“Just Ok”

Hotel Davanzati
Ranked #12 of 410 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Pro :
Excellent location.
Very clean. Nice towels and linens.
Good-size suite. Very quiet.
Nice balcony, with no view however.
Good breakfast with many choices.

Con:
Shower water pressure very weak.
I had plenty of trouble with the TV from the moment I arrived. When I told the grandson (the youngest of the three men), he didn’t do anything about it. I asked him again, he told me that he would come up but sent the porter instead who had no idea what he was doing. The TV was fixed eventually by the son who is really the most important person in the hotel.
I asked the grandson for ice, he told me that I have to reserve ice in advance because the ice is used for the happy hour! Considering the fact that I never went to happy hour, the least he could have done is give me as much ice as I wanted. He sent me to the barman, who gave me 10 cubes of ice which is obviously not enough to ice a bottle. When I needed ice again, I bought 5 bags of frozen vegetables instead of begging for a little ice. The last day I was there, I told the son that I was going to need a bag of ice for the evening and he gave it to me.
Finally, I told the son that I wanted to go on a tour of the vineyards in Tuscany and he said that he would tell me if it was possible for the next day. The next day after breakfast, the son asked me if I was ready for my tour. I answered that I had no idea what he was talking about. He said that he told his son to tell me but obviously that wasn’t done.
If you go to this hotel, I recommend you deal with the son and not the grandson. I found him to be nonchalant and fake: the kind of person who says he cares but doesn’t really give a you know what.
I always rate places on how they deal with problems and not if there are problems and in this case they didn’t deal with the problems very well.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank Baixas

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Had a wonderful two day stay at the hotel. The staff was extremely competent in terms of providing assistance with tours and dining recommendations. Hotel is in very nice condition, breakfast is good, and the happy hour is a nice touch. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel after researching and reading all of the reviews on this website. I don't write reviews, but felt compelled to write one after my stay. All of the exceptional reviews are well deserved. I am generally disgusted by the thought of staying at hotels and never sleep well or feel really comfortable. However, I slept so well at Hotel Davanzati, that I ended up having to set my alarm to make sure I didn't sleep through my vacation. The rooms are very clean, and I did not experience any of the issues with smell or water temperature as a previous reviewer posted.

The items offered for breakfast were also very good, and it was free!! There was a nice variety of things offered to get the morning started. The nice lady who worked in the breakfast room each day was quick to keep things stocked and very accomodating and friendly.

The location of the hotel is perfect. It is a very short walk to all of the major sights. Upon arriving at the airport in Florence, I grabbed the bus (€5) to the SMN train station and walked to the hotel from there. Very easy and quick!! There are the stairs leading up to the hotel, but I didn't find this to be an issue at all, even after traveling from the US and being very tired.

All in all, the Hotel Davanzati is a great hotel! I definitely got the sense that the family that runs this hotel really wants you to have an enjoyable time while staying with them. From Tomasso's dining suggestions and offers to make reservations if you like, to Fabrizio's help with getting you what you need, the level of service is top notch! If I ever go back to Firenze, Hotel Davanzati will be my first choice for accomodations!!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank SolitudeInParker
Reviewed 15 March 2012

My husband and I just stayed at the Davanzati for 2 nights. I couldn't wait to write this review as usually I would write my reviews after I got home. There is this question on my mind why this hotel get highly ranked no 1 at TripAdvisor as I couldn't agree.

I had to re-read the terribles about this hotel and I find myself agreeing to 5 out of 7. I so regretted not to pay more attention to them before I book the hotel.

To be fair, I'd like to list out both the good and the bad points.

Good points: 1) the hotel tells you right away there's 20+flight of stairs in order to reach the hotel. so if you have lots of luggages or walking problems, just don't stay there. That's really good advice, take it, it's a pain to squeeze into the small elevator after the flight of steps. 2) Friendly staff 3) Wifi at no extra cost 4) iPads and free laptop to use

Bad points: 1) cold breakfast items, not too fresh, the only warm thing is toast you made with the toaster 2) wierd smell in room 3) bathroom facilities outdated, water flow irregular, temperature irregular at times 4) old hair dryer looked very broken and only worked for limited time due to overheat problems 5) the room windows are very wierd, no direct sunlight can hit the room 6)closet also has wierd smell 7) in room furniture dirty and has wierd smell 8) zero amenties except for 1 piece of soap and 1 shower cap 9) water from shower doesn't seem clean, seems like to have some kind of oil in it

With so many bad points, I can only wonder why the trip advisor community seems to like the hotel so much. Maybe they really like the free wine during happy hour, or maybe it's only the room I stayed in has the problem I described.

In summary, I would not recommend nor stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank tweetymai
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Last week I have been staying at the Davanzati hotel in Firenze for four nights during a medical congress. It is a nice place indeed, very well located with an extremely kind staff; from the reception people to the breakfast and cleaning staff. When travelling professionally I typically stay at more high end hotels but didn’t regret at all having chosen this hotel. My choice was based on the good reviews on this site and they are well deserved.

For me a most convincing element as to appreciation is that quite a few Italian couples were staying at the hotel as well. For me as a European, this is at least as reassuring as seeing that a hotel has mainly American guests, because of their different priorities and needs, like communicating easily in English, amounts of food, size of the beds etc.

I would definitely stay there again if I had to go back to Firenze again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank HendrikGhent
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Florence is an amazing city and I will never return without the intention of enjoying another stay at Hotel Davanzati. We stayed in five hotels in Switzerland and Italy in August 2011 and this was our favorite. We instantly felt welcomed and thankful to have chosen to stay there. I don't remember what we paid, but it honestly doesn't matter. If it was high, it was totally worth it. If it was low, we got the deal of a lifetime. My fiance and I still drink prosecco with fond memories of the Davanzati happy hour. Thank you!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Our stay was just for overnight to catch the morning train, but everything was very nice and the hotel staff exceptional.
Thank you, we travel this way often so we will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business