“you should avoid”
Review of Hotel Sampaoli

Hotel Sampaoli
Ranked #317 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 22 June 2011

We stayed at Sampaoli for two nights. We booked the double private ensuite for 78 euros with an bathroom just for us. There is no photo of our room on internet and they know why. We felt like sleeping in an old kitchen. The room was very small and very dark, there were tiles on all the walls and the door was made of glass so that the corridoors light was shining into the room all night long and we reallz heared everything! Bathroom was ok. The girl at the reception gave us 2 times wrong information for parking place and for where to have breakfast. parking is available far away (15 min to walk) for very "cheap" 20 euros per day. you cant even pass by car for two minute in front of the hostel to take out your luggage because there will be some army men from the house next to the hostel screaming at you. finally we think it was an expensive stay for very little comfort. if you want to sleep quiet and if you are arriving by car you should prefer to walk some minutes more to the center of florence ...

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tina77718
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sampaoli

Reviewed 15 June 2011

Truly, truly, truly the most uncomfortable hotel stay I have ever had in my entire life. The bed was not a bed as much as a thin sheet over a torture chamber of springs. It is difficult to enjoy Florence if you are so cranky and miserable from not sleeping that you can't think straight (although Florence is so wonderful somehow you still manage).

For what they charge at the very least they should have decent beds. But a terrible TERRIBLE bed, no breakfast, a strange setting (in an apartment building), and a fair distance from the city centre all adds up to mean that your dollars would be better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank erinisinire
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We found the staff friendly and enjoyed being a couple extra blocks from the hustle and bustle. Some good cafes surround that seem to be less touristy and more frequented by locals, probably due to the location next to the university. A do-able walk from the train station. Our bed was pretty terrible, but that was our only complaint.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 1 June 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in mid-May. Riccardo helped us pre-book an Accademia visit about a month earlier, which was much appreciated. I've read a number of complaints regarding his response time over email - I have only praise for it. The staff onsite was also helpful in providing a map and pointing out some different restaurants.

We stayed here for location, proximity to sites, and price...all ranked high on our scorecard. Walk from the train station to the hotel wasn't bad. Major sites were then just another short walk away.

Minus one star for the quality of the mattresses. We brought a sound machine so not sure how to respond to some of the other complaints about the noise.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank PossumJr
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Hotel Sampaoli was a 15 min walk from the station (with luggage) and about 10 min otherwise. There are no lifts and two floors of very narrow stairs that we had to climb with our heavy luggage to reach the place. We were greeted by Riccardo who along with his brother (Leonardo) runs this place. He was a pleasant and helpful person, who after setting up in our room (double bed with attached bathroom) gave us a map of Florence and marked out places for us to eat and visit. They also helped us with bus timings for visiting The Mall, which is in Reggio.
The rooms and bathroom were ordinary. The bathroom had very funny accordion style door which you had to pull around yourself. Mattress on the beds were not too great. Our room was next to a shared bathroom and it was a little noisy because of that in the night, which disturbed my sleep as I am a light sleeper.
The location is good for sight seeing.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Surabhi_Shori
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Unfortunately, I did not read the previous review posted on 26 Apr. There is obviously a ploy that have been trying on many customers. Avoid this place at all cost.
I had booked the Sampaoli more than 2 months ago via booking.com based on decent reviews and the relatively central location. Two weeks before my arrival, I emailed the hotel direct to confirm my booking and requested for a response but they never replied. On the day of arrival, after climbing 2-3 flights of stairs, I was told the place was overbooked (it was written on their daily stay records) as they forgot my booking which they claimed was made too long ago. The young lady feigned ignorance about my email, saying she did not know about it. And said arrangements were made at their sister hotel Hotel Benvenuti (112 Via Cavour ) which was only 10mins walk away and is even better as it is a 2* hotel. They indirectly forced us to take the room as it is impossible for tourists like us to lug our luggage and knock on door of other hotels to find a replacement. It took us close to 20mins to reach there from Sampaoli as it was located at the extreme end of Via Cavour. And from Benvenuti it was 40mins walk from train station, unlike Sampaoli which should be within 15-20mins walk. Hotel Benvenuti is much like a dump like what reviewers have wrote for them. We paid the same rate as for Sampoli but still think we were overcharged for the quality.

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank ydis
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Me and my girlfriend were due to stay here a few days ago but after trying to contact Sampaoli a few times before arriving we were met with an apology. The Hotel/Hostel is a bit of an effort to get to from the station with suitcases and the stairs are actually a pain to climb, thankfully, we only had to do this once....(I should say location wise for attractions this place is really good).

AFTER climbing the stairs, as I said we were met with an apology, this apology consisted of the following:

"Yeah, there was a mixup with emails and errr, well, it was our fault". Owner
"Fair enough", I thought.
"Yeah errr, because of the mixup you don't have a room to stay here..." Owner
"????", I began to shudder as my girlfriends eyes burnt into the side of my head after having left me responsible with booking...

Long story short, we were moved to the Hotel Benvenuti further away from the attractions but quite a nice walk in. We were given a huge room to apologise and a moderate breakfast. I just thought that people should know about this before considering booking here as for a short period it very nearly RUINED our holiday. Fortunately it appeared the owner of Sampaoli was part-owner of the 2 star hotel, which I would recommend actually, we paid about 50euros a night each and I felt that was nice. On the other hand this review is about Sampaoli, who lost our booking effectively after making no effort to contact us about doing so even though they had more than enough emails from me prior to the visit I can assure you!

As I didn't actually stay here, I feel I can't comment on anything else further than location, which I would have to say is excellent, Florence isn't very big and this place is close to the station and close to the attractions, whilst being in what seemed to be a quiet neighbourhood!

Hope this helps you choose your stay! Don't hesitate to contact me over any more details!

Top restaurant to visit in Florence - Quattro Leoni (4Leoni), just over the PonteVecchio with nice staff and a good menu! Be prepared to ask about the menu though, it's all in Italian, not a word of English on there! REALLY nice food though :)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple