel able to talk to us in person about the breakfast! We are however pleased that this is your only criticism of the hotel and would like you to know that we have already taken measures to rectify the situation.

Regarding your room tip, there is no need to upgrade in order to get a big balcony terrace because every room has a terrace spacious enough to accommodate a table with two chairs and two sun-loungers, with a fantastic view of course!

Kind regards
Charlie Galea
Manager Hotel Villa Angela

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Really did enjoy it here. Great views of Etna, lovely tooms with spacious balconies, nice pool. Had the best meal of my life in the restaurant recommended by the hotel, 5 mins walk up the hill towards the steps. The service was very professional , warm and friendly.

Loved going down to Taormina to eat and wander then return to the peace of Villa Angela

Room Tip: I would recommend a higher room, personal preference but liked being four floors up from the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MrsBHeswall
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I stayed in Villa Angela late last year and I was absolutely taken away by the amazing location the hotel was in, complimented by the fantastic hospitality and service I was given during my stay. Anna and Mario were always so helpful on reception, answering all our queries and giving the best recommendations for things to do and places to go and see. The hotel is absolutely stunning, every single piece of detail has been thought through, you really feel like you are experiencing classical Italian ambiance but it a totally luxurious setting. If you are looking for a hotel that is in a great location, with breathtaking views over Tourmina, the coast and Mount Etna, then this is the place to stay. The breakfasts were always tasty and well presented, we always had enough delicacies to choose from, and sat on the outside balcony to have breakfast. The views from the balconies are amazing and what I think me and my friends really miss as it really is idyllic. The hotel staff really looked after us whether we wanted to have a quick cup of coffee and watch the sunset or whether we wanted to go in to down for dinner and drinks. They always took us in the hotel's personal shuttle service, so we were safe and brought back too. The hotel is in great reach of all the amazing sights that you would want to see, so even if you wanted to grab a cab back, you can and it will not cost you much. I will definitely be visiting Tourmina sometime soon, as it was my stay at Villa Angela that made me fall in love with Sicily and I would not want to stay anywhere else. I highly recommend this amazing hotel, as from the minute you arrive...you will never want to leave. A big thank you to all the staff who made me and my friends feel so welcomed and made our holiday so special. We will be back, sometime soon! :)

1  Thank Sharan C
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I stayed at Villa Angela for a week. This was my first trip to Italy and I am so happy that Villa Angela was where I decided to stay.!!This hotel is a great location for all ages, families, couples and if you are looking for a break alone. The idylic setting and fantastic staff really contribute to an amazing time. The hotel decor is very rustic and warm which is reflective in the staff's treatment of guests. You are made to feel like a VIP by all that work there. As it was my first time to Taormina I was really greatful for all the recomendations. I would not hesitate to go back what a fantastic hotel. The shuttle bus that runs frequently is also really handy so you are able to get into town when you need to so you re in close proximity to all the bars, shops and more importantly the beaches. Thanks to all at Villa Angela :)

1  Thank Natasha H
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We can see why Jim Kerr fell in love with Taormina its a beautiful, idyllic place! We were welcomed so well upon our arrival to VA. Anna on Reception answered all of our many questions, always with a smile on her face and gave us an abundance of information, which was vital to our stay. All of the staff were amazing, they looked after us so well and made our stay so special from the maid Sarantina who was a ray of sunshine’ every morning to Mario and Katherine on reception who were always on hand to help us out with directions, dining recommendations and answer our many inquisitive questions. Not forgetting the loveable but tiny Walter, who made our excursions to Porte Messina and Porte Catania exciting and joyous. The room we shared was a fantastic size, ample wardrobe space, loads of sockets for our many phones, ipods and GHD's and beautifully designed in keeping with the theme of the island. The bathroom was well equipped with micro mirrors and great lighting for makeup, and the shower had a fantastic water pressure. There was a huge Terrace with 2 loungers and a dining table and chairs. It overlooked the pool area and had the most breathtaking views of Mount Etna and Taormina town. We had a really memorable week! Watch out Taormina! We’ll be back! Melissa, Natasha & Shaz.

Room Tip: Rooms Facing Mount Etna have splendid views over Taormina
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We have booked yet again to go back to Villa Angela and I must say I can't wait this is our third trip and when looking out at the snow and ice it can't come soon enough, we just love this place nothing is too much trouble and you are chilled from the moment you get there. The views from each and every room are the same which is rather nice looking out over at Etna one can never get fed up of that view last year we made a trip to Etna and I must say it was well worth it. It took a whole day but we were back at tea time and ready to go down to Taormina that same evening. So here is to September when we will be back.

Room Tip: All the rooms look the same the difference is the terrace some are larger than others and we haven...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I searched on Trip Advisor for hotels in Taormina and after reading the reviews I had to stay at Villa Angela. When we arrived the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. They recommended a cozy family owned restaurant up the hill, which has fabulous. Beyond the service, I can’t even describe the amazing view of Mt Etna and the coast. It literally took my breath away… blue coastal waters, mountain side rocks, and smoke coming from the mountain top. We ended up sending a few evening on our patio enjoying the view with a fine bottle of Italian wine. The staff had told us a few weeks before we arrived they could see lava flowing from the top. I could imagine how beautiful that would have been to see from our room! Furthermore ,the facilities were very nice, clean, and well designed. I highly recommend staying at Hotel Villa Angela.

Room Tip: All the room have a patio - we had ended up going with the Superior.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple