2,486 results
All reviewsgarden roomtrain stationsan marcooverlooking the gardenlovely hotelbreakfast roomwithin walking distancewelcome drinkfirst floorminute walkyogurtpollodeluxe roomquiet streetcentral marketaround the cornermajor sites
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I picked Hotel Orto De Medici based on guide books and trip advisor. When we arrived we found out there was a slight mix-up with our room. After the first night the hotel generously upgraded us to a beautiful junior suite. We stayed 5 nights, left for a few days and came back for our last night which they upgraded again to a beautiful room. The hotel staff was always friendly and helpful. They made our stay in Florence exceptional and we look forward to staying with them again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Thank you lots for the feedback. It is always a pleasure to read about a great stay. We apologize for the mix up and I'm glad we were able to make it up to you both times. Hope to see you again soon.
Ciao from Florence

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed four nights here and the location is great.
Pros:
* terrific location, close to everything.
* excellent guestroom bathrooms, which have all been remodeled
* great outdoor seating area with comfortable seating and umbrellas
* very nice powder rooms on the ground floor
* a large computer room (which we didn't use)
* a comfortable, if outdated, lounge on the first (not ground) floor
* very good breakfasts

Cons:
* if you stay here book an upgraded room, NOT the "classic" or "standard," which haven't been remodeled and are totally stark. After coming from a lovely hotel in Venice, we nearly left after seeing the "classic" room. Ugh. It eventually grew on us (nice bathroom) and at the end of the day, it was fine.
* can be *very* noisy if your room faces the street.
* some of the staff was nice, especially the young man at the front desk and some of the breakfast staff; however, the young woman who works at the front desk had zilch personality. (Again, we had just stayed at hotel where EVERYONE went out of their way to not only be accommodating but also extremely friendly, while at the same time professional.)
* no "nice" touches like fresh flowers. e.g. Instead of pens with the hotel's name, they have a box of stubby golf pencils at the front desk. Tacky.
For the price, we'd go somewhere else if we returned. That said, Florence is expensive and this is probably about average. So we *would* consider returning because of the great location but only to one of the upgraded rooms.

Room Tip: Stay in an upgraded room and you'll be fine!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelerNorfolk
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear TravelerNorfolk,
We always appreciate feedback from our former guests. I'm sorry you were not pleased with the room type you chose to book. Please note that on our website you can always find the different categories of room types we offer, which makes it very simple to book the correct room depending on your specific needs and expectations. I am, however, pleased to read you did find some positive aspects about your experience with us. When you do come back to Florence please consider booking a Deluxe room with us. I'm sure you will not be disappointed.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed here at the end of September 2013. We picked this hotel because it got decent reviews on tripadvisor and the like and location was right for our visit.

Pros: The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room was on the corner of third floor (#30) and faced the street. The room and bathroom were well sized with a fairly comfortable bed and a couple of chairs. Breakfast was included with the fare and was good for a free breakfast. I liked the fresh orange juice, croissants and coffee machine. Breakfast is served on the first floor in both an indoor room with ten or so tables as well as a connected outdoor patio.

Cons: I would recommend anyone who is a light or border line light sleeper to bring earplugs. We heard many people in the hallway, people moving chairs in the room above us, and some noise from the street. The garbage/recycling collection (which happened multiple mornings over the course of five days) was quite bothersome as the bins full of loose glass bottles are dumped into collection trucks at about 5 a.m.

My biggest complaint was the key policy. You are required to leave your key at the front desk when you leave the hotel, which isn't really an issue. However, when you come back, you just tell them a room number and they give you the key no questions asked. I saw at least 4 different receptionists who my first interactions with were getting our room key. None asked for any form of identification which I find a little unnerving. If that was changed, I would have given the hotel a 4 star rating instead of 3.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Jeff V,
Thank you for writing a review. All suggestions and opinions are always welcome. I'm glad you found our staff accommodating and also enjoyed the breakfast. We apologize if you had some trouble sleeping. As for the key policy, I can assure you we have never had any problems or issues with giving back the keys to the correct guests, let alone giving out keys to "strangers". Nevertheless, we apologize if this did not make you feel very comfortable.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 6, 2013

To be honest, for the price we were paying (>300Eur/night), I thought the rooms would be much better. On the first night, we got room 3, if you are going to stay here then you really don't want this room. It is on the 1st floor between the breakfast hall and the breakfast hall toilet. You get the staff & Italian radio @ 7am as they start service. We changed rooms for the second night, up on the 3rd floor, a very similar room but thankfully quieter. In both of the rooms we had, you could actually touch all 4 walls without getting out of the bed and the ensuite was a bit mouldy, cracked tiles, standard plug with hairdryer next to the sort of weird mini crouchy bath/shower thing. Both windows had a spectacular view of a concrete wall 2m away. We tried the breakfast on day 1 but it was rubbish (coffee from a vending machine in Italy!) & DIY toast ..didn't bother on day 2. ..Day 3 we moved to another hotel, paid roughly the same price and got a fantastic modern room overlooking the river... This place really felt quite like a Youth Hostel, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
gflorence, Responsabile reception at Hotel Orto De Medici, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Dear Danny88_13,

Just let me explain you something: when you book a flight at the very last minute you shall expect to pay a higher price for the ticket, even if you are receiving the same exact service as the passenger seated next to you, who paid a third of your price booking with months in advance. In hotellerie it is going to be the same with the dynamic rates: who books first will get the best discount, the second a less convenient one and so on, until the last rooms booked which are going to get paid in full.

I am sorry if you were disappointed with your experience, but you decided to travel to Florence in the most crowded and expensive period of the year (September/October) when hotels have so many guests that makes it difficult to satisfy all the special requests, especially those arriving at the last minute.

To be honest, I appreciate all the suggestions and feedbacks, but the way you called the breakfast is just a depreciative compensation of your dissatisfaction with the room. All the other reviews prove it. It looks like you did not wanted to see the fresh pastries and bread, the salami and mortadella, the cheese, the yogurt, the fresh fruit-salad, the freshly squeezed orange juice, the cereals, the daily boiled eggs, all the fresh drinks, the free open bar, the Nutella, the jams in mini-jars of glass, the biscuits, the plumcakes, the honey, the fresh fruits and all the rest!

I am almost sure you were not paying 300 euros for all the days you were here, but maybe for a very busy night only, probably the first one. The next days your rate was something in the range of 200-250 euros. For what you paid in the next four-star hotel you stayed in (+100/150 euros a night, you write it in your next review), you could take a chance on upgrading to one of our superior room with private balcony and amazing view from the top floor, which actually are much cheaper than that.

But the next time you might consider to take a holiday, please try to book fairly in advance.

Francesco Bini

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Quiet, yet convenient to central Florence, I would return to the Hotel Orto De Medici in a minute. The staff are friendly and professional. The breakfast room and courtyard is wonderful. The room is roomier and the availability of the frozen fruit bars in the lobby was a nice touch.

Dear Gvwhct,
Thanks for your very nice review!
I promise next time you will visit us you will find new improvements and new ideas that will worth a another review to mention them!
Grazie!