“Worst service ever”

Chalet Bellariva
Ranked #737 of 2,988 Restaurants in Florence
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Chalet Bellariva is located on a beautiful panoramic terrace overlooking the Arno, where you can enjoy wood-fired pizzas, pasta dishes, fish specialties and grilled meat.
Reviewed June 2, 2018 via mobile

Very rude to English speaking tourists. The waitress prentended to not speak English half way through our dinner when I mentioned that there was a bug in my drink! Food was subpar.

Graziano M, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Chalet Bellariva, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2018

Dear Mariana,

I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t appreciate your experience at Chalet Bellariva. And I’m also sorry to hear that there was a bug in your drink. However, as you undoubtedly noticed, Chalet Bellariva is nestled in a green oasis facing the Arno river, the open terrace is surrounded by centennial trees and that implies that the sudden showing of leaves, small bugs, mosquitoes and even cute little birds is unavoidable in a green and open area. It’s absolutely true that this can be annoying while you’re enjoying your meal but it’s also true that witnessing the untimely demise of the unfortunate little bug till the glass is removed from one’s presence is a very small price to pay for sitting in a corner of paradise.
With regards to your statement about the waitress rudeness pretending to not speak English, I’d like to share a little secret with you, one that is jealously guarded among our peers in the catering industry: our staff is required to notify the management immediately about the language spoken by our guests so that we can send to their table the waitress/waiter best versed in the guests language. We can certainly communicate with our clients in the most commonly spoken languages, obviously English, French, German, Spanish and Portuguese. This is why I find that your statement about our staff possibly being snobbish with you, leaves considerable room for doubt. We daily strive to improve our service and to greet our guests, without exception, with the utmost respect and professionality. We do value all our clients and even more so all the foreign tourists that contribute so much to making life in Florence more lively and interesting.

In the event that you actually experienced the inconveniences you described, please allow me to remind you that your best option is always to address them immediately with the restaurant manager. In our case you would have gotten the prompt attention of not one but two very perceptive managers who never fail to show their presence among the guests and who are constantly checking, day in and day out, the restaurant goings.

With regards to our food being subpar, I’m sorry to hear that you did not appreciate your meal, but, again, may I remind you that it’s always advisable to mention this kind of issues immediately with the management? It’s not wrong to give people the chance to make it up to you if they really made a mistake somewhere.

We still hope to see you again in our restaurant so that you can experience first-hand our hospitality and professionality.

Reviewed March 26, 2018 via mobile

It is hard to say what is best between the quality of the dishes and the service! You can find anything from Italian classic to their new interpretations and the stuff is great at assisting in your wine choice!! The location is not the most central but it is worth the walk and the environment inside is cozy and well though through!! A particular thank you to the chef Martin who not only came to explain every detail of his art but he also delivered above our (high) expectations!!!

1  Thank Laura P
Reviewed March 19, 2018

The location is right on the river with a wonderful view and relaxed atmosphere. Easy to park and close to where I live so it has quickly become one of my favourite places and I have eaten here for lunch with friends and pizza dinner with the kids and I love the restaurant both day time and night time. I have been here serveral times and I have tried most seafood dishes and all have been a culinary experience. I love the idea of the lunch "menu of the day" which has dishes that change every day according to the season and what is found in the local market, all for a very good price. The owners are very good at suggesting a good wine to accompany the dishes, I especially like their white wines from Sardinia.
The pizza that is only available in the evening made by the female pizzamaker Arla, made in wood oven, are the most deliscious I have eaten in Florence!
I'm not a dessert fan but their passionfruit semi-freddo is amazing.
My kids love the restaurant too since the owners are very kid-friendly and they can easily find something off menu that pleases them.
I highly recommend it!

1  Thank FeliciBe
Reviewed March 2, 2018

I went to Chalet Bellariva a couple of days ago with my family.
We were greeted by a very friendly staff. The place is very nice and clean, the lighting is warm and the music level is perfect: you can enjoy a conversation with a soft melody in the background, very important!
The menu is short, precise and interesting and the wine list simply gorgeous! I deeply recommend the Vermentinos!
The four of us chose the fish menu: everything was amazing and in big portions! The pasta was good and juicy and the swordfish carpaccio heavenly! The deserts are home made by Loredana and they are gorgeous, I strongly suggest the passion fruit sorbet!
The atmosphere was really cozy and nice and everybody made us feel welcome and spoiled!
I strongly recommend Chalet Bellariva!

1  Thank Martina M
Reviewed February 13, 2018 via mobile

I visited Chalet Bellariva when on holiday in Florence. The staff were excellent, and were very helpful with translating their menu to English for us. We had a three course meal and every aspect was perfect, as was the wine! Great views and amazing atmosphere. Don’t miss this gem of a place

1  Thank Jason W
Graziano M, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Chalet Bellariva, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2018

Thanks for the review, we look forward to seeing you again in our restaurant