Hotel Giglio
Il Guelfo Bianco(Florence)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$639
US$621
Orcagna Hotel(Florence)
US$446
All reviewsvia cavourpastriesfirst floorminute walkhard boiled eggssmall liftnice breakfastcontinental breakfasthigh ceilingsold buildinglarge bathroomvisiting florencemarcoduomoluggagelucasights
Reviewed October 15, 2017

Location is a 15-20 minute walk to sites, restaurants and shops.
Rooms are simple but comfortable .
Staff are helpful and go out of their way to help .
Breakfast is simple but adequate and staff are so friendly .
Room opened on the street which I loved, looking out at the people .

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2017

We were booked at the Giglio Hotel Florence Italy 85 Via Cavour Florence 50129. On the train from Naples we began looking up our hotel online and found no pictures of the room or the entrance. We ( my wife Linda and I ) called the hotel and spoke to a man and asked if we had choices in rooms and what type of accommodations they had, we were told there were lots of choices.

Upon arrival at the hotel Giglio I was immediately alarmed the entrance was dark, very decayed and worn ( not in a charming old world way) The driver helped me drag our bags into the entrance up the dingy stairs into an area which had one yellowed florescent light bulb in it’s entirety. The lift was the size of a refrigerator, it had a door then a metal grate to pull open and then shutter doors in addition. I was worried about the weight of our luggage and it was a two person max lift according to the sticker. The driver and I proceeded on the lift with the luggage and I had my wife Linda wait downstairs while we went up.

Upon exiting the lift I saw what can best be described as a counter like in a old kitchen I was pretty much in shock. The person at the front desk was unkempt wearing a grungy caterpillar tractor t-shirt, I asked for help and he said he was in charge (SHOCKING). Behind the counter was a round sink they wash dishes in, a white couch was pushed into a corner and it was filthy and covered with black dirty hand prints. I told the man in charge that I had called and that I wanted to see the options for an upgraded room. I was shown two rooms which was sufficient evidence that I would not put my wife nor I in this horrific place.

The rooms smelled like they had been closed up for centuries and just opened that day, they were dark the furniture was not just old it was was decrepitude, with sagging beds that were noticeable unstable with thin blanket looking cloths on them. In the room with a window you had a 6inch step down in the room the floors were not level it was hazardous to say the least. The windows were covered with shutters with peeling green paint covered in dust. The window needed to be forced open so he could show me their filthy sad looking panes looking down into a area with an old car in it and a boom laying on the ground. The second room was just as bad if not worse and boasted a balcony covered in weeds that were so tangled and thick you could barely see through them not to mention the balcony was maybe 1.5 m X .5 m ( 2 feet X 3 ft) unusable.

We are not rich American’s that need to be pampered we live a simple life in a simple home, we are 60 + and this is our first trip to Italy. The previous two hotels we stayed at in Italy were both very simple hotels, no frills, not fancy rooms, not were they especially modern. But what I can tell you is they were very clean, well organized, and staffed with courtesy and wonderful people to assist you. We had to sit on the street for over an hour while people worked diligently to find us an affordable place to stay. We walked through the street with our luggage which experienced a broken wheel from being pulled over the stones. This has become a hardship for us as we had to rebook a 5 night stay at great expense to us that we had not anticipated, through no fault of our own. We expected a clean, safe and well lit place to spend our nights in Florence and that is not what we got.

I have attached the pictures that I have, once the man in charge realized I was not going to stay he forbid me from taking anything else.

Stayed: August 2017
5  Thank Linda B
Reviewed September 29, 2017 via mobile

I debated whether to rate this hotel a 2 or a 3. Two is poor, three is average. Overall it was average. The service was good, the noise made the overall stay very poor in our opinions. The service was good though and they are very nice people that speak English very well. Very proper and formal and willing to help with any concern.

The room we stayed in was a descent size with the disabled washroom so it had a large bathroom.

Despite being old and creaky and in need of some updates it was bearable. But bearable is pretty bad when it's your vacation to Europe. Every door squeaked loudly, toilet flushing and water rushing was heard all the time, a sewage smell wafted into the room every now and again and to top it off on the third night we discovered the constant banging and thumping was because the hotel room was situation below a university dorm lobby. The foot traffic was absurd. Of which we realized the room location was absurd. Of course there would be noise in an old building but the amount of noise we were contending with was ludicrous. Every stomp it squeaked and rattled and sounded like moving furniture. After complaining three times we asked to switch rooms and were told no other rooms were available. So we put up with it and vowed to write a review here so people could know.

It's not a typical hotel. It's a shared apartment space or converted floors in a larger building.

Despite that issue, the breakfast was OK with decent options and hard boiled eggs and croissants and mixed fruit medley and jams and juices and toast.

Location wise it's a bit of a walking distance from things and on a main bus route. There are a couple nice restaurants nearby.

I enjoyed the experience as part of my bigger stay in Europe but if I were to do it over again I'd not book here.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graeme J
Reviewed September 18, 2017

Our stay at the Giglio hotel was most enjoyable.  Luca on the Front Desk was most exceptional with his knowledge of Florence and the local cuisine.  As a person, he was absolutely charming and, although I have stayed in many hotels, I will always remember how assiduous and helpful he was.

For me it was 4/5 experience, and only narrowly missed being a 5/5 due to there being no tea & coffee-making facilities in our room.  Nevertheless, I would recommend the Giglio for anyone visiting Florence. Good value-for-money, great location and a stay made extremely pleasant due to the first-class attentiveness of the owners and staff.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2017 via mobile

This was my fpurth stay here. I keep returning because it is like staying with friends rather than a hotel. As usual, the reception was warm and welcoming. The rooms range from small to good size. They are clean and comfortable if a bit worn. There was a problem with the first room they gave me but immediately changed it.

They breakfast was good, cappacino, juice, yogurt, fruit, bread, meat and cheese. Also a few pastries were available.

My only complaint is that the wifi didn't really work in either room. It was odd because a wifi repeater was just outside the door to the second room. My tablet connected but lost the connection repeatedly. It worked fine in the lobby and breakfast room.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo