“Pessimo servizo - Bad service!!”
Review of Hotel Royal

Hotel Royal
Ranked #230 of 412 Hotels in Florence
florence
“Pessimo servizo - Bad service!!”
Reviewed 6 May 2010

Bad service!! the apartment isn't clean! So noysi apartment!!

Bad experience in the Royal Hotel.

Ugly location!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
Leipzig, Germany
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We were booked into Florence Bb Hospitality with bad results and stayed 2 nights. We found the Royal on the way into the old town the 2nd day and luckily were able to book 5 days for 110Euros incl. breakfast per night. Compared to what we had the Hotel Royal was heaven in looks. Exactly what I had wanted in the first place. A stunning 17th Century hotel with a garden lovely to spend time in even in October. We had great weather. The room was large with old shuttered windows, mosquitos however would arrive in the evening if they were left open too long. This is a problem in all of Florence in case anyone is wondering. After our first bad experience not 2 blocks away on a busy street, we slept really well in our room at the back over the garden, it was super quiet. The rooms were cleaned and linen changed every day. No mold or grime. The only unfortunate thing was the surly attitude of most of the staff. (Only 2 smiled and were helpful) the rest no matter what day it was were unfriendly. The breakfast was the SAME EVERY DAY, sweet white rolls, the same cheese & processed ham, cheap juice and bad automated coffee. VERY UNFORTUNATE considering the Mercato 3-4 blocks away is a haven of fabulous Italian produce. Do yourself a favour and go there for breakfast. Coffee there is 1euro per cup unlike 2-4Euros depending on which Bar or Cafe you go to and the people are super friendly. Excellent location, away from the noisey centre of town, with a supermarket on the same street. Also, a small cafe and fabulous restaurant Bronzino just steps away. All in all, we were satisfied with the hotel and our luck.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Spschlomer
toronto
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Upon check in was given the option to stay at room 24 ( only nice room I saw) or in another terrible dirty room, we were tired and decided to take the lovely room by the garden. A/C did not work well and although the room was comfortable I found the service, front desk attendants which seem to be family members arrogant and rude. Breakfast was maybe the worst I ever had in Italy. We stayed only one night because we found that for the same price we could stay at a much better hotel offering a good breakfast. We advised the woman at the front that we were leaving and we were informed that not only we had to pay cash but that the rate for only 1 night was 30E more... we refused and were treated poorly . These people need to get their act together if they think that because they own a "palace" they can treat their guest as dirt and show no respect.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank martytoronto
worcestershire
Reviewed 15 July 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Royal in 2007 and I was just reading the reviews out of curiosity and am amazed that the hotel has received such poor reviews. We went out of season so the cost was reasonable - £60 per night for a double including breakfast. We thought the hotel was lovely andthe staff very friendly. The town centre was walking distance. I used to live in Florence and now work in tourism and for £60 per night I thought this was excellent value for money. Spotlessly clean, ok so the bar wasn't brilliant, but we had a drink, breakfast wasn't brilliant but we ate and we didn't have a car so didn't need to pay for parking. I would definitely stay there again - the hotel is beautiful and old and Florentine and typical.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 13 April 2008

I booked a single room for 5 days at the Hotel Royal in Florence. The price of the single room was 200$. I was staying to Florence for a conference. I did not have much time available.

Disappointment no1: I arrived at the hotel late in the evening. When I saw the room, I was so surprised! The room was literally 2x2 square meters. It was like a wardrobe. It was extremely small and the window was like a small hole in the wall. I could not believe my eyes! So, I went to the reception and asked them if they had a double room available.

Disappointment no2: The reception was very rude. He gave me the key of the room and he commanded me: ‘Check the room and bring the key back to me immediately!’

Disappointment no3: This double room was bigger and its price was 270$. I decided to stay. I thought of working on my computer for a while before going to sleep. At my surprise, I noticed that there was no socket to charge my computer!

Disappointment no4: I thought then, that I could read instead. I took my book but.... there was no bed-sit lamp next to the bed.

Disappointment no5: I said to myself that everything was fine. I needed to call my partner to inform that I had arrived safely in Florence and to tell him how horrible Hotel Royal was. I tried to call but there was no signal. I called the reception to ask what is digit for calling numbers abroad and he did not know. I tried every possible combination and I did not finally manage, leaving my partner worrying.

Disappointment no6: I decided to go to sleep. I could not sleep because the light of the street was getting into the room.

Disappointment no7: Also, there was a lot of noise from the street, even though I requested a quite room.

Disappointment no8: After several hours, I managed to get some sleep. In the morning, I went downstairs to get my breakfast. It was horrible. They did not even have fresh coffee! It was all a joke.

Disappointment no9: I decided to stay as I did not have the courage and time to start looking for another hotel. My only concern was my mother who was going to stay with me 2 days in that terrible place. I informed the reception about her arrival.
My mother came and she stayed 1 night in my room. When I was about to leave the hotel the next morning, the reception tells me that the charges are higher now that my mother came and she randomly quoted the room for 310$.
It was then that I flipped! They wanted more money but they did not even bother to bring a second towel for my mother! (They only provide 1 towel).

I expressed my disagreement to the reception who instead of listening to what I had to say, she was replying back to me. After staying 3 nights, I packed my suitcase and I went to another hotel!

So, in summary, do not stay in Hotel Royal in Florence!
1. The staff is very rude
2. The rooms do not have sockets to charge your phone/computer
3. The rooms do not have a set of towels
4. The rooms do not have bed-sit lamps
5. The rooms are very noisy especially those looking at the parking of the hotel.
6. The rooms do not always have telephone that works
7. The breakfast is ridiculous
8. The price is expensive for what you get.

• Liked — there is nothing that I liked about this accomodation
  • Disliked — Rudeness of staff, bad quality of all their services, not getting the value of what I paid
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank dchaita1979

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

München
Reviewed 9 October 2007

We stayed in Florence for 2 nights and decided to book the Hotel Royal because of the private parking and the good location to the historical city. The hotel looks like a little palace with a big garden, swimmingpool an private parking. The rooms are very clean, beautiful and quiet. Everything seems to be perfect except the staff and the breakfast! The whole staff was very unfriendly! The breakfast was an ordinary breakfast and not a buffet. You could not take seat in summer at the beautiful terrace in the inside garden to eat your breakfast. But if you would prefer to sit outside in the sun you had to pay Euro 5!!!! Also you had to pay Euro 15 to use the swimmingpool! The fee for the parkingspace was about Euro 20 per day and - you had to pay it on arrival not together with the hotel bill. If you decide to have a drink before you go to bed - don't do that! They have no varity of drinks and the staff is not to be keen on serving the guests.
Summary: the hotel ist very nice and quiet, the rooms are clean and beautiful, the location is perfect, the price is ok - but not the staff and the breakfast! Also the rules of the hotel are curious!

• Liked — location, room, historical ambiance, cleanliness, tranquility, views
  • Disliked — staff, breakfast, inflexible staff
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zeitreisende
Roma
Reviewed 22 September 2007

I'm Italian, and I decided to spend one night in Florence with some friends from Rome.
I contacted the hotel for a last minute planned visit in Florence for a weekend. I had the hotel name from a friend of mine who stayed there long time ago.
I was surprised not to receive any confirmation of my booking sent by fax to them. Although if I arrived to the hotel at 13:00, the reception (not friendly at all) told me that it wasn't possible to check in until 14:00! The facility is quite old and not well maintained, but the most horrible experience of the whole staying was the breakfast on the following morning. People "serving" the breakfast were able just to complain and shout the customers. Cappuccino was horrible (made of water!) so as the rest that they call "buffet" on their website, that is a very short choice of few items (the bread looked very old). For sure the service we had was not the one we should have had for the cost of the room (140€ for a Double room is a real theft).

• Liked — Parking
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple