“Very nice hotel with excellent staff on Reception”

Villa Tolomei Hotel and Resort
Ranked #132 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

We hugely enjoyed staying here for 2 nights for a 50th birthday party. Food was excellent and the breakfast especially good (as part of the inclusive room price). Staff on reception were so helpful with excellent English and nothing was too much trouble. Service in the bar was slightly slower than I would expect for this class of hotel. Our Room (no 10) was very well appointed, although the sink plug did not stay in and the shower leaked a little. I told the staff and they saw to it. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: December 2017

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

Attentive staff, great location on the outskirts of Florence and huge rooms contributed to a wonderful 4 day stay.
We took advantage of the resorts restaurant and were suitably impressed with the menu and quality of the service.
I would highly recommend this resort.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

When you are lying by the pool at this hotel it's hard to believe you are so close to Florence! We stayed here for 3 nights late September it is a stunning hotel with friendly, helpful staff, good size rooms that are comfortable and have all the facilities you would need. It was a little slow getter no pool service for drinks but everything else was spot on - I would absolutely stay here again!

Reviewed 28 September 2017

There are dozens of 5-star hotels in Florence and choosing one isn't easy. If you want to be in the center of the city and enjoy the hustle and bustle of tourists this is not the place for you. I chose Villa Tolomei because I wanted to wake up in the Tuscan countryside yet be only a short taxi ride (€12) from the Ponte Vecchio.

The hotel is located on a hillside above the city and is surrounded by olive groves and vineyards. There are only 30 rooms so it's always very relaxed and even the pool area that has a great view of the city is never chaotic. If you like you can lift weights in their fitness area (I didn't) or have dinner in the adjacent restaurant (I did). Staying here makes a visit to Florence even more special and gives you the chance to reflect on all the extraordinary things you've seen down below.

Room Tip: Room 15 has wonderful frescoes and table 8 on the terrace has a great view of the city.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alexeicohen
Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I have been travelling for 7 weeks. Staying at Villa Tolomei was by far the nicest place we have stayed.
Right from the moment you pull up until the moment you go the staff we super friendly and professional.
You could not ask for any more.
The food was fantastic.
The rooms were spacious and well appointed.
I would encourage anyone to stay there.
My husband and I celebrated our 30th anniversary.
They made us feel very special.
If there was a 10 star rating I would have given that to them.
Thank you Villa Tolomei for a wonderful time.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

I might say if it were even a 4 star hotel there would be things I might let go, but being a five star hotel, it just doesn't deserve it. Yes, the view of this place is breathtaking, and the place itself but it's a shame they don't take advantage of it's potential. I was organizing a wedding this September and in my mind I had the quality of a 5 star hotel which gave me confidence when you are working abroad, the joke on me, it was CHAOTIC. I do hope they start putting some effort because the venue deserves being treated as a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank PaolaACZ
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

The hotel is lovely, with beautiful grounds and a wonderful view over the city of Florence. The pool area was fantastic and we saw deer running through the olive trees below, all very idyllic. The room was great and the staff very friendly. Breakfast was excellent, with lots of choice.

However, it is not a short walk in to Florence and will take you a good 30 minutes. The walk itself is up and down the hillside so you need to have a reasonable level of fitness. A taxi ride will cost around €10.

The restaurant is very expensive and the room service charge is ridiculous. It's much cheaper and nicer to eat out. We were also disappointed not to receive fresh water every day, something that we would expect from a 5 star luxury hotel. The internet connection was poor at times but in the main ok. If the hotel is committed to being a 5 star luxury destination then they need to iron out these little details and be very clear on the proximity to the city.

I would recommend this hotel if you are using it as a base to see other parts of Florence. It's perfectly positioned to drive out to places like Siena, San Gimignano etc. You'll get the best from this place if you have a hire car.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would certainly go back.