“Our Favorite Hotel in All of Italy”
Review of Hotel Davanzati

Hotel Davanzati
Ranked #11 of 411 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 March 2012

The Hotel Davanzati was by far our most favorite hotel during our honeymoon. It is centrally located in Florence and is very accommodating for Americans. We will definitely go back!

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Davanzati

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We returned to Davanzati Hotel for a second time after in six years. We were treated like old friends. We really enjoyed chatting with Fabrizio again. The hotel's location is about as good as one could ask for, close to many things one enjoys in central Firenze. Some good eating spots are nearby.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

We love this hotel!

We got a free upgrade to the junior suite (on honeymoon), the owners are very hands on and they personally attend to your needs and inquiries, the location is perfect, and the price is reasonable. Happy hour is from 6:30pm-7:30pm and they serve red and white wine on the house with some chips and nuts etc. Great way to wind down from a tiring day of touring the city. I would definitely return to this hotel on my next visit to Florence.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed at the Davanzati for five days with my sister and her husband. We loved everything about the hotel and it was certainly the right choice for our first trip to Florence. We had two rooms joined by a small terrace area, ideal for a nightcap after we returned from dinner. The hotel is located right in the centre of Florence, perfect for sight seeing but not at all noisy at night. The rooms were lovely, with lots of character and we really enjoyed the breakfasts each morning. However, it's the staff that really make this hotel stand out from the crowd. Rarely do you find hotel staff so genuinely helpful. Anything we asked for - directions, restaurant suggestions and bookings, transport, taxis to the airport - everything provided with a smile. On top of all this, the big bonus was Happy Hour where the breakfast room is transformed between 6.30 and 7.30pm every day into a candle lit venue for complimentary prosecco and bruschetta. What a lovely way to start the evening! Many thanks to Fabrizio, his delightful wife, his charming son and his very hard working father for making our stay so memorable! Grazie!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank monicadrew
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Pro :
Excellent location.
Very clean. Nice towels and linens.
Good-size suite. Very quiet.
Nice balcony, with no view however.
Good breakfast with many choices.

Con:
Shower water pressure very weak.
I had plenty of trouble with the TV from the moment I arrived. When I told the grandson (the youngest of the three men), he didn’t do anything about it. I asked him again, he told me that he would come up but sent the porter instead who had no idea what he was doing. The TV was fixed eventually by the son who is really the most important person in the hotel.
I asked the grandson for ice, he told me that I have to reserve ice in advance because the ice is used for the happy hour! Considering the fact that I never went to happy hour, the least he could have done is give me as much ice as I wanted. He sent me to the barman, who gave me 10 cubes of ice which is obviously not enough to ice a bottle. When I needed ice again, I bought 5 bags of frozen vegetables instead of begging for a little ice. The last day I was there, I told the son that I was going to need a bag of ice for the evening and he gave it to me.
Finally, I told the son that I wanted to go on a tour of the vineyards in Tuscany and he said that he would tell me if it was possible for the next day. The next day after breakfast, the son asked me if I was ready for my tour. I answered that I had no idea what he was talking about. He said that he told his son to tell me but obviously that wasn’t done.
If you go to this hotel, I recommend you deal with the son and not the grandson. I found him to be nonchalant and fake: the kind of person who says he cares but doesn’t really give a you know what.
I always rate places on how they deal with problems and not if there are problems and in this case they didn’t deal with the problems very well.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank Baixas
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Had a wonderful two day stay at the hotel. The staff was extremely competent in terms of providing assistance with tours and dining recommendations. Hotel is in very nice condition, breakfast is good, and the happy hour is a nice touch. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel after researching and reading all of the reviews on this website. I don't write reviews, but felt compelled to write one after my stay. All of the exceptional reviews are well deserved. I am generally disgusted by the thought of staying at hotels and never sleep well or feel really comfortable. However, I slept so well at Hotel Davanzati, that I ended up having to set my alarm to make sure I didn't sleep through my vacation. The rooms are very clean, and I did not experience any of the issues with smell or water temperature as a previous reviewer posted.

The items offered for breakfast were also very good, and it was free!! There was a nice variety of things offered to get the morning started. The nice lady who worked in the breakfast room each day was quick to keep things stocked and very accomodating and friendly.

The location of the hotel is perfect. It is a very short walk to all of the major sights. Upon arriving at the airport in Florence, I grabbed the bus (€5) to the SMN train station and walked to the hotel from there. Very easy and quick!! There are the stairs leading up to the hotel, but I didn't find this to be an issue at all, even after traveling from the US and being very tired.

All in all, the Hotel Davanzati is a great hotel! I definitely got the sense that the family that runs this hotel really wants you to have an enjoyable time while staying with them. From Tomasso's dining suggestions and offers to make reservations if you like, to Fabrizio's help with getting you what you need, the level of service is top notch! If I ever go back to Firenze, Hotel Davanzati will be my first choice for accomodations!!

• Stayed: March 2012