“First time in Florence”

Hotel Il Bargellino
Ranked #118 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 23 May 2012

A recent trip to Florence brought me and my girlfriends to one of the most interesting spots in the city.  The hotel Il Bargellino on Via Guelfa was recommended by friends and I also had raving reviews on trip advisor.  It became an oasis.   I was greeted by the owners Carmel and Pino when I checked in and the experience of being heard in my own language was truly a relief.  It was like coming home.  Carmel recommended a nearby restaurant, Trattoria Guelfa, which became our favorite.  Thank God she reserved museums for us because the lines to buy tickets were impossible.  The hotel was central to all of the sites.  To my surprise wifi was included in the price.  After long days of sightseeing it was time to relax on the terrace with "Yoghita" the neighbor's cat that randomly appears to entertain Leopoldo, Carmel and Pino's parrot.  The room we had was very clean and the beds were comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 May 2012

I travel and work in Italy and stay at this hotel every time I am in Florence. The location is excellent, a 5 minute walk to the Duomo. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the terrace is amazing. If I ever need anything like a charger for my phone or a hair dryer, the husband and wife owners are more than helpful and accomodating. Understand that in all Italian cities, the historical centers are mostly stone and hard surfaces so naturally they are a bit noisy....I find it charming and if it really bothers you..a room on the terrace is quiet..but really it is not that bad. Also, Florence is known for mosquitos and the hotel provides a little plug in machine that gets rid of them quickly so just ask.

It is a wonderful place to stay and I always meet very interesting travelers on the terrace....which usually results in great conversation and memorable evenings under the Tuscan moon. You can even see the top of the Duomo from the terrace!

I would never stay anywhere else. It is a joy.

Room Tip: i always choose the economical singles but #10 is delightful on the terrrace.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Perfect hotel just minutes from the train station. Carmel was very generous and after requesting a terrace gave us a beautiful room with a double door off the room to a huge common terrace. We were only there for a couple nights but it was a perfect spot to see Florence. She provided us with reservations for the Uffizi Gallery and Accadamia at no charge and had some excellent suggestions for breakfast within a one block radius of the hotel. By the way, the first time in 2 weeks we had bacon and scrambled eggs since coming to Italy so thanks Carmel. Great place, don't miss it and hope you get the terrace room.

Room Tip: We had room 9. Big, roomy and opens to the terrace. She won't guarantee them but she promises t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I never write reviews, good or bad, but this place was so bad I had to. My husband and I just came back from a 10 day vacation in London and Italy. We spent 2 nights in Florence which I would consider 2 of the worst nights I have ever had on vacation. We were given room #6 (which seems to have a lot of bad reviews and no photos on here). The room was OK by inital appearance but it was on a very noisy street. Then you walk into the bathroom through a metal door and while they told us the bathroom was clean, i wouldn't walk in there without shoes on. The white tiles were no longer white, and hadnt been for a while. There was also a smell. We dont know if it was a sewer line or spetic tank smell but it was nausiating especially to me who is 4 1/2 months pregnant. My husband promptly went down and asked if there was another room; there was not. We told them about the smell and how dirty the room was and they said "so you look for a new hotel?". No offer to help or anything. So for the rest of the day we were searching out new hotels to no avail. We decided to stay there the first night hoping we could get one for the second night, no luck and they probably knew that. The smell in the bathroom was so bad I couldnt even shower without getting sick. I used my sister in laws shower (#8) which was MUCH nicer and had a walk out to the terrace. The noises from the streets kept me up all night. We couldnt shut the window because they wanted 10euro to give us the remote for the AC, and I certainly wasnt giving them another cent. So mosquitos came in our room all night. There was also street cleaning at about 3 in the morning one night. We complained about the room again and the smell and they just said "yes, it comes and goes". THATS IT! No offer to help or do anything! I also did not feel safe walking in the neighborhood even though my husband said it was fine. They also have a bird that sqwaks all day. So we paid for a room with bed and no usable shower. I could have stayed in a nicer hostel. All I left Florence with was some mosquito bites and a bad taste in my mouth.

Room Tip: Ask for any room but room #6
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
ILBargellino, Owner at Hotel Il Bargellino, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Dear Sir and Madam:

Congratulations on the upcoming new addition to your family. Pino and I are sorry that your recent visit to Florence was not as pleasurable an experience as it could have been.

We wanted to take a moment to address your concerns about our small family hotel. And also to thank Trip Advisor for the opportunity.

The section of Via Guelfa we are located on, while not the busiest in town, is still a street in the city’s center, which can sometimes generate noise from passing pedestrians and vehicles.

The bathroom tiles and fixtures, while they are older, are exceptionally clean and completely functional.

Sewer gas is an occasional issue in Florence city-wide since the flood of 1966 and directly correlates to pipe locations within buildings; Because we were completely booked at the time of your stay, we were unable to relocate you to another room in the hotel. However, we could have easily helped you to find another hotel had you asked. Since you were here with
relatives, we did not assume that was an option you were interested in exploring.

Room fans, as well as mosquito repellent devices, are readily available upon request.

A/C is also available for a modest additional fee. Due to skyrocketing energy rates we are unable to offer a/c free of charge at this time.

And lastly, we can assure you that our neighborhood here in Florence is a perfectly safe and family-friendly environment.

We would welcome the opportunity to host you, your brother and sister in law on a future visit to Florence, so as to provide the relaxing and comfortable experience that over 95% of our guests enjoy.

Sincerely, Carmel Coppola

Reviewed 5 May 2012

The location was excellent, very convenient to everywhere we wanted to walk to in Florence. Carmel and her husband could not have been nicer or more helpful. She emailed us an information sheet about sights in Florence when we made our reservation which was quite helpful. Carmel's speaking English is a real plus with no confusion. The room was nicely furnished and the bed very comfortable. We were on the ground floor and right off the lobby, so there was some street noise, but it wasn't really a problem. Although next time I might ask for an upstairs room, we opted for the ground floor because it was the only room left available that had a private bath. The in room refridgerator was a nice bonus. They have a lovely upstairs patio that we would have used more if the weather had been at all warmer. Great location and very convenient to the bus and train stations. The Pizzeria/Ristorante "La Divina Osteria" is just down the street and was excellent! This is a great place to stay to get your bearings in Florence.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Valerie T
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We found this guest house in Rick Steves’ guidebook and, in our opinion, it very much deserved his recommendation.

The location could not be much better. It is a ten minute walk to the Santa Maria Novella train station, the Duomo, the Palazzo Vecchio, the Ponte Vecchio and the Ufizzi Gallery, five minutes to the Academia and Bargello galleries, and about a 20 minute walk across the river to the Pitti Palace.

The room (#9) was very comfortable and large, even by American standards, with good hot water, a refrigerator, coffeemaker, and a double door opening onto a large tiled terrace with a long, shaded table. While we cannot speak for street-side rooms, our terrace-side room was very quiet. It also had very good, in-room wifi, something we have had frequent trouble finding regularly during our (to date) three months traveling in Europe and Morocco.

The proprietors were readily available and addressed all our requests promptly. Carmel, the wife, is from Boston and speaks fluent “native American”—at least as much as a Boston accent allows. Overall, they were very hospitable, even inviting us for a glass of wine the night before we left. It’s very easy to feel at home here.

One service they offer, which we found particularly valuable, was making reservations for us at the various museums that required them.

In general, we were very satisfied with our stay and would recommend this guesthouse highly to others.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JackfromMaine
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This place was a recommended by my husband's Italian barber, who knows Carmel. We couldn't have done better. We only spent a day and half in Florence so we needed something close to the train station where we came and left from. Carmel was great, booked us reservations at Academia and Ufizzi which was extremely helpful especially given our tight timeline. She was there to great us and get us on our way.

As others have mentioned rooftop terrace is amazing and a great place to a glass of wine after dinner. And visit with their very friendly cat. It is a five minute walk to train station, and close walk to all the sights. It did feel like staying at someone's home, in the best possible way. Room was comfy and had all we needed. It was the biggest bargain of our whole Italy trip.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple