“I liked it! The location is too perfect.”
Review of Hotel Genesio

Hotel Genesio
Ranked #350 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Yes, the location was great for us rail travellers. Plenty of restaurants (affordable), shops, groceries, and younger people in the streets. Very good place to hang out if you are 20-30's or if you prefer young people. Kind of like 'spring break' minus the loudness or the drunkedness.
There is a street market about two blocks away that is fantastic for leather goods and other stuff. The Duomo is three blocks away.
Yes, the staff was extra nice and helpful. there is a dog that sleeps in the lobby and snores.
Yes, the room was clean and comfortable.
Yes, the breakfast was very nice.
Yes, I would recommend the hotel. ABSOLUTELY. We thought it was fun. We loved our stay.

And yes, it is three flights up with no elevator. I have never stayed in a room where I could sit on the toilet and put my toes on the bed. The shower was super tiny. Kind of like opening an umbrella that has a shower curtain attached and trying to shower while banging into the sink. It was not The Embassy Suites but I did not go to Italy to be in the United States.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street to get the most natural light. the streets are not noisy. Keep an o...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Trackstars
There are newer reviews for Hotel Genesio

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our room was large, clean and airy, with windows opening out on a garden, and the hotel is close to Michelangelo's "David" in the Accademia. The staff was pleasant and the breakfast buffet was good. The down side to the hotel, common in the centre of Florence, one must walk up three flights of stairs to reach the hotel. Carrying luggage up so many stairs is tiring, to say the least. There is a parking garage around the corner, but because we arrived later in the evening, I had to park our car in a garage several blocks away. I felt safe enough walking back to the hotel after depositing the car, but didn't relish such a long walk after hauling all the luggage up the stairs. Also, if you book at this hotel and you are driving a car, be sure to review a map showing the streets in the area beforehand -- there are many one-way streets and block-off streets to curb tourist traffic -- it can be quite confusing. If you arrive by train, no problem -- the hotel is not far away from the train station. As others have said, wifi must be used in the reception area, but no problems doing this.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the garden.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in August 2011 as I'd always wanted to visit Florence and the location and price sold me on this hotel. Having seen a number of reviews about the hotel some positive, some negative, I thought I'd give my opinion.
Before I got to Italy I received an email from the hotel asking if there was any info I required. When I stated that I was looking to visit a number of musuems and asked the best way to get tickets without facing long clues, the staff stated that they could book tickets for me. This was a great help and meant that my time was spent on seeing the sites rather than standing in 40c heat. Amazingly helpful staff which made my stay. Yes the rooms are basic, no lift, etc but I would gladly stay again if in the city

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed 23 June 2013

The hotel appears something out of the 1930s a long climb to the 3rd floor where the pictures on this site are nothing like the real place if you go to room 1 don't it is so small and cramped the bed takes up 75% of the room the paint was peeling and the bathroom is so small you have to squeeze past a sink and then a bidet just to go to the toilet and if you wanted a shower you needed to be some sort of contortionist Glad it was only one night it spoilt our time in Florence Use this hotel only as a very very very last resort

Jacqui and Kevin

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel unless you really have to
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Married0509
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I have stayed here for only 2 nights as I was moving on from Rome and into Milan. It was easy to find the hotel from the train station and, although the entrance to the hotel made me wonder what I've let myself into, I was pleasantly surprised to find the staff being very pleasant. The room wasn't massive but that wasn't a problem whatsoever. The breakfast didn't consist of a massive variety of food but it was good enough to fill you in. However, I can see how people would have trouble getting up to the hotel if they had massive bags with them (I only had a small one, and in any case, what's the point of packing so much that you can't lift the bag? :D) I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

Positives: Very close to station & the museum housing Davidis just down the road, breakfast is ok, eveything is clean with no road noise, had our own bathroom (although it was tiny, to sit on te toilet you had your knees against the bday!) we were allowed to leave luggage after check out and the free map is useful.
Negatives: our room was Next to the stairs so very loud with everyone walking up and down at all hours, everything is small, there is no lift, the hotel is also not very well signposted but shared building so to be expected.

Value for money based on location

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 5 May 2013

My husband and I stayed in Sept 2011 - the first night of our honeymoon (the hotel we wanted wasn't available that night so this was an inexpensive low key hotel near train station). We walked from the train station - wasnt the easiest thing ever to find but it was my first time out of the US and we had just arrived in Italy. The hotel is low key, nothing fancy but we enjoyed our stay. The biggest down (which was partially our fault) was the mosquitos - my husband is a mosquito magnet and he got 10 bites on one hand and his hand was swollen our entire honeymoon. Not a huge deal - mainly funny. I say it was partially our fault because we didnt see the repellent plug in next to the bed. Anyway - the rest of the hotel is clean and the staff if ..quiet but friendly. The "shower" is...well there's a drain on the floor of the bathroom and a curtain you can pull around you but basically the whole bathroom is your shower! haha, we didn't mind - we liked the quirkiness/European differences.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple