2,522 results
All reviews garden room train station san marco overlooking the garden lovely hotel breakfast room within walking distance welcome drink first floor minute walk yogurt deluxe room quiet street central market around the corner i highly recommend this hotel major sites
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Nice hotel, modern rooms but old-world ambience. Good location in florence, excellent breakfast. All staff were very helpful. We had two different rooms - one was perfect and the other was shabby, so just be aware of an inconsistency in the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first, because most are perfect, but a few are a bit shabby.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review! Yes we do have different room types. Classic rooms which have a classic florentine interior style, Deluxe rooms which were renovated in 2009 so they have a more modern style and Superior rooms with balconies looking over the rooftops of florence, these also have a classic florentine interior design. We all appreciate the nice comment about the staff memebers and breakfast! Thank you again.
Best Regards,

Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was the quintessential Italian experience here. It is beautiful, quiet and perfectly located in a wonderful area. Would love to stay here again. The only negative was they don't have a hotel bar and the "cocktail party" bar maid serves you one welcome mimosa out on the patio from the laundry room or something - that seemed a bit odd... if you miss that part, you won't miss much.
Otherwise - it was great! Our room was so cute!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thanks for your message. It's nice to read how you loved the beauty and the location of the hotel. At the patio bar we have an "Happy Hour" from 6 to 8 pm in our outdoor terrace. By the way the maid uses a service room which is not the laundry but... thanks for the impression!
Francesco Bini

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I just returned from 2 fabulous weeks in Italy. We stayed at the Orto twice, for one night at the beginning of our trip and for 4 nights before going to Venice. We loved it! The first time we stayed in the older part of the hotel and our room was huge and very charming. The bathroom, however is small with no place to put your stuff (and I have stuff). The 4 nights we stayed later, we stayed in the new addition and the room was very lovely. We had a nice little patio with table and chairs off our room where you could relax after a long day. But the best thing about the room was the fact that the bathroom was divided and one side had a sink, huge counter and shower/tub and the other side had a sink, smaller counter and toilet!!!
There is a lovely breakfast buffet with both indoor and outdoor dining (watch out for the resident pigeons) and in the evenings they have a bar and "piano music" (a CD) on the upstairs patio -really lovely.
The hotel is in a convenient location and not a long walk from many good restaurants (which the staff at the front desk are happy to tell you about and make reservations for you -try L'Accademia where we ate twice-yummy food and just a 3 block walk from the hotel.
Florence is very busy and this hotel is just a bit removed from all of that which, to us, was a good thing.

Room Tip: #81 was our room on the second leg of our journey (a deluxe room with a garden view) but if you like very large and more charming/authentic ask for a room in the older part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
gflorence, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review! You have experienced 2 of the room types we offer. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed both and the hotel in general. Yes the hotel is in a very convenient location very close to the center of Florence just a 10 minute walk! Front desk staff can help with restaurant advice, booking museum tickets, tours, or just answer any questions one might have. We hope to see you again in Florence!
Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel, the staff are very friendly and helpful. They have a very good list of restaurants and were happy to make reservations for us. The breakfast on the terrace in the morning is lovely, a wonderful way to begin each day. They also serve cocktails on the terrace from 6-8, a nice way to start the evening! The location is great, only a few blocks from the Duomo and other important sights. We would not hesitate to recommend Orto de Medici to others and will stay here again the next time we are in Florence.

Room Tip: My husband and I, along with another couple had rooms #73 & #74, these rooms are on ground level and very safe. We had requested quiet king bed rooms overlooking the inner garden. The rooms were indeed quiet, comfortable with blackout blinds for sleeping and very clean. We used the air conditioner at night and there was no noise from it at all.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn R
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Thank you for your review! The room around the inner garden are the "deluxe" renewed, I am pleased to read how you enjoed your stay there. Thank you.
Francesco Bini

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We are staying in this hotel now, as a part of our honeymoon trip. We booked a standard room, which happened to be the smallest room I have ever seen - room 43, with a view of fire escape stairs, not even close to the picture on the website. But, as my husband said, "you have not seen the NY hotels...". Not beeing too upset with the size of the room or the view as we were not planning to spend much time there anyways, we went for a dinner and a walk.When we came back, the room "surprised" us with a sewage smell and not working a/c. I went downstairs and asked to change the room, but it was around 10pm, so the friendly guy at the reception told me they can only look into exchanging the room in the morning. No need to say I could not sleep till 3 am - horrible smell and no fresh air, could not open the window because of the mosquitoes.
Now I understand that we probably got the room that the manager of the hotel called the "economy" room in one of his responses to a review on tripadvisor. Well, they have not classified this room as "economy" as promised, and charged us as for a regular standard room.
Thank God, in the morning we were offered a superior room, but were asked to pay extra 30 euro per night. The room is same old and worn out (looks like they renovated rooms only on the first floor so far), but is bigger, has a nice view, a balcony and no smell! considering we are on a honeymoon trip, the last thing I want is to smell toilet in my room and not be able to sleep, so obviously 30 euro was not an issue, although I really think that the hotel was supposed to cover this extra charge as they make false presentation on their website in terms of the pictures and room description. I never kept my expectations high for a 3 star hotel in Europe and I am sure there are nice rooms in this hotel, but stay away from the classic rooms! The hotel has good reviews on tripadvisor, but i am sure they come from the people who stayed in the higher level rooms. For the price of the classic room, you can find a better place in Florence!
 On a positive side, the hotel has quite good location, close to everything, the common areas are pretty, the wifi is good, and the breakfast is not bad- basic, but good cold cuts and very good cappucino.
I would  recommend this place only to those who can afford to stay in mor expensive/upgraded rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Ana_v_v
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Ana,
I would first off like to apologize for the inconvenience during the first part of your stay, especially because it is a special occasion for you. We try our best to satisfy our guests' needs and requests. Unfortunately, some things are out of our hands. For example the problem you personally experienced, that is, the offensive outdoor odor that without warning comes for a short amount of time from around the city. It is a problem that is very unfavourable towards residents and the Hospitality industry in the center of Florence, but the problem can be resolved by closing the windows. I apologize once again. We will definitely have the a/c double checked. As for the rooms, room n. 43 is a Classic room and has been judged by many clients a satisfying room, I'm sorry your experience was a negative one. We also have Superior rooms with balconies that look over the rooftops of Florence and Deluxe rooms that have all been renovated in 2009 and have a modern interior design. Thank you for your review we appreciate all positive and negative comments and are learning form each review.
Best Regards,