“Amazing Location - Staff..not so much”
Review of De Lanzi

De Lanzi
Ranked #231 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 12 July 2011

This hotel was pretty difficult to find. We found the street, but the numbers are all out of order, so we pretty much knocked on every door on the street asking for this hotel. In the night however, you can probably see it quite easily from the tacky neon lit sign. When we walked in, I was pretty disappointed from what I saw from the photos, but sheets and bathroom were clean, which were most important. The decor was just very dated.
The location is wonderful. From the breakfast room, you can see a small sliver of the Duomo, which is great when you want to take a mid-day shower. Breakfast was included, and it was pretty good, with coffees, teas, fruit, pastries, salami and cheeses, yogourt, etc
One thing to note though is that the staff is completely useless. We asked for directions to a restaurant, and the young man pointed us in the complete wrong direction... we asked the hotel to book advanced tickets to Uffizi and they couldn't, and didn't follow up on it, so we had no idea whether it was booked or not. Only the morning staff (the manager) handled things, so if you asked anyone else, they weren't able to help. We asked to change the room because the air conditioning wasn't strong enough and was told to ask the manager the next morning, we asked about the Chianti wine tours, and they didn't know the price, etc
Overall, we think this hotel was pretty reasonable, it was good value. If they had free internet access I would be tempted to give it a 4-star considering its price but the lack of internet and service did prove to be a little inconvenient.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for De Lanzi

Reviewed 13 June 2011

My mother and I had reservations at De Lanzi, and were surprised with the offer of upgrading to their nearby apartment, for the same rate. The staff helped us walk our bags the couple of blocks to the newly refurnished apartment. It was very clean, newly redone, with huge shuttered windows that opened right onto the Piazza della Repubblica . . . and (I'm not kidding) as we arrived a woman was singing opera right below our window. We loved our stay there and would heartily recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

De Lanzi is brilliantly located near major attractions and is across the road from GROM, an amazing gelati shop! The hotel rooms and breakfast are basic but comfortable, the reception staff are very friendly and helpful. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lozzie87
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed here with elderly family members. My first impression was not positive as parts of it looked rather in need of renovation, and my single room was so small I could touch both walls at the same time. However, it was clean, and the location was very convenient. My bathroom had been recently renovated and was a reasonable size. The breakfast was fine for a day or two but dull after that. The coffee was disappointing; we look forward to having really good coffee while in Italy, but this came from a machine. The staff were generally helpful. It was a good choice for us in the end because its location meant that we did not have far to walk to many of the sights and could easily return between activities . The bells of Giotto's tower woke us up early in the morning, which was fine for us as we wanted to get an early start, and it is a much nicer way to wake up than an alarm. I would recommend it for young people, the elderly or others who don't have much money to spend, but would not recommend it for those who really want to enjoy the time they spend at the hotel or want to feel a little pampered while on holiday.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Very convenient location. Directly across the street from GROM (the BEST gelato you will ever taste). Walking distance to all attractions. The front desk staff are the gems in the crown that is hotel De Lanzi. They are incredibly helpful. They will make reservations for you at all of the museums (a must if you wish to avoid long lines). Breakfast is included with your room. It is nothing spectacular but it is free (which can't be said for most hotels) and was a pleasant way to start the morning.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank europetravel2011
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We were heading over for a wedding in Florence and did not book the recommended hotel in time but the wife found this place. I then had a look here after that and we were a bit nervous that some of the reviews were not great.

In a nutshell, you get what you pay for. This was half the price of the recommended boutique hotel and not as plush, however, we were provided with a helpful reception, good sized, quiet, clean room. For those how wish to fall out of the hotel into the centre of Firenze but do not wish to pay through the nose this fits the ball. I would not book it for a romantic anniversary weekend nor recommend it to silver surfers spending the inheritance but for professionals practising fashionable austerity this works fine.

One note we found the staff fine. The receptionists dealt with our booking irregularities very well, considering we had booked via my wife's work email which uses her maiden name and turned up without the planned babe in arms as we had left her with the grandparents.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My friend and I decided to head to Florence for a long weekend. FInding a hotel was tricky because most of them are expensive! Though the reviews were mixed for De Lanzi, the location could not be beat plus I booked directly on their website and pre-paid to take advantage of a 10% discount. Well, we were perfectly satisfied with our stay! Everyone was so nice to us at the reception, the room had a gorgeous view of the Duomo, and the beds were comfortable. It was a typical Italian city hotel in my opinion. No perks, but a great stay. If you are looking for good price for a great location without frills, I would recommend you stay here. Plus the best gelato shop, "Grom" is right across!! You must try to gelato here!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends