“Contemporary and fresh approach to local cuisine”

IO osteria personale
Reserve with
IO osteria personale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 3,025 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Santo Spirito / San Frediano
Reviewed October 14, 2017 via mobile

Reminded me of the trendy Nordic fine dining approach to innovative simply with local ingredients. A perfect combination of tastes between different courses and the paired wines. We ordered 5 courses first, but had to make it 6 as we went on! Fantastic.

Reviewed October 12, 2017

If we ever go back to Florence - what am I saying? When we go back to Florence this is the restaurant we will definitely visit again.

Unprepossessing from the outside it is easy to pass this restaurant by unless you had a recommendation how would you know?

Everything about it is perfect, the food is sublime - equal to, if not better than, the best of Copenhagen's 'new scandi' offerings. My wife had the best dessert of her life peanut butter and lime sorbet with a coconut foam that she is still talking about I had order envy and that doesn't happen often in restaurants as, often, being Cow's milk and wheat intolerant, she gets offered the usual fruit salad or just a sorbet. Service was brilliant with a very competent amusing waitress. Hope you enjoy your visit to London in December.

The wine list is good, with a spread of prices and geographies, but it's a good idea to stick to the Italian local wines as they are superb and match well.

Their tasting menu seemed popular with other diners and looked good but we were interested in specific dishes. It's a very small restaurant and we saw three couples without reservations turned away as they were fully booked so it's essential to make reservations. An Italian colleague of my wife's expressed surprise we had managed to get in and was most envious.

Reviewed October 11, 2017

From the service to the presentation of the food to the fun conversations with staff, our night dinning at Osteria Personale was wonderful. And did I mention the food was amazing?! We spent 3 weeks eating our way through Italy and this was one of the highlights. Should we have the opportunity to return to Florence we will definitely venture back here.

Reviewed October 10, 2017

Let's begin with dessert: How innovative is wild fennel ice cream with licorice meringue and a cream sauce? It was Tuscan, but unlike any other food we had in Florence, and it tasted fantastic. This was the end of a spectacular meal at a place that I had carefully researched for a special dinner with my wife. (We had a babysitter in a foreign city!) The appetizer was the tenderest, tastiest calamari I have ever had, and the main dish was a perfect encrusted veal dish. They use some unusual combinations of ingredients, but not the kind of crazy stuff you find in some restaurants that doesn't really work. Everything tastes as good as it sounds on the menu. And they even had a wonderful craft beer for someone who likes a beer with dinner.

The service was impeccable on a crowded Saturday night (book ahead!!). The portions were just right so that after "saving room for dinner" and walking that day, we left full but not stuffed. This is not a cheap place, but we got a decent value considering the amount and quality of food. The ambiance is sparse but elegant. Even when the place is full, the noise level is not too much.

Only two minor quibbles: I wouldn't say the food was over-salted because the amount of salt worked with the dishes, but there was plenty of salt in the food. If this concerns you (it doesn't me), you might want to say something to the wait staff to navigate the menu. (There's also plenty of dill in some dishes, which I also liked.) The only real misstep was the bread, a dry and uninteresting foccacia and a nondescript poppy-seed bread. Food this good deserves spectacular bread. But still: unequivocally five stars for this place.

1  Thank hochbeam
Reviewed October 6, 2017

This restaurant offers high quality cooking and very unusual dishes for Florence. Very inventive food... very modern and well appointed space. The portions aren't generous, and the prices are high... but that's what I expected.

Unfortunately, the service was not up to the standard of the cooking. I can't speak for others, but I experienced my server as cold, aloof and impatient. I felt tense and even a little unwelcome, and that greatly diminished the quality of my experience here.

If I make my way back to Florence I won't be dining here again.