“Excellent value for money”
Review of Il Guelfo Bianco

Il Guelfo Bianco
Ranked #26 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is a three star hotel with five star service. Every member of the team understand what service excellence is - and they deliver it consistently. We stayed with friends in three rooms - each was spotlessly clean, had individual charm and character and remained wonderfully warm during the -4 degrees weekend.

Having read some of the poor comments, I can't help thinking that people forget this building is over 500 years old. We did not experience anything not working - but even if we had, the beauty and character of the rooms and the charm of the hotel and its staff would more than compensate.

If you've never been to Florence before and want to be looked after in beautiful surroundings just a one minute walk from the Doumo - I recommend this hotel as excellent value.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andre F
Write a ReviewReviews (2,406)

Reviewed 18 February 2012

stayed here last summer (2011). the staff is very helpful - they also book the museums so you can skip the lines. location is very central - everything is a short walk away including the train station. will stay again :)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Maverick1611
Reviewed 14 February 2012

After our BA flight home was cancelled we called into Il Guelfo Bianco to see if they could help us with an unexpected night's accommodation. We had been staying in a very sleek, contemporary apartment which had glorious views of the Duomo but was bitterly cold (the external temps were an unprecedented -10 at least) and we needed somewhere warm.
We'd read the TA reviews and looked up the prices on line but wanted to check for ourselves there would be some warmth on offer.
The young man on reception was very friendly and offered two rooms (101 and 103) at a special rate including breakfast and gave us the room keys so we could see them before committing ourselves. The rooms are hugely characterful with wonderful historic features and masses of space. On returning to Reception the customer service of the hotel was further enhanced. I (cheekily) asked if we could check in early as we had to leave the apartment at 11am and this was readily agreed to.
I've only given an overall rating of 4 stars as although the rooms were warm enough and breakfast good, there was very limited hot water and our friends had problems opening the external shutters. Perhaps we should have enquired at Reception about these issues but I didn't want to be a pest.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Florence and would happily stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a larger de-luxe room if you can.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear Patpgr,

I really thank you for your review and we are happy you like our rooms and thanks also for the nice words you had for our staff. We try to do our best to offer a pleasant and enjoyable stay to our customers and when they do appreciate our jobs it'a a great deal for us :-)

Regarding the hot waters we checked immediately when you advcie us but during those days it was really freezy in Florence( (it looked to be in Siberia in not in Florence! Usually our winter are never so cold!) and we had some problems with water pressure because the pressure of the boiler was slower due to the gas pressure all around the tow. Luckly we were able to solve the problem as soon as the technician arrive here and adjust the boiler's electronic control .

Regarding the windows our hotel is housed in two late 15th century buildings with large and antique windows but usually it' s very easy to open them. You shoud never be afraid to ask help at our front desk if you have problems. We are always happy to help our customers.

Hoping for meeting you again in the future, I remain with my best regards. and Thansk again to all the people who write about us. we love you :-)

Antonella Rocchini

Reviewed 8 February 2012

We stayed for three nights, and it was wonderful. So glad I did my research on tripadvisor, and booked a stay here. Breakfast was so good and fresh, macchiato's superb, and I had a terrific lunch in the cafe as well. Home cooked duck and potatoes. Room 118 was great. Location is the best, much better to be here than near the river! You can easily walk to and from train station.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 4 February 2012

This is a wonderfully quaint, CLEAN, safe, wonderfully located hotel in Florence. I actually stayed in two different rooms because I returned to Florence after 8 or so days away. The staff is wonderful. They are cheerful, helpful and appreciative. Hotel Il Gruelfo Bianco is stuffed with antiques and wonderful architecture as well as interesting art throughout the hotel. The hotel stay includes a great breakfast. The hotel also offers a great little bistro for a cappuccino or even a great daily prepared meal. Hotel Il Guelfo Bianco is located a few blocks from the Duomo and there are some great trattorias and restaurants all around. I have already recommended the hotel to friends and I will continue to do so. The staff tries hard to make your stay wonderful and for my family, they did a GREAT job. If you go to Florence, check out this hotel.
George N. Miller

Room Tip: Ask the staff for their suggestions for you and your companions because they will tailor the hotel t...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank georgenmiller
Reviewed 27 January 2012

The hotel is very central and with lovely detail in the room- it felt special. No noise from the street when windows are closed- we stayed in the street facing room and my other half is a light sleeper. The breakfast was good and fresh. The only minus for me was that I found beds and pillows a bit hard and uncomfortable. However, the staff very friendly and let me try other beds in other rooms and I got used to beds by second night. I will choose the hotel again if I ever went to Florence. We chose this hotel based on triadvisor reviews and were not disppointed.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Still_Searching
Reviewed 25 January 2012

We stayed in January 2012 and had a great experience. Staff was always extremely helpful and helped to make our stay very comfortable. The view from the window to the garden was like something you see in the movies. Within walking distance to all the things you will want to see when you are in Florence (We only took a Taxi to the hotel and then to the airport). Free breakfast was great along. I would recommend staying at this hotel if you plan to visit Florence.

Room Tip: Ask for the view of the garden
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple