Athenaeum Hotel
  • Pool
US$106
US$84
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$117/night.

Orcagna Hotel(Florence)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$100
Orbitz.com
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$112/night.

Hotel Lungarno(Florence)
US$675
US$647
US$385
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsminute walkpiazza san marcohotel is moderngood sizeaccademia galleryother hotelsrooms are nicecomfortable staycentral stationbus stopfive nightsbreakfast was includedmajor attractionson footstreet noisebreakfast roompietro
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband and I were given this weekend away in this hotel as a present. I must say that it was quite central, the classic room was quite small but had all the necessary facilities. Quite noisy, being on a main road. €23 a day for parking. €4 a day per head for tourist tax!! Buffet breakfast nothing particular about it. Clean, modern and staff very cordial.

Room Tip: ask for a room not overlooking the main road
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2011

The front desk, bar and restaurant staff were exceptionally welcoming and helpful (I was travelling on my own and needed taxis, directions etc.) and the hotel is ideally situated for business locations as well as walking down to the Ponte Vecchio and Duomo (approx 15-20 mins).

Room of a very good size for a "standard" and a handy fridge with lots of space for your own snacks. Decor looking a little tired in room but very clean and comfortable bed and pillows. Could have done with better lighting as room was quite dark.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Hotel Athenaeum is the perfect hotel for your visit to Florence. After my fist visit there last week, I can't go back and I can't wait to recommend it to my family and friends. This hotel has it all -- it has the most amazing breakfast (fresh breads, pastries, meats, fruits), wonderful bar, exceptional restaurant, hotel gym and more. BUT you can't have a bad experience with the staff -- everyone from the front desk to the barternders/wait staff are top notch. They are all there to make sure you have a wonderful experience and will do anything they can to enhance, help and guide or solve problems! This hotel ALSO is the perfect location -- not even 3 blocks from the DAVID and probably 5 from the Italian Market, it provides a wonderful walk to and from your daily activities!
This beautifully done hotel is the perfect spot for buisness or pleasure!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2011

My husband and I came to this hotel on our honeymoon to Italy. On the surface, this hotel is modern and artsy, and wowed us 20-somethings...at first. Although the rooms are somewhat small, the decor and use of space was good.

Looks aside, I would not recommend that anyone stay at this hotel. As a whole, the staff was either hot or cold. Super-friendly and helpful sometimes, and rude and unaccomodating at others. They have free wifi and bikes you can use, which was great. But the showers are tiny and won't stay hot if you're showering at the same time as others.

When the two of us newlyweds arrived at the hotel, they told us all they had were two twin beds. We pleaded to change rooms, explaining that it was our honeymoon. "No, it is not possible-we are all booked up." Our reservations were made a month in advance, and they had been notified that we were on our honeymoon. We still ended up with twin beds but they were pushed together. So, we got our honeymoon bed with a deep crack in the middle.

On our second night at the hotel, we were kept awake until 1:30am by a wild and insanely loud party at the hotel restaurant. I called reception once around 11pm just to check on how much longer it would be going on. No real answer. Second time, I called around 12:30am. I asked how much longer the party would be going on and if they could do something about the noise. Reception was rude and kept telling me "This is not possible", "This is not possible...we have over 100 people here..."

My advice is do not stay here if you value your sleep! Four star hotel? Probably more like 2 or 3.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank Jac326
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Well, it’s a fairly cheap hotel for its class, a brisk walk from the city centre. It’s okay, I suppose, but not inspiring. I wouldn’t recommend it to a friend, and I’d never want to go back. But it’s not so bad as to spoil the loveliness of Florence.

I can’t think of a more apt way to describe it: in Yorkshire, we have an expression “all fur coat and no knickers”, conveying the idea of trying to conceal a basic shabbiness with a façade of elegance. The place tries to give the impression of arty / boutique hotel style, and sort of succeeds - from a distance. But when you look more closely, you find a distinct tackiness not far beneath.

The place looks like it was fairly recently decorated, but decoration alone can’t conceal the shabby bits that aren’t covered by wallpaper. The electrical fittings in my room looked as if they are made from Bakelite, and half of them seem to be redundant. My shower unit looked grimy. The toilet was installed strangely high off the floor; I’m a tall chap, but even so, its height made it uncomfortable to use – numb legs and pins and needles in the feet after a while; if you use it, you might want to find something to rest your feet on.

When I arrived on the first day, my bed had a counterpane, but this mysteriously disappeared on the second day - the bed I returned to just had a sheet and that’s all. Fortunately, there was a blanket in the wardrobe, but the fact remains: whoever made up my room didn’t care enough to properly re-make the bed.

The curtain in my room was absurd. The window had a single curtain track with a stop in the middle, presumably to accommodate two curtains, one at each end, to be drawn together from the ends to the centre stop at night, and drawn apart to the ends of the track in the morning. How many curtains did it have? One. Even funnier, the curtain spanned the centre stop, meaning that it was impossible to either fully close or fully open the curtain. Whoever installed that curtain was either remarkably stupid or totally indifferent about his/her job. And apparently no-one else cared enough to remedy it.

And that quite sums up the hotel. There’s a distinct impression that no-one cares much, and I was left wondering what else was done half-heartedly that I didn’t notice. In addition, my fellow guests were often raucous, and noise transmission between rooms was surprisingly bad for what seemed a fairly modern building.

Room Tip: Just check your room carefully before you accept it
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo