“Best for Seniors”

Hotel Mulino di Firenze
Ranked #27 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stayed in the Hotel Mulino for three nights in June. Having read through the previous reviews I wanted to give an honest opinion of our experience....
My number one essential in any accomodation is cleanliness and I was very pleased with the standards here - the hotel was immaculate. The only problem was that the windows of the room had been left open before we arrived and there were quite a few flies/insects in the room. I tend to get bitten alive and felt uncomfortable with this.
The overall decor of the hotel was traditional and I would imagine the more senior guest would be impressed. There was no where to empty the cases apart from a big wardrobe with very little except hanging space for clothes. The bed was extremely comfortable and the communal areas were quirky and interesting.
The restaurant serves a beautiful breakfast and the staff are very attentive. The restaurant is less appealing at night however. The lighting is very disappointing - all the top lights are on, creating a very stark atmosphere. Even lighting a few candles and possibly some gentle background music could change the ambience for the better. I also felt that the staff were overly formal and seemed under unnecessary pressure. The food and wine were definitely overpriced and I had to send back the Chef's special due to excessive salt levels.
It spoilt our evening as we ended up eating our meals separately. Also the owner was hosting a private party in the same dining room and they had a buffet meal and speeches going on at the same time. We felt like gatecrashers, sitting at the back but paying for the priviledge!
The outside areas of the hotel are really lovely with the old mill wheel restored and the areas all round beautifully paved. The water in the pool was surprisingly cold. There is a great little section with sunloungers and a very attentive barman who was more than happy to rustle up a cocktail or two. The views down the river are very special.
Previous reviews have mentioned wifi and I found that we had no reception in our room at all but good reception beside the main desk.
The other topic mentioned is the shuttle bus... we found it so reliable and efficient....just would have been better with a later one returning to the hotel after 7.30pm...taking me back to my earlier suggestion of the most suitable traveller for this hotel would be the more senior guest.

6  Thank liza55
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review which had my careful attention. I am very sorry about your comments. As you may see from our history and reviews we have experienced in the past very fews negative comments and each time a guest has not been satisfied by our service I do investigate in order to have our standard to the highest level possible.

I am sorry about the window left opened upon arrival. You are right and should never happen. The head chambermaid has been questioned and we had a direct information written once again to our staff.

Your second concern was about light and music in the outside restaurant area which I found to personal to be answered. The hotel management has done some research about that and decided it's setup. Your negative comment about it 's the only one among a lot of positive comments.

Very very surprised to read you were not satisfied with the food level. The restaurant is our major strength point and that's an unusual complain and it's not really overpriced.

Then you mentioned a owner party and I remember well that night (10th June 2012). It was a 70th year birthday of a lawyer of florence and the owner was 'invited' at the party. The party was originally scheduled to be on the other side of the hotel (outside) but a rainstorm forced us to move it inside in hurry. I am sorry but cannot accept the fact the party was considered better than the clients. That was not the case, believe me.

I am sorry about your mixed feelings of the hotel and totally disagree the hotel it's only for seniors. Our statistics says exactly the opposite.

Best regards.

Giancarlo Carniani
Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,139)

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Went June 2011. Myself and two girlfriends. Wow. Triple room beautifully furnished double aspect. Sumptuous bed linen. Powerful and very large whirlpool bath high quality bathroom and fittings. High quality outside furniture. Delicious breakfast served in very well appointed dining room with attentive staff. Unanimous decision was a lovely experience. Only disappointment was charge for the spa which would be nice to be free to guests. Been to champneys for weekend. This was more relaxing. Thankyou

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 6 July 2012

While Hotel Mulino is not in the tourist-filled city center of Florence, the trade-off is a luxurious and stunning hotel, complete with great restaurant (perfect for dinner after a long day of sightseeing), bar, massive breakfasts buffet, pool, and spa that would cost many times more if it were located in the center of Florence. The hotel does provide a limited shuttle service free of charge (I think the first shuttle ride of the day is at 9 am and the last returning ride is at 7:30 pm) that must be reserved ahead of time. However, my thoughts are that the worst case involves getting a taxi ride from Florence, the cost of which is more than offset by the plush surroundings you will find yourself in when you get back to your hotel room that cost so much less than staying downtown. We stayed for three nights in a triple room on the upper floor, so we probably had one of the larger rooms. All of us were impressed by the beautiful decor in our huge room complete with a wood-beamed ceiling (evidence of the hotel's former incarnation as a watermill) and a luxe, spacious, marble bath complete with a Jacuzzi tub and his and her sinks (translation = lots of counter space to spread out!). The best things were the incredible views - watching the Arno River rush over the spillway from one window in the main room, a view of the lovely pool from another window, and best of all, a view of the sun rising over the Arno from the little window in the bathroom. I definitely looked forward to my shower in the morning...it was a beautiful way to start the day.

We loved the hotel's restaurant and indulged in both Florentine specialties (like the ribollita soup - a delicious favorite, even in the heat and the bistecca alla Fiorentina - a veritable mountain of T-bone steak!) and the chef's specials. Their breakfast buffet spread was the most impressive of the four hotels we stayed in while in Italy...everything was delicious from the made to order cappuccinos to the fresh-baked pastries, and we were always well-fed to begin our day of sight-seeing. I do have one caveat about the restaurant seating...if you are prone to mosquito and bug bites, as I am...you might prefer to sit inside and observe the views of the river from there. While the views of the river are beautiful, I found myself constantly swatting once the sun went down.

I do have to agree with one of the other reviewers regarding the Wi-Fi at the hotel...it's definitely spotty. It works great in the bar and common areas, but not so much in the room...that was hit and miss. However, I didn't come to Florence to troll on the internet, so that's a minor issue compared to the overall wonderful experience of this lovely hotel by the Arno River. All of us would look forward to returning to Hotel Mulino in an instant!

Room Tip: I'd definitely pick a room on the upper floors for the views. We saw some small rooms located o...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kim S
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Wow! If your looking for a nice quiet place to relax this is it! Great value for money, beautiful scenery, loved the jaccuzi in the room. Service was par excellance and I would highly recommend this place! Yes it's a bit away from the city center, but this gives u best of both worlds, staying in a stunning locality and yet enjoying the city all at the same time.

Room Tip: Take the room with the river view. U won't regret it!! Also make sure to book your shuttle place...
Reviewed 29 June 2012 via mobile

It was a terrible experience for us, even ruined my impression of Florence! I guess people who highly recommended it would have paid a bit more and got the river view room upstairs which might be fine. We got a room at the ground floor and the whole room had the smell of humidity. It was almost unbearable. We asked to have another room instead and that didn't happen until the next night. Again that room was at ground floor and it smelt the same! Also in both rooms, the Internet was not working at all. We had to get out of the room to have any reception for the Internet. They have very complicated shower system which I guess in theory it should be a bonus, but not when it's not working well. And I tried to call the reception for 15 mins and the line was busy and then no one answered... On top of that, the location is terrible. Very hard to find and it's far away from city centre. They do have shuttle bus but you have to choose a certain time and reserve it. The place is not always guaranteed when there are too many people and they only have certain times to go. So basically if you miss it, you'll just get stuck in the hotel or pay for €20 for the taxi!
To be fair, I have to say they do have great breakfast and really good views.

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank Distant00
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear Guest,

We thank you for your comment which was the very first one giving the hotel only one point.
We have investigate and try to locate your reservation and see what has happened. Anyway I would like to explain some of the issues told in your review.

Location. Hotel does not advertise and pretend to be in the city center and our location is honestly shown in our website or third party websites. By choosing to stay at the Mulino di Firenze you should be aware it's not central. Most of our clients choose us because they find It's a good retreat after a long and busy day in Florence.

Shuttle Bus. The shuttle bus is free and, as per the location, it's advertised in our website clearly with its ours of operation (6 daily trips until 7.30 pm). Again it's hard to accept a complain for a free service.

Wi-fi Internet System. I have checked all rooms located in the courtyard (I cannot trace which room exactly you were in) and I have no report of disfunction with WI-fi. In the past it has happened a few clients were experiencing problems for a strong anti-virus setup. It could be your case but obviously cannot prove it. I have no complain about that from other guests.

Smell in the rooms. That's a very unexpected complain. You can read all of our reviews and found no mention about this problem. I am currently investigating with the head maintenance to understand what may have happen. I apologize for that and will put it under severe investigations.

Staff. Very surprised to read your negative review about our staff and the fact they we're not answering the telephone. The staff has always been our major point of attraction, more that the hotel itself. We have hundreds of reviews saying that...

Shower system. No report from any client about the problem reported.

Finally we thank you for saying at least our views and breakfast were up to your expectations.
As you may deduct from our reply we do not agree with most of the reasons of your complain but we assure you that every single detail mentioned will be investigate seriously.

Please feel free to contact me anytime in private should you wish to talk with the Manager,

Best regards.

Giancarlo Carniani
Manager
Hotel Mulino di Firenze

Reviewed 27 June 2012

My Wife and I stayed at Mulino di Firenze for our Honeymoon between 11th and 16th June, and had a fantastic time. The Hotel itself is decorated beautifully, with plenty of bygones on show from its past as a working mill, combined with modern and tasteful furnishings. Never before have we spent so much time sat in the communal areas of a Hotel, usually retreating to our room for a bottle of wine. In this Hotel, it was a pleasure to take in the atmosphere and surroundings while being treated to drinks by the wonderful Emilio!
Our stay was massively enhanced by all the staff who simply could not do more to make our stay special (the only exception being a slight abrupt encounter with an unhelpful receptionist on one occasion). Overall, we felt that all staff were truely proud of both Florence and also the Hotel, and this left us feeling very much as guests rather than customers. A remarkable achievement and one we have never encountered in a Hotel before.
We ate twice in the Hotel restaurant and, again, we cannot speak highly enough of our experience. The food was wonderful, and the service fantastic. We were even given a sneaky taste of some other dishes which we did not order just to satisfy our curiosity; its this kind of extra attention and personal touch which really marks out this Hotel and restaurant as a special place.
Our room itself was a superior room which gave us a view over the gardens, pool and on to the picturesque river Arno and the weir. The room was immaculately clean, decorated very well, and had a fantastic bathroom. The jacuzzi bath was incredible for massaging our feet after a day walking around Florence. It was also so noticeable how high quality all fixtures and fittings were. And it was lovely to not have health and safety notices and such like stuck all around the room like a normal Hotel. It really was a home away from home.
In terms of location, the Hotel is perfect as it is away from the hoards of tourists in the centre, and is set amongst the lovely suburbs. We found it was a 45 min walk to the centre, which itself is a nice stroll along the side of the river Arno. Or alternatively the Hotel shuttle bus is ideal for making trips both ways - be aware though that you need to book your spaces a good 24 hours in advance to be sure of a seat at your preferred time of travel. Otherwise, there is a No.23 bus from the close by village of Nave A Rovezzano (5 mins walk to the right as you leave the Hotel gates). The bus leaves outside the church, and you can buy a ticket 1 way for 2 euros on the bus. This will take you all the way to the SMN bus terminal, with various stops on the way. The bus does not run late in the evening however, so that leaves a taxi option. Some reviews say taxis can be had for 10 euros, but we were stung for 27, so beware!
Overall our only complaint is that Mulino di Firenze has raised our expectations for Hotels and restaurants to a new level, and it is unlikely we will find anywhere that meets these kind of standards for a long long time. We simply cannot wait to return!

1  Thank sandyandmike
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Well, thanks to Trip Advisor I manage to never really stay anywhere bad and it certainly was the case again with Hotel Mulino!

After self catering for a week near Siena we finished our annual Italy trip with a couple of nights in this fantastic hotel. We and another couple stayed in the standard rooms and were impressed with the high quality finish, the well equipped bathrooms and magnificent views over the Arno river and the swimming pool.

Our check in was easy and we received help with the luggage. As it was a hot day and we travelled a couple of hours we decided to remain at the hotel for the day and had delicious pasta for lunch. The pool, stylishly designed, is out of this world. When we then received waiter service sitting on our sunbeds our first day was perfect! Dinner outside, next to the river was equally fabulous.

The bed was massive and comfy allowing us a very good night’s sleep. As our rooms towards the front of the hotel were single storey it was refreshingly quiet and relaxing. After a fantastic breakfast with immense choice we booked the shuttle into Florence which is free of charge and only takes about 10 minutes. We spend quite a few hours doing light sightseeing, had a delicious lunch and managed to hail a taxi back to the hotel, as it was 39 degrees by 2 pm we were eager to return to the pool side to cool down and spend the rest of the day. Another fantastic dinner was on the cards. I’d recommend an evening in Florence which we’d done before but the hotel restaurant offered all we needed for the two evenings of our short stay this time, bearing in mind it was quite hot in the evenings it suited us just fine.

The whole hotel is laid out like a piece of art, a museum, a collection of fantastic memorabilia! We had a good walk around on our arrival and were amazed, whoever designed this and placed all the pieces has done a fantastic job!

Now the main thing we fell in love with – all the staff! I would not be able to pick a single name above another, everyone was lovely and helpful. This reflected to the other customers staying, everybody was happy, chatty and content. A mix of nationalities, all couples / groups of friends, some other Brits and Germans we got chatting to around the pool and at dinner times. Not sure if I’d recommend the hotel to families with small children, whilst they would be certainly ok I am not sure if it is that sort of environment, we certainly enjoyed the more mature (well, aged late 20s plus but no one had children) clientele and the quiet environment it created around the pool. Having said that there are a couple of different seating areas around the pool to pick from. A localy lady spend one day around the pool with about 6 kids (I guess a treat for her own child and the friends) but as it is the case with most southern European countries, they were very well behaved whilst still enjoying themselves, actually quite sweet to watch.

Having been lucky enough to stay in a number of gorgeous hotels all over Italy, which is what we always add to the end of our self catering June break, this one is definitely going on our list to return to! Highly recommended! As someone said in a previous review - a piece of heaven!!

Oh, we did not use the Spa but heard it is well worth a booking! And try the Cocktails!