All reviews safe key train station nice hotel croissants cold buffet rooms are big three nights main attractions sized room short break sister hotel central location city break min walk air conditioning comfortable rooms beautiful city
Reviewed March 3, 2018

My first visit to Florence ! This hotel is a good budget hotel, clean and comfortable with pleasant staff, buffet breakfast of Italian cakes, Cold ham and cheese, breads, croissant, cereals , coffee teas. Pleasant staff ," woman in breakfast room made us feel uncomfortable fussing around ", Hotel in good location in about 15 min walk from most Highlights of a visit to Florence , Dumo, Ponte Veccio, Efuzzi etc ,

Room Tip: Try to get one on 1st or 3rd floor, rooms on 2nd floor have high windows so you can't look out on your eye level.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank mummyuk2017
Reviewed February 24, 2018

I stayed at this hotel for 21 nights while attending a language school. I had found and booked the hotel on my own.

Good:
+ Spacious room
+ Storage space in bathroom around the sink
+ Blackout curtains
+ Comfortable bed, firm mattress
+ Wi-Fi stable
+ Fridge in room
+ Bottle of water upon arrival
+ Breakfast starting at 7 AM
+ Breakfast buffet ample for Italian standards
+ Location – restaurants, supermarket, laundry nearby, park with benches

Bad:
- Housekeeping is erratic
- Service attitude lacking for the majority of staff
- Be careful or you might pay too much for your room / tourist tax (example below)
- No fresh fruit at the breakfast buffet
- Water running through pipes can be heard every time, like a waterfall
- Sometimes a low-frequency sound can be heard like the humming of a machine
- Moldy shower curtain, dust bunnies behind the fridge and elsewhere in the room
- the ventilation in the bathroom never worked
- Heating in bathroom is centralized, sometimes the radiator is cold
- Safe unusable because no key
- Breakfast room is dark and cold

All in all, my verdict is: if you are just looking for a room to sleep in, the hotel is okay. However, be prepared for many discussions if things don’t run smoothly. It might be useful if you speak a bit of Italian. I prefer staying at hotels where the staff is polite and I don’t have to point out to them what work needs to be done.

Some of my experiences in detail:

• There were 4 different guys at the reception. At least with 2 of them I always had the impression I was interrupting them when they were reading the newspaper, or eating, or doing something else. Several times there was no one at the reception and I had to wait for several minutes until someone showed up.

• Check-In: For a surcharge I had reserved a double room for single use to have more space. The first room key I am given by guy A (room 108, if I remember correctly) is a single room with a narrow bed and the bed is unmade. At the first moment I think the room is occupied by someone. Back at the reception, guy A shows me a different room. It is again a single room and now I feel that this cannot be a mistake but that they try to put me in a single room whereas I pay for a double. I tell him in Italian that I reserved a double room. The third room (8) is a double room. The room key does not fit the safe but I am tired of debating, the TV has no signal.

• The TV in room 8 does not work because a broken-off plug is stuck to the input port of the TV. However, an intact cable lies on the floor. I pull away the writing desk, see that basically the broken-off plug has to be extracted. However, I decide not to try to fix the issue myself because I might break something. At the same time I wonder: if the TV does not work but an intact cable is here, then probably someone reported the issue already and the TV has not been fixed. I inform guy A at the reception, who tries to fix the issue by inserting the cable but of course that does not work. He leaves and returns with more cables. After a while of meddling he tells me he will call a technician the day after. Given all my experiences until now, I don’t trust his promise at all. As soon as he is gone, I take a pair of tweezers, extract the broken plug and insert the cable. The TV works. Later, I return the collection of cables to the guy at the front desk. He jokes that they should hire me as the technician.

• Breakfast room, day 2: all tables are set but I am looking for plates at the buffet. I would like to put the things I choose at the buffet on an extra plate. I find the breakfast service lady in an adjacent room, at a table with plates and cups. I take one plate, ask (too late) whether I am allowed, she says yes but gives me a quizzical look, then she leaves. I find her at the table that I had chosen and she takes away the plate that was on that very table! It seems that every guest is permitted to having exactly one plate. A few days later, when I notice another guest taking an extra plate, I cannot help thinking that this means trouble for them later…

• Day 3, I am returning to the hotel in the evening. Guy B tells me I need to pay the tourist tax. I tell him in Italian I am a bit surprised because the last time in Florence in October last year, I paid at the end of my stay. He says something about more checks being carried out, etc. He hands me a hand-written note that says 21 (number of nights) x 4 (category of the hotel) and does not even mention it is the tourist tax. I pay but early the next morning t I remember it had been different at the other hotel. There was a maximum of 7 nights. I research the web site of Florence city and the info is there in Italian. I go to the reception, guy A is there, and I tell him that the bill I got was not correct. He immediately realizes the mistake, tells me his colleague was wrong and that it was probably due to the “macchinetta” (little machine). I stay calm but know very well that no little machine was involved in creating that bill the day before. By now I feel like the tourist cash cow, ready to be milked. Guy A promises me to fix the issue (at least I have written proof of the error) and indeed, in the evening guy B hands me an envelope containing the difference in cash.

• After a few days the peppermint tea at breakfast runs out. I decide to check when they will notice… they don’t. Two days later the green tea is about to run out as well and I inform the breakfast service guy.

• Housekeeping was somewhat erratic. Every day, towels were changed but I would have been unable to predict which ones would be changed each day. On Feb 11, only dirty towels had been removed but no new towels added. As I had a double room, this left me with one set of towels for the next day. Alas, on Feb 12 the remaining towels, no dirty, were not exchanged. I still left a tip (as I had done every single day), thinking it might have been an oversight. On Feb 13 still no new towels and the wastepaper basket under the desk had not been emptied either. It seemed to me that very day only the bed had been made. From then on I did not leave any tip and, as I knew I was going to leave on the 17th, I decided to become an observer and see for how long this would continue instead of complaining at the front desk. On Feb 15th the towels were exchanged again and I also found several mineral water bottles in the fridge.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed December 13, 2017

We got a terrific Easyjet deal, about £140pp for 3 nights b and b inc flights to Pisa. Unbelievable value. The hotel was so much better than we expected with generous sized room, comfy superking sized bed, a fridge, large wardrobe and a very decent continental breakfast. The reception chap who greeted us was superb and so helpful but other staff on the desk, not so. Never seen the point of working in the service industry if you're not willing to give the very best service you can. Go do another job, if you can't be bothered to be nice. Having said that I must have dropped a gold earring in our room and the maid found it and put it prominently on the desk. Thank you to that lady. One disappointment was that they advertised a bar area, but it was dark, cold and they had no drink! Well, we did order a gin and tonic the first afternoon which they just about managed to serve but after that, there was no more alcohol available. No wine, beer, spirits, nothing; just a line of empty spirit bottles left on show. Shame as we would have spent some money with them had the area been warm and welcoming and had they actually had some drinks to sell! Sort out the bar area and the attitude of some of the reception staff and you have a great little hotel.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jean H
Reviewed November 16, 2017

Very close to the heart of Florence. 10 minutes walk to the sights and train station. Hotel overlooks a large square of grass and trees, surrounded by majestic Florentine buildings. Very large double room & ensuite. Very comfortable. Very clean. Excellent customer service. We would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Ground floor room 5 at the front was quiet. You are in the heart of a city so expect a little traffic noise.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew T
Reviewed November 8, 2017 via mobile

Firstly, we had to request over four times for toilet paper. The hotel management are very careless. The room service wasn't done and we found our room's door open once. Instead of apologising they kept insisting that it was normal. They shut the main doors after midnight and we had to wait 15 minutes outside because I had to call the hotel to wake someone up. There are alot of other hotels nearby. Please be careful.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple